Dishonored 2 - Nov 2016

It’s tracking for about 250k first week sales, 300k-350k first month. To pick some 2016 AAA action games to compare with, that’d be:

• Pretty far behind Rise of the Tomb Raider / The Division / Doom (all at around 400k-450k for the first week).
  • About even with Mafia 3.
  • Far ahead of COD:IW (but that’s more a sign of COD having entered a terminal decline than of Dishonored 2 doing super well).

Yeah, CoD is a weird outlier on PC. Sales have always been heavily weighted towards the console versions over PC, so low CoD numbers on Steam don’t really mean anything for the overall success of the franchise. That said, the console figures we do have for IW aren’t encouraging in comparison to past CoD titles. So far, it seems to be down all over.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see where Dishonored 2 ends up at the end of the year. It’s got good word of mouth beyond some of the PC issues.

Those numbers seem reasonable, given the performance issues. It’s an amazing game if it works for you, but they screwed up the launch of the PC version fairly spectacularly.

Hold on, gimme a minute to dig up the CRT I threw out in 1999 and I’ll let you know.

God bless you for still fighting that fight. I finally gave up in 2013. I was so sick of having games on my 1280x1024 monitor play as letterboxed games where too much of the screen was black all the time. I sold my monitor and switched to my widescreen monitor.

It seems very forgiving on resolution. Works with 3440-1440 out of the box. Usually I have to futz with settings to make that work.

Hmm so in mission 2, just past the wall of light, my FPS have gone from 45-60 down to sub 20. WTF is going on ?

It’s been reported there are some issues with the PC version, it’s probably not you or your rig.

I think I’m just lucky - I haven’t had a frame drop and it’s been very smooth (not 60, but probably 40+ I bet) and I just got through the 4th mission with the mansion.

Man, there is a LOT of game here - assuming the next 5 missions are as lengthy as the first 4, it’s a 20+ hour game at the pace I’m doing (I will admit to a LOT of reloading as I’m trying to go non-lethal and it’s been tough a few times just because of bad spots I put myself into).

Yeah I just didn’t expect a frame drop in the middle of a mission like that. Weird.

I am at 9 hours and only 1/3 of the way into the 2nd mission, its gonna be a 50+ hour game for me, but I do like to play non-lethal stealth, so that pads the clock for sure. Gonna shelf it till the first patch comes out, sadly as its so damn good when it works.

I’m mostly glad the reloading is fast. I hit F9 a LOT. :)

I am at the same mission as you and already at 20 hours played. Finding all those runes and bonecharms and nonlethally stealthing everything takes time, but I love it.

As for framerate, there are some drops to fifties in largest areas, but it keeps at 60 most of the time. Though there is a new beta patch and nvidia driver recently released. Havent tried those yet.

I ironically just quit for a break but then saw your post about the beta driver and nvidia update, so I’m installing both and will report back. It’s been very smooth for me though, but I should still be able to tell if it’s sticking 60fps steady (as one would expect with a 1080, I should think).

EDIT - jeez, 6.4GB patch. Wow. It does say it disabled CPU prioritization, which should fix most folks’ issues. Odd they even let it do that to begin with?

Are there any runes/bonecharms that require specific powers to get to?

I kind of doubt it - though I have seen at least one that improves a specific power, iirc.

Also, crafting Bone Charms is amazing.

Beta patch and new nvidia driver fixed my game, so I finished up mission 2, the level design was overall just ok. :p
But my god, was mission 3 great, and the level design was superb! The outcome was not what I expected! Also loved the puzzle of elevator floor -1. :)

Good news! But is the patch really six and a half gigs!?

MSI Afterburner is reporting only a couple of additional FPS, if any, but it certainly feels a lot smoother. It’s a definite improvement.

The patch is 6.4GB, and then it needs to “apply” it which takes even longer.

Well 6GB and 1 Nvidia hotfix later, and I’m not seeing any noticeable improvement.

The game hates me. A 980ti and things are still not running smoothly at very low settings and 1080p.

edit: Ok, I see now that the patch was never meant to address performance, that is next week:

Our work on Dishonored 2 continues. Update 1.2 development is underway and will address a broader range of issues including performance and is estimated to be available in the next week.

I guess being 6GB I kind of expected more… :P 6GB is ridiculous for “a small number of fixes”, where they list 3 things that the patch addresses:

Mouse improvements, including a fix for sensitivity being framerate dependent
Fixes an AMD cloth physics issue, which impacts framerates at various points in the game
Fixes an issue affecting CPU task priority - the game no longer switches CPU task priority

Wonder if my issue was the CPU task priority? Or if the Nvidia drivers were the culprit?
Very strange indeed. Whatever the case, I can play now at least. :p

Patience did pay off lastnight, gonna try for the no detection’s achievement next.