Disney Buys LucasFilm

Other thing to remember is that there is a whole generation of high quality film makers who would KILL to make the Star Wars movie that they’ve always wanted. Under George this was impossible. Under Disney, very possible.

And no George writing the script, either.

Guillermo Del Toro at the helm? Joss Whedon? Peter Jackson? Jon Favreau? All very real opportunities.

sigh

sad face…maybe not

I just can’t help but think this might mean more Minnie Mouse Leia or more Angry Birds Star Wars. Then again, like it was said, with no George, the future might look bright.

Disney succeeding with Marvel has more to do with staying out of the way and letting Marvel truck along the way they planned to than any grand strategy from the House of the Mouse. Marvel’s movies were doing great before Disney, they just needed help with their core publishing business.

Maybe see something like the Zahn Thrawn Trilogy brought to the big screen.

Star Wars Episode 7: Avenge of the Mice!!

The inner nerd in me is actually excited about this (movie) news. Someone commit me.

Episode 7 might be the 3rd SW film worth watching!

Can Disney buy Raiders too?

I get the feeling the original EU will probably be overridden entirely, though they may keep some of the characters.

I have absolutely no basis for this feeling, of course, other than the fact that Lucas himself was never particularly considerate of previous writers’ stories.

The difference between the terms “more Star Wars movies” and “more Star Wars movies without George Lucas” is as great as the difference in meaning between ‘but’ and ‘butt’. And one of them might even be sexy.

Crazy news!

Yeah, seeing as how the worst thing about the prequels and infinite re-releases was apparently Lucas himself, I’m gonna come down on the “This is a good thing!” side.

There already is a new Star Wars ride in Disneyland in Anaheim.

I’m assuming you mean the indiana jones franchise.

I don’t know that a financial bullet-point has ever sounded so beautiful (as if whispered by angels).

$4 billion for that franchise is dirt cheap. I don’t understand why they sold out so low.

In the investor conference call Disney said they plan on licensing out the Star Wars IP to more mobile, social, and console games rather than developing the games themselves.

Star Wars Unfucked.

Because Lucas is sick of it, already has billions, and just wants to wash his hands of the whole Star Wars thing. He wants to make his experimental indie films without fanboys harassing him.

Yes, but I was thinking of the whole thing moving in Star Wars direction. Cantina, destroy he Death Star themed Space Mountain, etc. What’s there now is pitiful.

They did.

I would not be at all surprised if this is exactly what happens. Tomorrowland has been a disaster since the revamp into the weird pseudo-Verne look in the late '90s.

I look forward to a Joss Whedon helmed Episode 7.

He’s too busy delivering Avengers 2 due the same year.

How about Pirates of the Carribbean: Curse of the Monkey Island?