DiRT Rally - Codemasters' early access PC rally game

It’s a great idea. But I just created the season, and sadly that wasn’t possible. You can only pick vehicle restrictions per event, not per stage. And you can only pick time restrictions (i.e. what we’ll be playing for the next week, next day, etc) per event.

But it did like that idea, so I set up an 8 week season. First week is a set of 8 short tracks in one car, then the second week, same track and conditions in a different car. The season starts tomorrow and I can still edit it until then, but gosh, it took a long time to set it up using their stupid website. By the end, whenever I hit “Add Stage” it took over a minute on the website to load the page again with a new stage option. So it took me an hour and a half to setup this season.

Thanks for your efforts Rock8man. I look forward to running it.

For the next season, I’m tempted to do a more curated approach like the Qt3 Casual and Dirt League are doing now. That is, unless there’s a big demand for the “random” approach I was taking before with the Mid-Casual league. I know I did try restricting cars by country the first season, and then horse power the second season, and that wasn’t a good restriction. So I’ll definitely be more specific in car selection this time. Any thoughts?

Another thing that could be interesting is you see those columns above for Bonus points and Penalty points? We could try to implement a handicap system, so the person at the bottom in the previous league gets a leg up, and the final scores are closer together at the end of a season. OTOH, LedShok didn’t participate for a couple of the events in this last season, otherwise he would have been at the top, I think. :)

I agree on limiting the car selections 100%.

Not sure how the bonus penalty points work so have no opinion there.

I’ve been driving so many faster and newer cars recently that I forgot just how much fun the 60s Mini Cooper is.

I love being able to tweak the settings on my car as well. I had a ‘gravel’ preset that I created a couple of months ago and when I went to select it for the mid-casual stages I accidentally hit A instead of… X(?) and overwrote it with the default setup! Gah! So I did several shakedowns to try and find that sweet spot again, and refamiliarise myself with the little beast.

I’m really happy with my performance and looking forward to see how my times stack up against the veterans around here! I had this very hairy oh-no-oh-no-oh-noooo moment though:

This also made me chuckle too Ormus:

Man, the mid-casual league is packed. I’ll have to get in on that.

Oh no, that’s just a friends comparison screen – nobody else had started the mid-casual when I finished!

Seems about right!

I took a break from Planescape: Torment to do another attempt at the Qt3 Dirt League, hoping to not mess up in the third stage. I didn’t do as well in the first stage, but I aced the second stage, and only had one accident with a rock (instead of 3 like in my previous run). I improved on my overall time by over 10 seconds.

And yet… the top spot holder in the Qt3 Dirt League this season, Ormus, is still around 10 seconds ahead of me. Mad props my man. That is one hell of a run.

There’s only 12 hours or so left in that event, but I might give it one more shot before time runs out. Maybe tomorrow morning when I wake up. I don’t know why, but I do really well in this game sometimes when I’ve just woken up.

So I couldn’t resist trying it again tonight. I had a great first run. My second run wasn’t as good as last time, but going into the third I knew I’d need the best time I’d ever had on that third stage by about 10 seconds. Ouch. My first run was a complete disaster, four resets onto the track, I ended up a minute behind my own best time. Second run at that third stage… pressure was on. I was doing well. And then that slight right after a long stretch where you’re going at full speed, I ended up flipping my car over and landed on my roof. Sigh.

So I ended up with a worse overall time compared to last time by almost a minute.

I tried going to bed, but I just couldn’t let that stand. I had to another run.

First stage: Best I’ve ever done by 4 seconds.
Second Stage: 2 seconds behind my record run. Not bad.
Going into the third, I could still be two seconds slower than my best run and I could still tie Ormus. The pressure was off, I could just race and not worry about doing a record run.

Result:

I now have a new record on that third stage.

Nice job Rock! I just do one run and that’s it for me I don’t want to run it over and over.

