Do you report/ ignore people on online forums?

In my first 8 or so years around here, I’d only put one person on ignore.

Over the course of this year, that number has jumped to about a dozen. Which makes me sad.

I’ve never reported anyone. I have a hard time even imagining a scenario where I’d want to.

I just scroll past them. Mordrak causes me a lot, and I mean a lot, of scrolling but I don’t begrudge him his fun.

That’s funny. I bet part of the reason Lynch posted this because I told him I was putting him on ignore due to his behavior in DennyA’s should-have-been-in-P&R-what-was-he-thinking “belief in God” EE thread.

Of course I don’t really know what Lynch had in mind with this poll, because I didn’t click “View Post” in this thread at all. This is actually the first time I’ve put someone on ignore and kept them there, but it’s helpful since now I get to actually think about whether I have the time and energy for more potential blithering whenever I see that Lynch posted something. It’s like a dunce cap of sorts, a pleasant, private presumption of guilt, per prior poor performance.

I suppose Lynch went over my personal line for deliberate disingenuity (disingenuousness?). Interesting that that had never happened before in almost a decade here.

I do wish there were a way to find out how many people have you on ignore. Not who they are, but only the quantity. I know at least one person here claims to have me on ignore as well. (But I forgot who…)

In my millions years of forum-surfing, I haven’t /ignored anybody yet, because obviously that’s a sure sign of weakness. I’ve reported spam-bots here though, just to kiss Tom’s ass in hopes of earning enough brownie points to avoid being banned.

How did the brownie point strategy work out for you?

No idea, perhaps it mitigated 50% of my downtime.

Personally I have never reported anything on a forum other then horrific images that needed to be removed. Ignore I use sparingly, someone has to work very very hard for me to actually ignore them.

I think I’ve only put one person on ignore but he was later banned anyway.

There is no “neither” option so I can’t vote.

I think I know who you are talking about. If I’m right, he’s back. At first I was okay with it, but now I remember what a dick he can be and long for some sweet Derek Smart lawsuit threats.

I’m in a similar boat. I find idiots more laughable than annoying and don’t want to miss out on any of the quality gems that such people will inevitably post. As far as the report button goes, any use other than to report a spambot seems too close to tattling for my tastes.