Diablo Immortal - Stay awhile and pay on your mobile

I’m so tired of google pushing news stories that regurgitate the same rumor over and over at me about how Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 remastered are going to be announced at Blizzcon this year. I suppose if it turns out to be true, I might be excited. Or maybe I’ll still be boycotting Blizzard because they’re still against democracy at that point, in which case there’s no reason to get excited.

I feel like Blizzard is hoping Diablo 4 rumors will overshadow Blitzchung-controversy news in the days leading up to Blizzcon.

D4 could very well tell the world how little gamers really care about what the companies behind the games do so long as they get their fix.

On the other hand, their big unveil being Diablo Immortal’s release date would be pretty darn funny.

This year for sure!

Blizzard announcing Diablo 4 still means it’s about five years out, so you’ll have plenty of time to decide if you still like them ;)

I can’t believe nobody is talking about the new Diablo Immortal gameplay trailer that dropped at Blizzcon last weekend.

Feast your eyes on this baby.

And check it out:

• There’s new zones on display! Although technically at this point every single zone in the entire Diablo Immortal game is a new zone unless you’re an internal tester, we’re finally getting a better peek behind the curtain.

• I love that the game has the classic Diablo 3 look instead of taking cues from D4 and steering towards the Path of Exile type of aesthetics that are so overdone now days.

• And there’s even a preview of select legendary items and a couple all new class ultimates. Particle effects are fucking everywhere.

I honestly don’t even know if I have a machine that can run this.

It’s totally probable that the day this thread was last bumped somebody got pregnant with a baby that they’re delivering today. And speaking of babies, more gameplay revealed!

This site also has a peek at the character classes available in the Chinese version. No idea if Americans will be able to play the awesome gigantic asian barbarian guy or if he’s a regional exclusive skin:

https://diablo.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/diablo-immortal-china-website-updated

China exclusive version where you have a dungeon set in Hong Kong chasing demonstrators?

I liked how the Necromancer was raising some kind of fleshy ghoul instead of skeletons, due to the avoidance of showing those in China.

Maybe necromancy only works on the recently dead there. Maybe humidity is really high, and corpses don’t decompose. Maybe they are new to the practice, and can’t keep the bones together without some ligaments still attached. So many lore-based options!

Why are they anti-skeleton there? Insufficient closet space?

You hit on something I was confused about myself. Not knowing anything about Chinese culture aside from its suffocating oppression, I was confused to see the Necro guy wielding a giant bone shield and wearing skulled shoulder pads. I wonder why he can wear bones but not attack or fight alongside them.

From my brief attempt at research, apparently it’s not a blanket taboo or restriction, but it is frowned upon. Why? Apparently it promotes superstition or something, but only if it’s a foreign game publisher? I find it very confusing. Game companies generally avoid skeletons to dodge having any issues with getting past Chinese game censors, and yet there are Chinese game companies that DO show skeletons. shrug Culture.

I find it hilarious that the article I linked refers to “fleshy skeletons”. Aren’t those just zombies?

Thanks for the info. The term ‘zombie’ is copyrighted so they can’t call em that either. So everything is merely ‘full-epidermis challenged’ to keep everyone happy.

Wait, what? Who owns the copyright to ‘zombie’?

Here’s a story about a bunch of copyrighted terms that lost that copyright over time as the word became extremely commonly used. I imagine “zombie” would fall into that category if legally challenged.

Edit: This Quora answer also suggests that Marvel’s copyright on “zombie” ran out in the 90s. Not verified, of course.

https://www.quora.com/Does-IP-law-prevent-people-from-saying-zombie-in-books-and-movies

Edit 2: And semi-confirmed by this story.

https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-132/

In any case, Marvel’s copyright was only ever for use in comic books.

China doesn’t care about intellectual property copyright.

True dat, but Blizzard wants this game to sell in the west too.

Well, CCP owns most of the west, so, shouldn’t be a problem :-)

Marvel invented the word Zombie? wow

The term comes from Haitian folklore, in which a zombie is a dead body reanimated through various methods, most commonly magic. Modern depictions of the reanimation of the dead do not necessarily involve magic but often invoke science fictional methods such as carriers, radiation, mental diseases, vectors, pathogens, parasites, scientific accidents, etc.[1][2]

The English word “zombie” was first recorded in 1819, in a history of Brazil by the poet Robert Southey, in the form of “zombi”.[3]

So, maybe not, but guess that never stopped a big us company from copyrighting anything :)

Even if the Marvel copyright has run out, no one seems to want to risk a copyright battle which is why almost every zombie show/game/whatever calls them something else… ‘walkers’, ‘zekes’, etc. Terribly silly.