Disney Buys LucasFilm

The recently revamped Star Tours is awesome. We rode it at least four times just to try to see more of the mix & match segments. My wife actually wound up being singled out as “the Rebel spy” on the last run!

The rest of Tomorrowland is a weird mix of Star Wars and creaky un-fun stuff like the Microsoft Innoventions thing.

Have you seen what Star Wars has been up to lately? I think competent-but-safe would be a nice change of pace.

Well alright! Maybe someday we’ll get a 2nd good Indy film!

This could be awesome. Time to dust off the old Forced Alliance bible

It’s called Pirates of the Caribbean.

First Marvel now Lucasfilm…wow just wow.

Space Mountain is a great ride, but most the stuff on that side is pretty crappy. They could replace the Rocket Pizza place with a Space Cantina, and if the Shrinking thing is still there they could dump that for something Star Wars themed.

2.5 word: Re-imagined prequels.

$4B - only half of it in cash - for everything. Star Wars, Jones, ILM, the sound company, their games business, the franchising branch. Everything.

A fucking bargain. So why did he sell so cheap?

Honey, I Shrunk the Audience was replaced with the “special presentation” of Captain EO after MJ’s death.

Shows how much little time I have spent on that side of the park.

A) You mean third.
B) Indiana Jones is not a franchise, it is Harrison Ford. Time to let it go, folks.

Doesn’t he believe the world ends this year. Maybe that had something to do with it. Maybe he’s just tired of all the bs. Maybe both.

A) Hell’s no, I don’t.
B) Nah. Plenty of folks can be the next Indy. Not just anyone, but there’s a lot of great talent out there.

If you believed that wouldn’t you have sold a couple years ago so you would have time to spend some of the money?

What?? I don’t think you got the reference he was making.

I don’t see how this is a bad thing. I’ve moved beyond concerns about Star Wars being “ruined” by any new movies, and now I’m just enjoying see what they come up with. (I maintain that Spider-Robot Darth Maul is the coolest thing to come out of the Star Wars universe in the last ten years.) After seeing how well Disney supported Marvel, I don’t see the problem here.

A conversation with a friend of mine a few years ago:

Me: But some characters are inextricably tied to the actor! Like Indiana Jones: You can’t ever have Indiana Jones played by anyone but Harrison Ford!

Friend: Nathan Fillion.

Me: …I stand corrected.

The Star Wars universe is pretty rich – maybe they can do something cool with it. Maybe they’ll let Pixar do something cool with it.

I mean – after all of the hemming and hawing – why the hell not?

Does anybody else think this makes the release of a de-specialized edition inevitable? Lucas may have been obstinately opposed to it for “artistic” reasons, but theres no way that Disney is going to leave that money on the table for the minimal cost of releasing the bluray with assets that already exist.

Obviously, Star Wars is the big deal here. But ILM does the CGI for half the movies out now, and and Disney also owns Pixar.

I’m thinking the architectures of those two business units will be getting a big makeover over the next year. Also, whether Disney does CGI for big competitors may be in question. That they will be doing it in-house and at cost will be huge as well.

Imagine … more Jar Jar Binks cuddlies for the kids but with Mickey ears! yikes!