Diablo III

Sounds like the difficulty was just too high. Remember, you can lower it all you want in-game - the benefits of higher difficulty fall off a cliff and drown if you are spending 30 minutes killing one boss instead of 30 minutes killing thousands of enemies/elite packs and gaining 5 or 6 more levels, even if that means playing on Hard or Normal instead of Expert, or whatever.

My rule of thumb is how long it takes to kill normal mobs. More than 2 or 3 attacks from my weak/resource generator type abilities and Iā€™m working way too hard for the equipment I have. Once I get a sweet new Legendary that triples my damage output I finish what I was doing (bounty run mostly for the materials post-70) and then up the difficulty, dropping it back down again if I outlevel myself before getting another weapon upgrade.

Nothing before level 70 matters, the journey to 70 is entertaining but the Season doesnā€™t really start until 70, so there isnā€™t any reason to force harder difficulties on yourself until then.

I thought about that 15 minutes into the fight. But I had him down to half health by that point, and there was a lot of momentum and pride invested by that point.

Besides, Iā€™m already playing on the second lowest difficulty, so thereā€™s not much farther down I can go.

I thought all enemies would be scaled to me, but it does seem like when I go to the harder areas in Act I, the fights got tougher and tougher and tougher, and the enemies took longer and longer to take down, culminating in the Butcher who took forever.

Where are they compared to where they normally stand? Like in story mode, they stand near the waypoint after you rescue them. They are no longer there in adventure mode in a fresh season, so if they are in town, which part of town? I confess, Iā€™ve only looked near the waypoint.

No, they do scale to you, what was happening was almost certainly your equipment wasnā€™t keeping up with the rapid levels you gained. So for instance, you go into an area at level 7 and gain 6 more levels really fast, but none of them drop anything better than what you had. The same enemies are leveling up WITH you, so enemies are level 13 now, but still have (mostly) level 5-7 equipment.

Thatā€™s where you make sure to run back to down and salvage all your stuff and try to keep up with crafting. Every few levels I run back to town and see what new things I can craft, for instance. Or hit up a shop keeper and see if they are selling a weapon thatā€™s 48% better than what you have, it makes a huuuuge difference.

Itā€™s less of an issue in the level 30+ range, you start slowing down on gaining levels a bit and have more time to find gear between levels. Plus your crafting options are much greater.

Thatā€™s true, that sounds about right. And I did try to craft things, but options are very limited early on. And merchants that I checked didnā€™t sell anything better than what I was using.

Yeah, not much you can do until the mid-20ā€™s and early 30ā€™s when you start seeing a lot of crafting options for all types of weapons and armor, and youā€™ll have some gems by then too. Thankfully playing on normal is easy for even like a naked character though, so thatā€™s always an option (though honestly Hard is probably the lowest youā€™d need to be, I think).

Thatā€™s what I was thinking last night when I was playing on Hard! :)

Theyā€™re in the same spot for me as Story mode so not sure what you might need to do. Hope they show up!

I always run bounties up to 70, since no drops matter in the slightest except the bounty bag mats (Khanduran Runes and the like).

Can you get your RoRG before 70, or is that 70-only? Eh, not like Iā€™d grind a1 bounties exclusively anyway just from a variety perspective.

I normally level to 70 then cash in the bounties, if iā€™m like at 65 with all bounties completed, iā€™ll just rift to 70 before cashing in.

Honestly, Iā€™m not even worried about what happens after 70 at this point. Who knows if Iā€™ll even be playing Diablo 3 by then? Dark Souls 3 is whispering my name. Ok, not my name, itā€™s whispering ā€œdeeeeeeathā€, but you get the idea.

I just want to reach level 70 during a season, and see what thatā€™s like. Hopefully iā€™ll make some progress tonight. Like Scott was saying, finding equipment in the 20s gets easier, so if I can just get over that hump, I can start crafting my own equipment. Otherwise the journey to 70 is going to take too long.

ā€œHardā€ is ridiculously easy, yeah.

Other drops do matter-- legendaries dropping while you level can be cubed. If you get a Furnace at level 35 or whatever, thatā€™s a happy day.

Getting that goblin ring as early as possible is a insane time saverā€¦ BOOM!
Wonder if you can use two, one on companion and one for yourself.

On my Witch Doctor, I found that ring at level 60, near the middle of Act V.

On Season play last night, my Monk found that ring right before butcher, at level 13. Yay!

Sadly I havenā€™t found any ā€œnormal itemsā€ for the goblin to pick up. When playing story, normal items are everywhere. But when youā€™re going from one bounty to the next, itā€™s rare to run into them.

Grast.

Just started my HC seasonal Monk now.

Saw one person on my friends listā€¦ Paragon rank 493ā€¦ How many days have this season been open for?

When I started playing last night after work, the season hadnā€™t started yet. I think it started around 14 or 15 hours ago now, if someone doesnā€™t need any sleep.

It opened at 5pm PDT yesterday

Canā€™t cube a legendary for its ability without Deathā€™s Breathsā€¦which mean level 60. So, in the first run of a season, you canā€™t rely on the cube for leveling. Second and subsequent characters though are easy-peasy.

Can always grind them for souls though, and you never have enough souls.

Particularly weapons! DPS scales from your weapon and while leveling your output falls off a cliff unless you find an upgrade every 5 levels or so. And by find an upgrade, I mean just got to the blacksmith and make a better as it is a more reliable method to keep on the curve.

Until you get nontrivial crit from gear, jamming the best ruby you can craft into a socketed weapon is a huge dps increase as well.