Diablo IV - A Return To Darkness

I’ll be all for silly cosmetics as long as those had an option to disable for others. Can’t have all cosmetics disabled though since people want to show things off as well.

Chloe Zao’s live-action trailer:

Fuck yeah

They definitely know how to market.

D4 merchandise/branding is popping up all over the place, and it’s not inexpensive stuff. Maybe if you’re in the market for it, but would you really buy something just to get the branding if you don’t need the thing?

I already have stuff from both those companies, which is why I was notified of them. If you’re heavy into collecting, though, this is the kind of merchandise you’d be wanting to have.

I’ve never been super into the Diablo series, but this one looks like it could be a lot of fun. I like how they went back to a more dark tone and I’m a total sucker for open world. I may wait and see for a week, but it could be something fun to play with my daughter during the summer.

On the other hand, this looks like the type of stuff I’ll be happy to buy on clearance to get the thing when they’ve moved on to newer branding!

They should have released this today or tomorrow for the long US weekend.

And here are the official details on the early launch date/time:

Early Access to Diablo IV begins on June 1 at 4 p.m. PDT for anyone who pre-purchases a Digital Deluxe or Ultimate Edition before our official launch.

Glad I took a look, because I was counting 4 days from June 6 to mean it launched June 2. That means I get to start in the evening of June 1st and get a jump on the next day. Nice!

Only thing that’s missing from the info is whether the beta download that is already installed will just be updated or if I should get rid of that and download the new version on May 30 when it’s available. [Edit] A search indicates that they are different installs and I can delete the beta version without a worry.

As an aside, all those Twitch drops are kind of strange. Who’s going to have time to watch hours of streaming when you are playing the damn game?

One of the mounts is ‘earned’ by gifting two subs to a streamer on the chosen list. Disclaimer: I may be on that list ;)

Regarding watching enough hours, just fire it up on a browser and mute the tab and you get credit. Just don’t mute the video itself or you don’t.

It seems weird to me for a company to incentivize you watching someone else play their game, instead of just… Playing their game.

Not all that weird really. Just another form of marketing.

But why give you stuff for watching someone else play the game, instead of giving you that stuff for playing the game?

Why do one when you could do both?

You don’t actually watch the stream. You put it up on a separate monitor, lower the quality to minimum and mute it.

You used to be able to put it in a background browser window, but that doesn’t seem to work anymore.

The question I’m asking though, is how does it benefit Blizzard to have people watch someone play their game?

I mean, the way this is being presented, it’s like, “Hey, if you want this thing for our game, go watch this guy play and you’ll get stuff.”

Is it that they are doing this as part of a deal with the streamer?

I guess they’re like, “Play diablo, so that people will see diablo and play it, and in exchange we’ll give your viewers stuff, in order to drive more people to your channel.”

So, Blizzard doesn’t really want people to go watch the streamer, but this is instead an incentive package for the streamer themselves to play diablo, which is advertising for the Blizzard.

There’s also the point that when games get more watchers on Twitch, they show up on Twitch as having a high view count. Then you have random people on Twitch saying “Oh, there’s a bunch of people watching this game; I should check it out.”

In any case, it’s a low enough bar that I’d click on one to watch in the background to get some cosmetics. WoW’s been doing it for a while and has included old cosmetic items that were previously only available via the CCG.

I don’t believe you can fully mute it, but you can set the volume to 1%.

I agree, it’s annoying that Blizzard is making us go through this bullshit for cosmetics. It’s fine to encourage people to get involved in the Twitch community promoting their game. But c’mon, 6 hours? Fuck off.

6 hours? LOL, so I’m not doing that. I don’t really care to get whatever nonsense it is so shrug.

You can mute it by right-clicking the tab in Chrome and muting there.

Eh. I’m not going to bother looking up my twitch email and password and my Blizzard password just so I can link the two accounts. Too much effort for cosmetics.

On the other hand, I did reinstall Diablo on my newer computer now that my older computer has completely died. This time I started a Monk with the Hellfire expansion.

I’m not sure yet what the heck this Monk is supposed to be exactly, but I guess I’ll find out as I play more. I finished the first level of the dungeon completely. Man, the music and sounds of this game are still so incredible. Hopefully I can finish the game on Normal before D4 comes out.