Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

Just play through the campaign. Do the side quests on each map before progressing to the next campaign mission. If you find Gold items don’t break them down. Hold left trigger on the map screen to show challenges.

Number one, ignore the jaded grousing. All the criticisms are valid, but for a new player (I picked it up on the Thanksgiving sale I think), the game is wicked good FPS fun. Number two, focus on the gunplay, and pretty much ignore most everything else. The game is IMO at its best when you are running around shooting stuff. Number three, don’t obsess over the loot. As you work your way through the story, you’ll get pretty much the boomsticks you need. Number four, a sort of corollary to Number Three, have fun trying out the different weapon types, and playing around with their interactions with different enemy types.

Mostly, just treat it as a traditional first-person shooter with other people occasionally mucking about. If you don’t view it as an MMO-type game, and just ignore the Eververse stuff or end-game bitching, it’s worth the price of entry.

I was also a new player, and I can’t fully agree. Even focusing only on the gunplay the game has a big flaw: it’s too easy.

This is one of those areas where it’s going to depend on the player. For me, it’s about perfect. I find ultra-twitch games where you need the reflexes of a caffeinated leopard waaaay too hard. The only thing I find frustrating in Destiny 2 is jumping stuff, at least as the Warlock. Other than that I find it pretty Goldilocks.

Then again, I’m pretty sure the game is definitely not designed to be a supreme challenge for hardcore shooter players. That would get in the way of its mission to suck money out of the masses, as ineptly as they are actually doing that.

Yeah it’s balanced just about right for me too, filthy casual controller-user that I am. I died a few times but not too many. Some of the repetitive enemy waves go on for too long as it is, I can’t imagine how frustrating they’d be if they were harder. :)

Good tips, thanks! =)

Of course… the real problem is the lack of difficulty settings! :P

But I will say that even if it was too easy, it was an enjoyable romp.

Difficulty settings are a good idea in general, I think, though I find their implementation varies. If making it “harder”:simply involves turning bad guys into bullet sponges, ugh. Destiny at least has a few common things with the bosses; they all have a vulnerability of sorts it seems.

Destiny had modifiers that made bad guys do more damage from arc or void damage and also get more damage from that. Then modifiers to make some type of weapon do more damage than others. That forced you to play differently and using different weapons.

Modifiers are cool.

So, this happened…

I don’t know that specific hand cannon, is it good?

Not particularly, afaik, but I thought a 10 power masterwork was pretty hilarious

Ah, gotcha. I guess technically any Legendary at all has a chance to drop as a Masterwork, but yeah, didn’t think about getting one as a level 10.

It actually came from a 10 power engram from a Dawning gift.

If you look at the stuff available for Bright Dust or what not, the weapons/armor are all level 10 it seems. I guess they want you to equip it and then burn a level 300+ version to upgrade it?

Yeah, but those armors are cosmetics, basically, not something that can typically drop out in the world, and they usually come from the shop, not an engram. Getting a 10 power engram was kind of…odd. But yes, that is how the ones you are talking about work (you would buy a piece and upgrade it with something else)

I got one of those low level things in an engram too, so it’s good to see I wasn’t crazy when I saw it.

Gave this about 4 hours yesterday, and I think I’ll enjoy it. Still a bit confused by the map / missions or whatever, but I like the looks of it so far.
So is it good to join up in a clan early on, or is it not really neccessary if I’ll be playing mostly alone?

If you’re just playing through the single player campaign, there’s no point in joining a clan.

If you’re intending on leveling up a character to near-max level for the post-game multiplayer content like Raids or Nightfall strikes, you’ll definitely want to be in a clan. It’ll give you some extra goodies as other people in the clan do stuff, and it’ll significantly speed up the only form of progression that’s available after power level 270 (powerful engrams). But even then, there’s no point in joining before finishing the main story.

Join early and you’ll perhaps have completed the weekly clan xp milestone by the time you hit 20, then you can get a ‘free’ extra reward for that week. (best to wait until end of week to get the rewards, unless you’re at 334 in which case… go for it!)