Did Wumpus get banned?

What do you mean waste? ALL of his posts are throw-away zingers

We’re not blocking IP addresses or anything like that. Banning just means you can’t post. Since Mark and I don’t know enough about how the forum software works, an unfortunate side effect is that you can’t track threads by new messages. Ideally, we’d love to be able to let people use accounts for tracking new messages, sending PMs, and so forth, but we haven’t figured out how to separate those privileges from posting.

Also, please note that wumpus et al. aren’t dead. You guys can still keep in touch with them. Drop them an email. Visit with them on other forums. Derek hangs out at Gone Gold, I saw wumpus posting on Firing Squad, and Cleve has his Grimoire website. I think. Met_K still comes to Shoot Club every Wednesday night. You guys can see them at those places.

-Tom

LOL, there’s that little detail.

Woo, no more Cleve.

I don’t think anyone wants to ban Morris. He’s too sexy! Unfortunately, apparently I’m the official board communist. :(

And that Shirky thingie covers just about everything when it comes to webforums.

I was actually thinking along the same lines. If the issue is “chilling out,” wouldn’t a temporary ban (30 days?) serve as a good preliminary step before an all-out-balls-to-the-wall-we-never-want-to-see-your-ugly-mug-in-these-parts-again-and-this-town-ain’t-big-enough-for-the-both-of-us permanent ban?

I know Tom and Mark are warning folks – which would seem to be enough if we were all rational adults. However, it’s pretty clear we’re not all rational adults, particularly not when discussing something we’re passionate about (like dual athlon upgrades or vicodin).

In the end, yeah, this particular sandbox belongs to Mark and Tom, and we all live under their benevolent rule. But it is kinda sad to see regulars get banned simply because they couldn’t keep their fool mouths shut for a few days.

asjunk

Someone must give me wumpus’ email address. I need a fix

So can anyone who is in LA come to Shoot club? How close are you to Redondo Beach? My wife’s folks live in Redondo Beach.

Has he showed up on the waste network since the axe fell? I haven’t seen him in awhile. Shame if he goes away from the waste network, since I don’t have all of his greatest hits of the 70s yet.

I’m not a party to the WASTE network, though I wouldn’t mind being.

So can anyone who is in LA come to Shoot club? How close are you to Redondo Beach? My wife’s folks live in Redondo Beach.

Asbolutely. Your wife’s folks are welcome to join us any Wednesday night. I’m probably about 30-45 minutes away, depending on traffic.

In fact, if you’re ever visiting them, you should join us! Drop me an email.

-Tom

Cool deal. I will call Grandpa Huck and see if he wants to join you guys!

But seriously–I will drop a line next time we plan a trip down there, and see if I can drop by. Oh, my. I guess I better stop teasing Rywill so much if I am going to Shoot club him.

Download the client, generate a key, and post it in the original WASTE thread. I will add you later tonight when I get home if nobody else does. You only need one person to add you. All the files are linked from the first page of the original WASTE thread.

I would just like to say:

1. Sorry for starting the new thread; never occurred to me that Wumpus’ banning might be discussed in a thread called “Hilarious Hi-Jynkx” which, the first and last time I checked it, was a dupe thread about a hoax anti-Christian story. I just noticed he wasn’t posting anymore.

2. I’m really hurt that Tim didn’t thank me in his acceptance speech.

3. As always, although I recognize Tom & Mark’s right to ban whomever they please for whatever reason they like, I think these were all bad decisions. Even Cleve (though just barely).

4. I hardly ever make it to Shoot Club because of work and stuff, but Tim, if you’re ever going to go, you and I should set up a 1-on-1 sniper match just for the pure irony. That’d be awesome. Plus I suck at all those games, so you’d probably win.*

[size=2]* If you take the obvious “You suck at debate too which is why I win at that” potshot, I’m going to lose all respect for you.[/size]

1. I’m really hurt that Tim didn’t thank me in his acceptance speech.

Gah, you always forget someone. Now that you mention it, I didn’t include Ben Sones either. Double Gah!

1. I hardly ever make it to Shoot Club because of work and stuff, but Tim, if you’re ever going to go, you and I should set up a 1-on-1 sniper match just for the pure irony. That’d be awesome. Plus I suck at all those games, so you’d probably win.*

You are so on. BTW, what is this nonsense about having respect for me?

Yeah, that was a pretty empty threat. :P

That’s the thing. It’s not a popularity contest.

Wumpus banned!!! And Cleve was psoting some “lets kill all blacks” posts. I don’t get it. IMO, Wumpus is not bad at all. he’s like the teasing older sibling that makes fun of you but doesn’t really hate you. To say that Cleve is harmless and Wumpus is the bane of the boards is stupid. Oh well, this board is heavily getting non gaming posts ayway … whats the point?

etc

Though I’ve largely begun to ignore posts by wumpus and Met_K, they were entertaining from time to time. I still can’t read Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne without my brain thinking Warcraft 3: The Frozen Bone. This is beginning to be like Michel Foucault’s idea of the ideal prison.

I miss wumpus already.

I don’t read Politics and Religion so I assume this latest hoo ha started over there?

wumpus and Met_K were banned on the same day. There’s a certain poetry to that.