Diablo IV - A Return To Darkness

I tend to play every class and try many builds per character when possible. Think I have 20+ grim dawn characters

I would say it might not be because an ability is bad, per se, but that you simply donā€™t care for how it looks sound or feels to use. In every aRPG Iā€™ve ever played, I have found some skills far more fun to use. Or maybe it just fits better with what you need at that point in time.

This is exactly what they are doing.

The way respec works will have a profound impact on how seasons are structured. While I strongly disliked what D3 did, they leveraged it for the seasons. You HAD to respec to go after different goals. Iā€™m hoping D4 seasons will not be that way, but focused on making one really strong build. But since you will be able to refund points, you will have the ability to pivot to take advantage of a cool unique or something.

Good points!

I really hope they donā€™t follow POE method of respecing points. I love that game so much but donā€™t play it often because I hate being stuck in a certain build when the loot you get is random. I much rather build my character around the cool stuff I receive instead of being locked in as I go and hope I get the equipment to go with it.

You wonā€™t need items or anything, so not like PoE. Thereā€™s an escalating gold cost per point based on character level. It will be cheap at low level, so you can experiment freely, but become cost-prohibitive to do a major respec on a whim at high level, which sounds just fine to me.

That sounds about where I like a system like this to be.

Bunch of previews seem to be dropping all at once, and from the titles (I havenā€™t read any) it sounds like everyone is super pleased with this. As a guy with 500+ hours in Diablo 3 I do admit I didnā€™t like it as much as I hoped at launch, and itā€™s hard for me to get back into. Whereas Diablo 2 Resurrected I played a ton of and for a long time and feel I could play that again whenever the mood strikes, decades of NOT getting tired of it.

It sounds like Diablo 4 is a return to form in a lot of ways, some smart iterations on what worked in 2 and 3, that should be appealing to just about anyone that likes the genre. Very exciting. Hopefully we get some release information soon, if we donā€™t already? I havenā€™t been following this one much in the last year or so.

EDIT: Seems to be a big leak/rumor that this gameā€™s release date will be revealed in tomorrows VGA show for June 2023. Just a rumor of course, but itā€™s been picked up by several news sites and seems like it could actually be pretty accurate. I guess weā€™ll find out for sure tomorrow.

I had the opposite reaction. Played Diablo 3 for hundreds of hours, got Diablo 2 Resurrected recently and just havenā€™t been able to get into it.

Of course, I got Diablo 3 after it was ā€œfixedā€, and didnā€™t have the nostalgia factor with Resurrected, not having played Diablo 2 previously (though I played and loved the first Diablo at release).

I am looking forward to Diablo 4, but after playing Grim Dawn for hundreds of hours the past few months, my bar has been raised (chuckle).

Both of these will be huge factors for sure. I played a LOT of Diablo 3 in beta and it wasā€¦ fine. Iā€™m glad they finally fixed it with such concepts like adventure mode and more interesting legendary items, but there are some key concepts (like all skill effectiveness being tied to the equipped weapon) that really started to bother me. Like I said, I did put a LOOOOT of time into Diablo 3 so Iā€™m not saying itā€™s bad, but I am really excited to see what they took from 2, 3 and even other games such as Grim Dawn to make what could be a really, really great ARPG.

It was a bad game at release that they were able to update into mediocre thanks to a lot of hard work, in my opinion. I thought the feel of the combat was always good but outside of that there wasnā€™t a lot that I liked about the game. Even with the loot revamp it still felt way too constrained to me. Like the designers came up with builds that they implemented via sets, then you just went and got your set andā€¦ that was basically it.

I loved Diablo and Diablo 2, so Iā€™m hoping this next one is a return to form for them!

I played hours and hours of D3. I never liked D1 or D2. Wishing for more D3 with some added things but doesnt sound like it.

I donā€™t know why they just donā€™t make a game that appeals to everyone! Lazy devs! :)

This really sums up where I ended up with Diablo 3. I know there was a point a few years ago when I was having fun running new characters through a ā€œseasonā€ but they always felt the same every time to me.

I just know this is where Iā€™m at with it - I installed it this last summer to play the new season, so whenever that started, and about 10 minutes in I realized I was probably done with Diablo 3 forever, and uninstalled it.

Thatā€™s why my kid and I are learning some programmingā€¦game of the century coming up!

I canā€™t wait for Diablo 4. I played the hell out of 3 on my PC and Switch. I hope they bring the great gamepad support to 4.

The Switch port gave Diablo 3 a second life for me just when I thought I was done with the game. Adventure mode and seasons were perfect for short bedtime sessions.

I would love a portable Grim Dawn! Does anyone know if D4 is coming to Switch?

This seems like a no-brainer, but just so itā€™s been said - heck yeah, I hope so as well!

God Iā€™d kill for GD on the Switch.

They have said it is shipping with controller support on PC.

Huzzah! Thank you for digging that up!