Really my first effort at Pike’s Peak haven’t upgraded any of the cars or anything. I did do a bunch of practice runs before entering the event though. It took me ages to remember the corners in order without a co-driver as they are pretty featureless so I would fly off the road thinking a different corner was coming up! Stage 3 was much better and enjoyable some really mean corners there if you aren’t prepared though.

I had a bit of an issue in the actual event on one of the corners on Stage 3 other than that whole run went safe and ok, I couldn’t have pushed much harder without serious risk.

Great work Rock and Ormus! That was a fun league.

Do upgrades carry over to the multiplayer? I had no idea.

Not sure, I hope not.

However I noticed previously on a league that had a 300 bhp limit that I was able to take the Polo before upgrading, but after upgrading I was not, suggesting maybe they do?

Yeah, I think they do. I wasn’t able to pick the Ford Fiesta in a previous Mid-Casual league season, for example, while others were, since my upgrades had pushed it over the bhp limit for that event.

And it’s not an option I can pick in the league/season/event creation options.

And in this particular case, the game says I have 3/4 upgrades installed on the Peugeot 405 Hill Climb which I used for the event.

Just a heads up. In the mid-casual season, I set up two checkpoints in each race: the first leg, and then the fifth leg. So in the current event, that’s the first Greek stage, and then the first Finland stage. I tested it out. After finishing the first Greek stage, I quit out, and instead of starting on the second stage, it started me on the first stage again. So far so good. But then, I was doing really well through Greece, and finished the fourth stage with a great time I was super happy with, and quit in the Finland stage to go do other things around the house. But when I tried to get back to it, it started me over from the beginning.

So maybe I misunderstood how checkpoints work. Maybe I have to finish the first Finland stage in order to get the checkpoint and start from there next time? I don’t know. I’m confused. But just to warn everyone else, plan on finishing the stages once you start until we get this figured out.

The other day I did the 1st stage in the mid-casual and then decided I didn’t want to race anymore so I did a save and quit right at the beginning of stage 2. The next time I played it started me at the first stage. So, yesterday when I played I saved at the first place it had the prompt to save. I really hope it doesn’t start me over because I usually don’t want to race for so long in one sitting.

Same here. That’s why I quit after the fourth race, thinking I was safe with the checkpoint on the first Finland race. But if you waited until the first prompt to save, I suspect you might have waited until the end of the fifth race, so I think you’re safe. I just misunderstood how checkpoints worked when I was setting it up. When you set up a repair point, for example, it takes effect at the beginning of that stage, not the end. So I thought checkpoints worked the same way, but apparently they don’t.

The first prompt to save was just before the fifth race and luckily I was able to resume from there. I ended up just finishing the event just to be safe. With 2 stages to go I had about a minute lead of greggis. Then while sliding around a curve in the 2nd to last stage I hit a damn pedestrian for a 15 second penalty. Greggis made up some ground and I think my lead was cut to 35 seconds or so. I was paranoid of screwing up the last stage and drove conservatively in some places and greggis made up some more time, but I managed to hold on.

Playing an event with a bunch of stages is so much different than just setting up a practice event with 1 stage or an event with stage restarts. I think I could have driven much more aggressively in the Mini but I don’t want to have to restart the entire event.

Wow, 8 stages sure hurt when you totally screw up the 8th stage, as in 3 minutes behind that one stage alone. Was about 10-20 seconds behind 2nd after 7 stages then multiple whoops. It took a minute to get to the finish when I could see it, 1st gear would go straight sideways barely touching the gas, ended up reversing over the finish line. The one issue with 8 stages its hard to be motivated to reset the event.

I finished my almost 34 minute long run. Phew! Only one 15 second penalty, and that occurred in the second last leg, when I ran into a tree head on, and then got lost in the trees trying to get back on the gravel track (I just couldn’t find it).

