Do you where a watch? If so, what, and why?

The problem with cell phones isn’t so much that people talk on them in public or that people can call you anywhere on them; it’s that they still don’t work well enough. People call me on cell phones and I can’t understand half the things they say — it’s like a drive-through speaker.

Yeah I used to have a shitty mobile phone too.

Yeah, I wear a watch. For utilitarian reasons, its to tell the time without having to reach into my pocket and look at my cellphone. And, for non-utilitarian reasons, I watches for aesthetic reasons.

Yeah. I wear an Adidas analoge thing with steel/aluminium links and a black face.

Shoes, suits and watches are the only fashion/style items I actively play a part in choosing with aesthetic reasons. Everything else is grand as long as I don’t look like a hobo or stupid, but with those three I seek out decent looking pieces. (And sunglasses if I could find a way of carrying them around safely when I don’t want to have them on)

I used to have a cheap plastic Timex until my brother pointed out to me that a watch is more of a fashion accessory than a necessary tool, and consequently I should wear a nice one if I’m going to wear one at all. After that I ordered a Nixon watch for about $80 and it seems decent enough. I’m rather fond of it. It’s small potatoes next to the $2000 watch that one of my coworkers sports, but, baby steps and all that.

For everyday use, I wear a Seiko Kinetic, similar to this, but with titanium trim instead of gold:

For dressy occasions, I wear a Movado, which was a gift from my parents:

I like watches, both for their practicality as well as the only type of jewelry/accessory I wear.

The advantage of watches over phones is that you can check the time faster. Instead of reaching wherever your cell phones is stored and pressing a button to turn the backlight on, you just move your arm a bit. It’s like the difference between using a hotkey or not in an RTS. Right now I wear a simple black Swatch.

I stopped whereing a witch a few years ago when the band broke. Realized I didn’t need one that much. Eventually got a cell phone and didn’t need one at all anymore.

But if I did were a whatch, it would be this one.

I wear a Seiko SARB031. It’s a great watch that looks nice and doesn’t cost a ton. I’ve worn it with pretty much everything from jeans and t-shirt to a tux; plus there’s a window on the back that lets you see the automatic winder so if you get really bored you can take the watch off and play with that.

Watches are very hard for me to pick out. For one, i’m 6’ tall, but i have really thin wrists; i could easily wear a women’s watch though it would look a bit small (and that they all look girly). Most men’s watches are too large for me to wear comfortably. IE, if the watch minus the bands span the entire top of my wrist, it’s too large, imo.

Now, combine that with my deep pickiness about watch styles. I think most watch style are guady with unnecessarily large dials, weird blocky accents, ect.

So, i wear this with a leather strap until i can find an aviator with a real working slide rule that doesn’t suck. Sapphire face, nice clean lines, not made for ogre arms.

My FAVORITE watch, though, has to be one of those silly Molnija souvenir pocket watches made in Russia. I want to go back and become a teacher just so i can force my students to listen to one of those pocket watches ticking during a test.

Haven’t worn a watch since marriage. My wife insisted that I take it off on going to bed, and then always forgot to put it back on, and found I didn’t need it

Dude, seriously: http://www.121time.com

The watches are generally 37-40mm, which is small by today’s standards (I would say “elegant”) and you can build it any old way you want. It’s not a Timex or a Casio, we’re talking real Swiss bits and pieces here so you need to be ready to drop a few hundred, but you’re getting something that’s roughly equivalent to a $3k Omega or Rolex for a fraction of the price.

I fell in love with the Omega Spacemaster, and really the only noticeable difference is that the chrono function on my watch is 10-2-6 instead of 6-9-12. Sapphire crystal (better than most Rolexes, which have a crappy composite glass) 200m waterproof for light pool duty, maybe some 50ft or less diving, great stainless band identical in quality to the big boys, Swiss Made mark, custom engraving on the back (I put the date I made Grandmaster on it.) Keep in mind that this was when I went all watch wonk for a while, wanting a classy, functional, bulletproof timepiece, but I’m still thrilled with the watch. Couple that with their awesome configurator and you should be able to find something to suit.

I used to wear a watch (how does one where a watch?) until I realized I have anxiety about time, and found that life is much more relaxing when I’m not constantly checking what time it is. :)

When I wore a watch, the skin underneath the wristband was always clammy, and eventually my watch wrist gave off a weird, sour odour. Though it was disgusting, I found myself smelling my wrist compulsively. I wasn’t pleased with what that said about my personality, so I threw the watch out. I was a kid at the time, and I definitely have the frontal lobe capacity now to handle a watch, but today I just don’t need one. So, did anyone else ever have that problem?

iPod Nano Watch!

http://www.myincipio.com/linq

Wow. I didn’t even know some people had stopped wearing them.

A cell phone isn’t an equivalent to a watch for timekeeping, IMHO. You have to pull the phone out of the pocket, then turn it on. A watch you can casually glance at.

I have a nice Tissot as well, I wear it ten or twelve days a year when I’m at a funeral, a job interview, an important business meeting, etc.

I used to be a watch fiend, had several Seikos as well as cheap ones, but since I started carrying a cell phone 24/7 many years ago I sort of decided there wasn’t any point in wearing one other than as an accessory.

You turn your phone off? I keep mine on silent, but if I want to check the time I pull it out of my pocket and glance at it.