Diablo IV - A Return To Darkness

Most likely a quest area.

I grabbed a KFC Little and some fries this week so I could play this weekend. Work was a bit slow Friday, so I took a half day and played for about 3-4 hours after sitting through a 30-40 minute queue. There were a lot of network related issues like rubber banding, disconnects, game state not correct (events showing on the map but not in the world). I think I died twice to lag spikes that hit when I waded into a group of mobs with my Barbarian. All of this I expected though, and is pretty typical for any Blizzard beta. I think Iā€™ve hit level 11 so far, playing on Veteran.

Iā€™ve played all the Diablos, and this is certainly another of them. Iā€™m just not sure itā€™s an improvement yet. I remember reading or hearing at some point that they were going for a darker Diablo (itā€™s even in this thread title), and if the prologue and Act I are an indication, thatā€™s really guided them in both the art direction and the narrative.

The game looks really washed out, dark, and gray. That may be in part because Act I is in a bleary frozen area, but even the interiors look this way. Iā€™m on the default settings, so I havenā€™t tried messing with the graphic options at all, but this seems an intentional choice so I doubt thereā€™s much that can be done about it.

The story is also quite a bit darker, and the cutscenes are more graphic than what I remember from past Diablos. Iā€™m know Iā€™ll be in the minority, but itā€™s a step (or two) too far for me. I played through D2 and D3 stories with my wife several times, and I know from the start that this one will be right out for her.

That said, I enjoy the core gameplay loop so far, but not sure I find it better than D3. Itā€™s hard to comment on some of the systems because itā€™s still so early, but Iā€™m also one of those that preferred the more open (in terms of being able to switch), focused skill system in D3 to the D2 style, and it seems like D4 is leaning more towards D2. I would rather be able to switch around and experiment with different builds freely than be forced to pay to respec. And putting multiple points into a skill just to see minor incremental gains is just not as fun to me, although it does seem they put some customization options beyond the incremental skill points in the tree.

Iā€™ll keep playing through the beta (looking forward to trying out the Druid), but I may end up skipping launch and waiting to see if they end up doing an overhaul similar to what theyā€™ve done in the past.

Oh, and take any performance issues I had with a grain of salt. Iā€™m playing with a below spec processor (still rocking my i7-920), but 14GB RAM and GTX 1060 running off SSD. I still think most of the problems are network issues on their end, but I canā€™t rule out the CPU on some of the lag.

[edit] Forgot to mention, like a few others in thread I was generally wading through most fights without issue, but I hit level 10 in the middle of a dungeon (the one in the North, Forbidden City?) and died 5 or 6 times on the boss. I donā€™t know if it was scaled to account for the improved health potions or what, or whether my lack of skills was the major part (I had focused all my points into Bash and Whirlwind) but that fight was much, much harder, and thatā€™s not necessarily a bad thing.

And thanks to whoever posted about the emote to get out of the dungeon. Iā€™m planning to run the others and that will save some time.

Congrats! Glad you were able to sort it out

Thanks!

lvl 23 now on my rogue, liking it and just need to decide whether to sorc/barb it up or just chill with my rogue until druid next week

Well, the cinematics are excellent, but if you donā€™t like them in general D4 is certainly gonna piss you off in the first hour. I canā€™t imagine it stays this narrative throughout.

Yeah it reportedly has a memory leak. Another bug, is all.

Earlier I said the game runs like butter on my fairly modern gaming PC. I was wrong, it stuttered all the time today. Not sure whatā€™s going on, if itā€™s shader compilation or what, but itā€™s pretty dang bad. My PC has no problem running the game locked at 165fps most of the time, except when it stutters for half a second and drops to 0. Shrug, theyā€™ve got 3 months to fix it.

They are in your inventory in the aspects tab. I think they are consumable.

But as a day one purchaser youā€™ll just have the same issue. Seems like Iā€™ll have the MS points to buy this on Xbox sometime in July or by the beginning of August earliest, and by then all those server issues should be resolved!

Hit level 20 this morn with my barb. Sheā€™s really settling in now, mostly managing without too much trouble.

There does need to be a bit more direction/tips given to players, I think. At level 20, it unlocked a few things but Iā€™ve little idea on what Iā€™m to do. I think one was gem crafting.

And they need extra inventory for all these crafting cases. Itā€™s getting crowded in there. Yep, inventory management is the thing again.

Screenshots of her at level 20. On PS5, the game is gorgeous, runs without a hitch.

My PS5 has experienced a chug here and there, but itā€™s nothing frequent or predictable.

So, thereā€™s a World Boss event at 1PM Eastern (10AM Pacific) and I donā€™t know if you need to be level 25 to try it. Iā€™m at level 19 and need to take a break. Anyone planning on doing any of the World Boss events? Hereā€™s the schedule:

Light Blue circles represent areas where a particular quest starts/is located. If you go into your map and you pick a particular quest and you havenā€™t been to that area it will show that circle but no icon.

No queue this morning. Runs great on my laptop with a 1070.

Yesterday, when I was crashing it was in dungeons. Earlier this morning when I was playing I didnā€™t have any crashes (or que) and everything seemed fine, I was actually able to complete one of the multistage core quests so it seems the population load is having an impact.

I laughed at this

Iā€™ve heard that the boss is level 25 so if you donā€™t match it in level you are likely to be pieces of meat.

But, Iā€™m definitely going to try to check it out. I mean, itā€™s the beta, so Iā€™m not concerned.

Blue circles out in the wild have indeed meant quests. This one was in the town and much smaller than the others. Iā€™ve seen. I looked all over for a little area that was circled and couldnā€™t see anything to interact with. I guess I need to check again.

So far Iā€™m enjoying this immensely. The sorcererā€™s powers so far feel great. Love that chain lightning.

So I just had a weird, funny issue where I didnā€™t get disconnected, per se, but I couldnā€™t interact with anything, and no enemies were showing up. I could still run around but nothing actually happened.

I got up early this morning and played until I hit the first big town with the various vendors. Quite enjoyable. Certain cutscenes had my FPS drop down to 5 though. Even though CPU utilization was low. My CPU usage never goes high enough for it to be an issue, which is a relief. But I still get really big slowdowns sometimes.

Hopefully the public beta will be better in this respect. Otherwise, I might end up getting it on Xbox first.

All altars:

so the blue circle I was puzzled by is for the quest ā€œcheer at the training militia,ā€ how do you do that? I dont see a ā€œcheerā€ emote