Overall, that felt pretty grueling, I have to admit. RobC04 is right, the “checkpoint” is there in the correct place in between Greece and Finland, but in order to quit, you have to finish Greece, press A to continue to the first Finland track, and once it loads, on the next screen you can repair and tune your car, and at the bottom it says “Save and Exit to Menus”, and that’s your only chance to take a break and try the Finland tracks on another day. I can testify that if you “Save and Quit” during any of the Finland or Greek tracks, you have to start over from the beginning, so that “Save and Exit to Menus” is your only chance at actually taking a break and continuing from the checkpoint another time.

So yeah, quite grueling and yet, very satisfying. I may be falling in love with that Mini. Quite the car. And an excellent car to handle those Finland tracks, I must say.

Loving the Mid-Casual event! That Mini is an absolute blast on the gravel of Greece, but it really comes into its own on the open flowing bends and crests of Finland. Rock8man, we may need to anoint you the QT3 DiRT Rally Sommelier! :-)

Went quite well on the first two Greek stages though I recall at least one moment where I probably should have taken more significant damage than I did and was lucky that the ‘bounce’ kept me in the middle of the track and pointing in the right direction.

The night stage was looking pretty similar until I had a spectacular high speed off in the final few corners (a downhill right with a big run-off area). Car flipped, landed on its roof, before rolling back onto its wheels and giving me a view back up the mountain from where I’d achieved lift off. The front left was punctured but, thanks to the large run-off, I didn’t receive a penalty and was able to limp through to the stage end with probably less than 10 seconds lost.

Gave it death through the downhill slalom which comprised the fourth stage and was looking good for a decent time until I over-cooked the tight left at the bottom of the hill and plowed into the undergrowth as I crushed the brake pedal through the floorboards. Damage was light and I was able to reverse it out without taking an official time penalty.

On to Finland and within seconds I was cursing my laziness at the service area as I realised the Mini’s stock gear ratios are waaaaay too short for the open straights of the Scandinavian countryside. Slapped it into fourth and jammed the little motor at the rev limiter for pretty much the entirety of the first two Finnish stages. The repair stats were some of the most comical I’ve seen with ‘Engine’ sitting in the low 80s and everything else in the mid/high 90s!

I corrected my oversight for the final two stages and the Mini was able to achieve some pretty decent air with the throttle wide open. Unfortunately the taller gearing meant I was approaching the mid-speed corners at a much more rapid rate than I was used to and, despite telling myself to drive conservatively to avoid a last minute, event-ending catastrophe, I managed to hit trees three(!) times on the final stage, coming to a complete halt in all cases, such were the impacts. It brought back memories of Ogier at Catalunya last year as he threw it all away almost within sight of the finish line, pushing hard for some completely irrelevant power stage points…

Speaking of Ogier, did anyone catch his amazing high speed save on SS16 at Sweden over the weekend? Unfortunately I can’t find the footage they used on the highlights show - a chopper view where you could appreciate just how fast he was going (and could hear the engine bouncing off the rev limiter in top gear for at least 5-10 seconds leading up to the corner), followed by an in-car shot of him as ripped the wheel from side to side, pulling out all the stops to keep that Polo on the road…but barely lifting his foot!

This video is from a fan on the side of the road, but you can’t see the recovery thanks to the cloud of snow and ice he was kicking up:

Actually this one’s basically the chopper cam but it has a voice-over (no engine sound) and they cut before the in-car replay is shown:

Props to our kiwi, Hayden Paddon, for becoming the first ever non-European to make the podium at the Swedish event as he pushed Ogier hard to come in a comfortable second! Yes, he had much better road position, but he was outstanding given his relative inexperience in those sorts of conditions.

Looking forward to the car-breaking Mexican outing in three weeks’ time as 2016 is already shaping up as a more competitive competition between the main manufacturers (Hyundai has gone well in both events, Citroen just need Kris Meeke to stop rolling snake eyes on all his saving throws, and even Ford have had their moments courtesy of Mads and Ott Tanak).