Do you believe?

When I was about 12, I worked out that it was less risky to spend a small amount of time to believe and find out later I was wrong, than it was to not believe and spend a whole lot of time later finding out I was wrong.

But try as I might, I couldn’t wholly believe.

Well, that was easy.

“I think everyone needs to believe in something greater than themselves.” - Bill Hicks

Much like the early scientists found reasons to explain away superstitions and myths, I’m firmly convinced further scientific understanding is the key to unlocking most of the mysteries of the universe.

I believe that Bill is a butthead; as in his head is actually someone’s butt. Although I would definitely use FedEx instead of UPS.

I believe that people are full of contradictions: agreeing with one point of view based on some evidence or argument, and then rejecting another point of view (on another topic) in spite of a similar evidence or argument. I believe the best way for anyone to approach belief is to try and be as honest and forthright and objective (with themselves) as possible. I believe this will lead people to the same beliefs which I hold.

I also believe that if the Democrats run Hillary in the final election, the Republicans will have another 4 years in office and we’ll get some of the hardcore on QT3 bemoaning “idiot redneck Americans”.

We (Liberals) already do that.

I suppose I deserve that after lumping you in with DeepT. I actually meant you often act as a lightning rod for religious argument in P&R - for better or worse. I didn’t mean to say you make train wrecks out of threads with your dogma.

See, now you’re just trying to make me feel better by being complicit.

I don’t believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, God or any of that obviously fictional and goofy kids’ stuff.

You see religion and philosophy as being inseperable.

I disagree. Philosophy is far, far broader than religion.

It is your interpretation of my question, and incidentally everyone else’s, that gives me the answer I was looking for.

Tell me, if I had posted this in P&R, would anyone have considered my question in terms other than of religion?

That people still answered in those terms even with it in EE and an attempt at a deliberately open-ended question was one of the things I was curious about.

I believe in receiving the perfect blowjob. Since I have yet to find it, I have recently tasked Elguapo with joining me in my quest. He is way behind in the search but making up ground quickly.

I believe in God. I believe there is something which created all. I think God used to meddle with humankind a lot (Old Testament and all that), but then he kinda figured out that didn’t work. So he just watches now. But he’s still there. And he’s there for me when I need him. And he’s there when I want to thank someone. I don’t believe I need to fold my hands or sit in a designated House of God for him to hear me. I believe all deities (the Lord, Allah, Buddha etc.) are the same being, much like the blind men and the elephant story. God is not to blame, but he will listen to you regardless. I believe God can forgive anything, and I know that he doesn’t give a damn about anything I do that devout Christians would call sinning. I don’t need Jesus Christ, because I have a pretty good connection to his father. Me and God are tight.

I don’t believe in Karma, or that everybody gets what he deserves, but I do believe in being nice to your brotherman or sisterwoman. Dance and scream and love.

Fail. I said nothing of the sort.

Duh. Religion is a subset of philosophy, not the other way around. No kidding. Also, asking about beliefs and hoping people somehow forget religious beliefs when providing their answer because of what forum you put it in. Or something, I guess I’m not actually sure what you were trying to do here.

What, that a thread about philosophy is better served in P&R than EE? You needed to start this thread to find that out? You coulda just asked, man. You’re pretty much the only person here who thinks it should be in EE, in case you haven’t noticed.

Yes, but no more people would have than if you hadn’t. Look at Arioch’s post up there. It doesn’t seem as if this thread being in EE has altered his focus, and it really shouldn’t’ve anyway. All you’ve done with this move is make some people go…um, why? I suppose it could be argued that making a bunch of people wonder why is philosophical!

We’re just being courteous. The thread’s already here and all. You make it sound as if you put this in Movies, people would spontaneously start dropping film titles that dealt with philosophy.

Anyway, that’s of minor import. Why did you want to lead people away from religious-based answers or thought? To see if people are capable of it? Did you honestly think people who adhere to a religious faith or belief system would answer any other way?

I dunno, I don’t really mean to come down so hard on your thread, really. I just think your aim to be deliberately vague and tricky only resulted in mild confusion and instead of giving people impetus to pontificate, it only gave them a small purchase to use a springboard for making jokes.

Sorry, I don’t swing that way.

I dunno, I don’t really mean to come down so hard on your thread, really. I just think your aim to be deliberately vague and tricky only resulted in mild confusion and instead of giving people impetus to pontificate, it only gave them a small purchase to use a springboard for making jokes.

You misunderstand my goal in this post.

If nothing else, it allows me to compare and contrast between this and other boards / web communities I am a part of, to whom I have also asked this question.

As to why I didn’t put it in P&R… shrug This thread is, to me, neither politics nor religion. If we disagree, that’s fine.

I don’t believe in destiny, or the guiding hand of fate. I don’t believe in forever, or love as a mystical state. I don’t believe in the stars or the planets, or angels watching from above. But I believe there’s a ghost of a chance we can find someone to love.

And make it last, bitches.

I believe I can see the future…

You guys will all be sorry when the Great Pumpkin arrives in his orange and seeded glory.

So, how are we fairing?

As to why I didn’t put it in P&R… shrug This thread is, to me, neither politics nor religion. If we disagree, that’s fine.

Fair enough. After I get home from work, I’ll post something in here that is more to what you’re asking.

We’re a hell of a lot more diverse, fonder of brevity, and more apt to quip rather than respond seriously than any other community I’m part of.

The forum for Israeli gamers turned this question into an argument of religious beliefs within Judaism, for instance, without nearly a single quip.

All in all, a solid win for QT3.

Yeesh. Somebody light a firecracker under those stodgy old fogies (note that age is not a dependant factor upon one’s stodginess nor foginess).

All in all, a solid win for QT3.

GG TEAM ^__^