Diablo Immortal - Stay awhile and pay on your mobile

I’m primarily a PC gamer. In fact, I just built a new machine. I have one current gen console that I play a few games on… but yes, I play games on phone. I also play board games and card games. In fact, if it is enjoyable, and it interests me and is fun, I don’t really care what platform it’s on. I see no reason to exclude platforms just because. I don’t play the heavy microtran games, and despite claims here, there are plenty of games that you pay for that you can just enjoy. No, I did not grow up with cellphones I just… try new things.

Nes I just got a new cpu myself. It’s fun to load new stuff! That’s why I was so sheepish in asking – my thought was Blizz did their homework and figured out the math without thinking about their core.

But I think I’ve showed my age as bit.

Menzo see my post to Nes. I have to agree I may be out of that loop. But doesn’t that excuse Blizz for being in it?

Congrats! I am still waiting for a GPU. I might just cheap out this year and in a few years get a top one when it returns to orbit. It seems silly since everything else is higher end but… nVidia, blah. It’s been sitting in my living room untouched waiting for a good video card to put in it.

Oh I am sure they did. They keep saying global too. They’re probably going to make a ton of money on this. I still question using NetEase, but I think biggest misstep here was pitching it the way they did, not the idea of a Diablo mobile game itself. Ton of money. They don’t really need their top fans in order to make bank on it so… well they did what they did.

Mobile has a lot to offer, but the app stores are a lot like Steam. I don’t browse them. I don’t care what the top sellers are or what was released today. Just like Steam, lots of junk and noise. I go in knowing what I want based on advice from friends, reviews, or sometimes sales and the rep of who made it.

I’ll tell you what though, the generations behind us, they’re on tablets and phones, 3,5, 7 years of age, and they’re used to free first and buy later. I won’t reject that business model outright but I typically don’t buy into those. the Asmodee games, they have in app purchases but it’s not to get rid of cool-downs or unlock levels, it’s to get the expansions for the most part. That’s just one example.

So Nes when you say you are waiting for your gpu – uh I hope I didn’t sell myself short with mine. I ordered a dell high end and it runs (for example) Warhammer 2 super great. And it runs (though I don’t play) AC:Ody super great as well.

So what are good computer specs atm? Oh and sry to slightly derail this fascinating threat about --essentially – blizzard money grabbing and everyone who loves diablo on computers being mad.

I’ve thought about downloading one to play when I’m in waiting rooms, but honestly I just scroll a news feed most of the time. I can’t imagine playing one while… anywhere else really.

do people (meaning you all I guess?) really play mobile games on their phone?

I used to play Hearthstone on my phone for about 6 months, but now I play on a tablet.

I still play Ruzzle on my phone.

I’ve tried tons of other games (tons) on my phone, but they all suck. And even if they’re fine games on other platforms, they suck on my phone. Among these shitty games have been a couple ARPGs, like Diablo, but they sucked too.

I do have Mario Run, but I prefer to play the real version on a WiiU or Switch.

I either have bad luck finding good phone games or they just suck.

Mobile is an okay platform if you hook one of those MOGA gamepads up to them and load some ROMs in an emulator or whatever. But you look like a moron by doing so. You also have to consider there are the DS, PSP, etc. E.g. better handhelds you could be using instead.

There are a very limited subset of games that are well-suited to the mobile platform.

Card games, puzzle games. Even some tactical RPGs. (I am looking forward to playing Steven Universe: Attack the Light when I get the chance.) But they are few.

Add to that the fact that publishers try to nickle and dime you at every turn with microtransactions, paywalls, etc.

This is a really good post and I wish there where a way to preserve it in memory.

test, ignore.
@Teiman

I was also just wondering if, in the distant future, better but still very convenient input devices (motion detecting invisible laser mice? projection keyboards? brain implants?) could be developed for mobile devices, and whether they will make the basis for this whole debate seem very silly.

The three dots on the bottom right of a post give you a bookmark option:

Oh thanks!, I did.

