Discourse Changes & Enhancements

I think wumpus was just being faceatious as someone mentioned liking likes on the test forum.

Does the way UI elements randomly move around bug anyone else? For example, this is what we see most of the time in the top bar:

And that “Hardware and technical stuff” link is the way I reliably get back to the topic list. But if you’re at the top of the page, the top bar is empty, and you have to hunt around for the link in a different place.

That’s not really random, the top bar changes as you scroll down to the thread title, so more screen real-estate is available for posts. Basically unless at the top of the post, the bar will always reflect the thread title and related category.

The hamburger menu is also always visible, as is the QT3 eye, which can link you to the various categories or main page respectively.

That’s the point. If the topic fits one page, you can already click Hardware at the top. Only when you scroll beyond one page, when the title disappeared, that it reappear in the Header and stay there.

Yes, I understand the mechanism by which this happens. But why isn’t the title / category just always in the top bar? UI elements should stay in predictable locations, not move around. What we have now is the worst of both worlds. There’s a convenient shortcut that Discourse is training me to use (so I never go to the hamburger menu). But 5% of the time it’ll not be there, and I’ll fumble around ineffectively.

Or look at the scrolling behavior. Normally you move around large distances in the thread with the timeline widget on the right side. But open up a reply window, and suddenly that’s gone. Instead scrolling is done with a completely different UI widget located in a totally different place (took me a long time to realize it even existed).

Can you guys look into configuring the icon for Chrome for Android’s “Add to Homescreen” feature? It currently just creates a bare icon (unless I did “Add to Desktop” wrong somehow)? You can also configure some baseline settings for the webapp when this is done in a manifest, if that’s of interest to the Discourse devs and/or site admins.

Changing the “Title” tag to Qt3 would also be awesome so it didn’t wrap a line on my homescreen, but that’s probably just getting nit-picky ;)

Weird. I created the home screen icon yesterday (I think) and it looks fine for me:

I didn’t have to change anything after select “Add to home screen”.

Wendelius

Bizarre!

Just re-tested it and it still creates the blank icon. I wonder if it’s an Android version thing (I’m only on 5.0.1 while I wait for a rooted ROM of 6.0.1 to hit XDA)?

Well, I’m on 6.0.1. And I just retested it too and the icon is still being created fine for me.

Seems like a strange thing to require version 6 for though.

Wendelius

I get the same icon as Armando (on 6.0.1 but using Nova Launcher, which may make a difference).

Edit: At least with Nova, you should be able to fix it by downloading the desired icon as an image and manually replacing it.

That might be it. I don’t use a launcher. And I think Motorola pretty much runs stock Android with a few added utilities.

Wendelius

Does anyone know why there are unread count that’s gray in colour?

The mouseover for those says “You have X unread old posts in this topic”. So in that screenshot presumably there was still one message to read the last time you opened that thread (gray 1) and 1 completely new post since then (blue 1).

I’m on 6.01, on a Galaxy S7 using Google Now Launcher, and it just gives me the generic icon.

Android users, make sure you add the home screen book-mark from the Chrome browser. I had the same problem, turns out I added from the default browser accidentally somehow. Adding from the Chrome browser let me name the shortcut and deployed the correct icon.

Ah, that must be it. I used Chrome too.

Wendelius

Nope. Did it from Chrome. Even tried requesting the desktop site.

Nope, using Chrome exclusively and still got the generic icon.

Well, I gave it a shot, but the load times and other things are really, really annoying. Mobile themes for forums are just not anywhere near as good as tapatalk.

My biggest issue with the mobile forum might actually be some navigation “quirks” (which make sense for a website but not really an app), like the lack of an easy-to-use in-app, contextual back button (particularly in the Chrome Custom Page that the Add to Homescreen feature creates) or the fact that using Browser-back force-reloads whatever page I was on before, which can be annoying in low-signal areas.

The incomplete thread-loading–absolutely understandable, particularly in a low-RAM environment like mobile, particularly–is at least as annoying as pagination was under Tapatalk in similar low-signal areas (I use T-Mobile btw!), except it doesn’t really appear to be configurable in terms of how much is pre-loaded or when it’s going to decide to try to load more.

And, of course, the weird issue where Chrome for Android disables the user-facing functions of Twilight, my screen-dimmer/red-ifier (for late-night, eye-pleasing browsing), so opening Qt3 on my phone now usually results in it lighting up like a thousand suns (nevermind the lack of a dark theme, heh).

On the flipside, it’s a lot less of a battery drain (but with the caveat of no mobile notifications that I can find/see) in virtually every way–my phone lasts noticeably longer without Tapatalk (the other forums I had loaded on there aren’t interesting enough to warrant the app on their own). Moreover, when I’m in a strong-signal area, Discourse is noticeably snappier, more responsive, and just generally faster-moving than Tapatalk ever was.

Plus, I don’t feel the need to tell stusser that I still do, in fact, use Tapatalk every 5-6 days ;)