Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

Heh. I just did the last mission on Io. My light is in the 220s. I died three times in that mission, which is the most I’ve had by far, so it wasn’t too easy for me. Admittedly, I think one of those was a fluke. I got knocked backward and hit the doorway I had come through into a large room, which had been blocked off like a monster closet. Pretty sure hitting that killed me for some reason.

In other news, I’ve fallen in love with the Halfdan-D legendary AR. Extremely ammo efficient and versatile for an AR. And, up until the last big fight, I was running above 50% precision kills, which is extraordinarily unusual for me.

I also had my first exotic engram drop this morning, from a non-heroic public mission. It decoded into a Titan gauntlet I’m never going to wear, but damn it looks amazing with some of the shaders. Why isn’t transmog a thing in this game? I might actually buy a few bucks of silver to be able to use the appearance on another item if I could.

IMG_0557

And Story mode finished. Some really spectacular parts in the last 1/4. Done in 14 hours, I was 215 Power when I finished it. I was disappointed the end video plays the moment you finish with the bad guy, I wanted to take loot from him!

Check with the mail person. If there was a drop, they will have it for you.

No, I don’t think there was drop. That was my complaint, it’s the final boss, a good loot drop from him should be obligatory!

So now that the story mode is over, what is there to do? From what i know

-Adventures (red sword banner)
-World Quests (high level adventures, crown blue banners)
-Lost sectors to complete at least once (mini dungeons)
-Patrols (mini quests in the open world)
-Strikes (3 player coop mission)
-Nightfall strike (hard mode)
-Public Events in Heroic mode
-Crucible (pvp)
-Unique golden chests (chest well hidden in the world, they are a little cross in the map, can only be taken once)
-Challenges (3 random conditions to complete, weekly?)
-Map treasures??
-Raid

In my experience:

-Adventures (red sword banner) Meh, I’ll get around to them eventually but not rewarding so far
-World Quests (high level adventures, crown blue banners) Do these. Or at least check them out, some of them have very good rewards
-Lost sectors to complete at least once (mini dungeons) meaningful reward, but they frequently come up as part of the challenges mentioned below
-Patrols (mini quests in the open world) Good for doing simultaneously with running public events to give you even more faction tokens
-Strikes (3 player coop mission) Useful a handful of times to learn the ropes of each strike, since the Nightfalls are these strikes with some modifiers on top, but once you know the strikes, running these is kind of a waste of time
-Nightfall strike (hard mode) Good challenge, good rewards, resets weekly
-Public Events in Heroic mode Best way to earn faction tokens (to redeem for gear from that planet’s NPC), and a lot of fun to unwind. Guardians working together randomly really can make you feel pretty badass when you trigger a heroic event, a boss gets added to the encounter, and then you all just unload with heavy weapons and supers and wreck the enemy.
-Crucible (pvp) Fun if you enjoy the PvP. I run 4-6 matches weekly, just enough to get the Cruicible rewards token with each character.
-Unique golden chests (chest well hidden in the world, they are a little cross in the map, can only be taken once) Good to hunt down
-Challenges (3 random conditions to complete, weekly?) I think the challenges change daily, and they’re always different for different locations. Good way to get a few extra tokens though.
-Map treasures?? Do you mean Cayde-6 chests? Every week you can buy five “treasure maps” from Cayde that put his specific chests onto your map for whatever planet it is that week. I’ve found a few really cool emblems in these, and they seem to have a better chance at Engram rewards than the random planet chests
-Raid.

Also, “Flashpoints” are weekly goals to hit a certain amount of XP on a specific planet from doing Public Events. Recommended as another useful gear drop.

Totally newbie question but how do I know if a public event is in heroic mode? Sometimes there’s a second boss, sometimes not. Not sure how it is set.

I think some big letters appear on screen when you unlock the heroic mode?

Don’t forget weekly milestones that provide powerful engrams. Those are really good to do but not on your list.

Turin is right, when you trigger a heroic public event there is a big banner across the top of the screen announcing it.

I don’t want to fully go on the tired consoles vs pc argument, but I almost I pity people playing on consoles. The whole game for me is built onto the concept of silky, smooth, slick combat, with robots exploding and people jumping and bullets everywhere, and big part of that is having constant 60 fps. I can only imagine playing with 30 fps diminish the merits of the game a lot.

So there’s a bit of controversy with competitive Destiny 2 play. You see, all console shooters have autoassist aiming with the controller. Destiny 2 is of course a console port and has it too.

Thing is, they put gamepad and mouse+keyboard players in the same PvP matches. So to make gamepad users competitive, its autoassist is supposedly very impactful. VERY impactful. As in, every shot down sights homes in on your target’s head. To such an extent that many PC players without a fair amount of skill, say people who don’t circle-strafe, would do much better in Destiny 2 PC PvP with a gamepad.

OK, so no big deal, right? Well, it is-- because now people are using a XIM4 keyboard+mouse to gamepad translation device, commonly used to cheat on consoles, on the PC. And then you get 90% of the benefit of keyboard+mouse, fast precise controls, plus a very strong autoaim. And those people are fucking dominating.

I’m considering buying a XIM4 myself even though I don’t own a console because it’s so powerful in this game. That’s probably not a good thing.

The solution? Destiny 2 PC needs to separate gamepad and keyboard+mouse players in PvP. They should not compete. Some people would still dominate the gamepad leaderboards with a XIM4, but the keyboard+mouse side would remain clean.

Can’t the device be detected somehow?

If it could be easily detected they would have banned it on consoles. It’s very controversial there also because it provides a tremendous advantage. Just more so on Destiny 2 PC specifically due to the unusually powerful autoassist given to gamepad users to compete with m+k users.

I had no idea the PC version included the auto-aim for controllers. That seems like the crazy part in all this. If you’re playing a FPS on the PC and you are willingly using a controller instead of the keyboard and mouse, I say you should be on your own.

All PC games with gamepad support use autoaim, that isn’t unusual at all. Otherwise the game is basically unplayable due to the imprecision control. Destiny 2 just has a super-strong autoaim.

After a bit of googling, it turns out that you can also emulate a gamepad in software for PS4 remote play and Xbone game streaming. Console cheating has come a long way since I last looked into this in a XIM4 thread a year or so back. There is likely some way to use these programs to cheat on Destiny 2 PC too.

https://tmacdev.com/

I heard the grind started to go from Power 200 (end of story mode) to 260, but imo it wasn’t hard. I just played the content of the game normally, all the adventures and lost sectors (just once, no farming), and that was enough. Hell, I still have to finish two adventures and the world quests.

To me this sounds like crazy elitist master-race talk, sorry. :)

The game was built for a controller and tuned over a great period of time, why would they cripple that when putting it on a different platform that also supports controller?

Especially when that platform has a faster and more accurate control method available - you’d force controllers to be at an even greater disadvantage because you’ve personally decided that no-one on PC should be using one?

I used to be mouse and keys all the way on PC but these days I just want to lazily kick back, and find a controller to be more tactile and fun to use. I like the easier access to buttons, the triggers, rumble, and analogue movement.

I don’t know why you’d want to punish me for enjoying that!

I don’t want to punish anybody for wanting to use a different input controller. But aim assist for PC with a controller muddies the fair play waters. If head seeking aim assist is really happening that’s going to really be a turn off.

These games are unplayable on gamepad without some level of aim assist. The problem isn’t that the assist exists, it’s that it’s tuned far upwards in PvP.

Yes, but players are expliciting cheating using 3rd party hardware to get this advantage (which is getting aim assist for mouse via hardware that makes the game think they’re using a controller).

So I guess anyone dominating in-game with a controller is now a suspect. :)