No because at that point either mobile games are just PC/console games or PC/console gaming has been infected even more by the mobile world.
That’s why people like me are “worried”, you can obviously ignore mobile gaming and I do understand why developers go for it but that doesn’t mean the consequences of the success of mobile “games” isn’t going to effect PC/console gaming and I’m amazed that this needs to be discussed at all.
It reminds me so much of the early days in regards to PC monetization games like the first innocent discussions about stuff like horse armor and the rise of DLCs instead of getting “proper” expansions.
I mean there will obviously always be PC games and “normal” ones at that, a studio like Paradox won’t suddenly start to go into the mobile direction and I dont’ see the apocalypse for “real” gaming in general but what happened with a game like SW Battlefront (or what is going on in the FIFA games) is a direct consequence of the financial success of mobile gaming and it is definitely infecting gaming in general because it’s obviously hard for game publishers to resist the promise of “easy” money.
One might argue all kinds off games can exist next to each other and to a certain extent that’s true but at some points publishers will have to make decisions on where to set their focus and spend money and that might lead the industry in a bad direction.

I’m sure you’re fine. There’s always going to be something on the horizon, and as long as you are happy with what you got now, video cards are one of the easiest things to replace, even pre-built systems.

I used to play mobile games when I had a commute. The mobile games that slotted into my life best played well at about 20 minutes twice a day. They took half my attention so the other half could be consumed by bus things like checking for my stop and making sure I’m not taking up too much room.

I don’t have a commute anymore so I don’t really have a place they fit into my life. Some people play the same kind of games with the TV on in the evening, where the television is filling half the brain space and the mobile game the other half. I’ve tried that and it didn’t really click for me. I tend to play computer and board games during that same time slice. When I have time to mess around on my phone, it’s usually super short. Just a couple minutes waiting for my coffee or in the doctor’s office. They’re not long or consistent enough for a mobile game to make sense. So I just read posts here instead.

I never came across a mobile game that competed for the type of attention I want to give to computer games. I don’t think they’re competing similar to how I don’t think television and movies are competing.

The interface for mobiles is limited to your finger poking about - you can’t use 10 fingers and 2 hands to do stuff with multiple keys, and that limits the complexity of what’s possible on the mobile somewhat (although only for certain types of games, like RPGs).

I personally would hate it if they started developing for mobile first and PC as an afterthought, and we had a repeat of the whole “dumbing down” of games for consoles fiasco, only worse. As with about half the people here, immersion is very important to me, and that’s better suited with time set aside on a comfy chair, with a nice big screen and lots of buttons to press to control things in fine detail in the game world.

One might make the “people are busy” argument - but there it actually evens out a bit IMHO, because the interface being limited, doing anything complicated is clumsy and takes more time than it would on a PC with muscle-memoried multiple inputs.

But I’ve seen some games that look pretty good on modern mobiles, and I would probably play some of the older low rez/pixelated games that have been revamped for mobile, if my mobile was up to snuff (it’s an old iPhone 4).

Not all iOS games are a scam

(the above is stolen game, hhehe… don’t buy it)

Mobile isn’t a platform, it’s a business model.

(Except for the occasional boardgame port, but those come to Steam anyway…)

-Tom

I’m posting this reply from my business model device. A moment ago I was playing Dungeon Defense, which my other business model devices don’t support.

I play match-3 games all the time, Bejeweled and Munchkin something. Liked the Angry Birds one until it became obvious I could not progress without throwing a lot of money into power-ups. That gets an uninstall.

Tried Clockmaker and some game about remodeling a mansion but those were painfully slow and forced me to sit through too many flash-style animations, where all the animator does is pick a pivot point and has the program move the asset within an arc. Becomes creepy quickly, and feels cheap.

But one of my requirements is that the game must be able to be paused at any point in time with no impact to the game. I’ve bought games like Gorogoa and Monument Valley 2 but I never seem to play them because if I have the time to devote to that type of gameplay, I won’t use that platform. That, and very few games are truly at home with a touchscreen interface. The Microsoft Casual Games series has been very good at using the touchscreen but those I play on a Win10 tablet, never had a Windows phone.

So, in answer to your question, no. I just don’t consider phone gaming to be ‘appointment’ gaming, at least not in the last few years. It’s a time-killer at best. And I think that everyone chasing the Candy Crush model is a big factor in what shows up on the phone platform in the last few years.