Dom2 email games starting?

I got this for Christmas from my wonderful wife, but due to travel and my son’s day care being closed this week, I haven’t even had a chance to install it yet.

But if anyone wants to get another game started mid-January, after I get a chance to learn the basics, I’m game.

(Where’s the “starter FAQ” for this game?)

We’re just waiting on one more pretender file. Not naming any
names, mind you, because he’s playing anti-Ermor religious zealots…

The first Dom2 thread on QT3: http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6869&start=0

The second one: http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7199

Bruce’s excellent walkthrough (great way to get started): http://www.maladjustite.com/dom2_walkthru.html

Even if you’re a hardcore strategy gamer, you will need at least the walkthrough to get started.

(Edit: fixed first link)

I’m enjoying 2 out of my 4 games, but 4 is probably enough for now. My game as the abyssinians (the first online game bruce started) has been a nightmare of sad defeats and impending doom from multiple foes. I don’t relish making those turns. We haven’t started the second online bruce game yet.

In the kevin perry game, where I’m the vanheim, I have some high drama going on with the twisted miscreants of R’yleh. They better be ready to tangle with my uber God though, the mighty Juggernot. I’ve been drunk when making a couple of turns though, so it will be kind of interesting to see how things turnout. Since I’m the vikings, I figure being drunk is totally in character.

In my own game, I agreed to no outside of game diplomacy, which I don’t mind at all (I love the dark ages style communication that results from using the in-game message service), so I can’t say too much. I will say that Mike Oberly and I are deciding the fates of all mankind in our Marignon-Ermor War. The Inquisition must prevail! I’m not sure what else is going on in this game, but I watch the graphs like a hawk, trying to piece together battles between kingdoms by the way the army graph changes. And of course the Eye of Marignon is ever vigilant.

Heh. For a sec I thought that said Doom2 email games.

Ah this is embarrasing, I lost my manual and don’t know how to join a pbem game, I can’t find any manuals online either and it doesn’t have a pdf. Can anyone help me out?

Just send the .2h file from your newlords directory in the game. It will be named the nationality of whatever nation you have chosen and created a Pretender for.
When you receive the .trn file back from the host, you need to put it into a new directory called whatever they have nominated as the name of the game.

Gentlemen, start your engines!
The GameWithNoName has officially begun.
Please conduct yourselves with the appropriate decorum, including
(but not limited to):
[ul]No out-of-game diplomacy[/ul]
[ul]Plenty of trash-talking on the appropriate Qt3 forum[/ul]
[ul]Try to keep a rough journal/history of your rise and inevitable
fall for posterity[/ul]

Ermor has fallen- the Soul Gates have been opened and my
generals are coming…

Woo hoo! First technical glitch!
I had to re-send turn 1. Please use the second .trn file in your mailbox
(yes, the one with the subject as [GWNN]) instead of the original .trn.
I’ve been tinkering with Bruce’s Perl script- I’ll restrict my tests
to my own account in future. :)

How’s the email game going? Anyone out yet?

No, but I’ll be sending Bruce hate mail this Christmas instead of a card.

Tom "T’ien Chi"ck and I have had an epic battle going in the northeast corner of the map (I’m playing Arco). It’s been my sea of chariots and tough core of hoplites versus whatever those freaky Chinese units he gets are. I won the first skirmish and then made an idiotic move into his capital, thinking that maybe I had him back on his heels and could get a quick knockout blow. Ha ha! Oh well. Since then, it’s been this enormous back-and-forth at the same mutual border. He smashes one of my armies, I smash one of his. A lot of canny will-he-go-here-or-there type stuff. Should I hold this, or pull back? How much does he have coming up as reinforcements? Great stuff. It’s been the best war I’ve ever played in this game. Fortunately, I had been able to expand more than him before we met, so I was able to put up a good second fortress at the border (in a province surrounded by forest and mountains), which has helped me a lot. I think he’s fighting whatever the Chinese equivalent is to the Battle of the Bulge at this point.

However, I may as well join him on his funeral pyre, or whatever those celestial-sphere-worshipping T’ien Chi use, because while Tom and I were busily pounding each other into sand, everyone else has been conquering the map and building armies and generally getting on with the business of becoming a total badass. Jotunheim just plowed through my southern neighbor and showed up on my border, so that’s my next fight (unless he goes off fighting someone else).

One point the war with Tom definitely drove home for me: fortress placement is critical. I agonized over whether to put the fort in a mountain province one space away from the border, or a valley province right on the border. The mountain would give me more immediate resources, but the valley was closer to Tom (and still surrounded by forests and mountains, so even though I get few resources from the land under my fortress, I still get a lot per turn because of the fortress’s ability to pull in resources from surrounding territories). I went with the valley, which has worked out pretty well. Of course, that means I have to try and hold not just my fortress, but the lands around it, or I start to lose some of my fortress resources. But I think it’s a good tradeoff for being able to build armies right on Tom’s doorstep.

This has been a fun game. No one is knocked out yet, but Pythium appears to be on the ropes. I’m a little nervous about the giants growing too strong on their spoils of war.

I managed to give Ermor a few bloody noses early, but they’re far from finished. I’m playing Marignon, and our entire unit mix is built to counter the undead which is nice for me. I think Mike Oberly, who is playing Ermor, chose some particularly nasty version of Ermor to play. It seems like every province he goes into ends up as a wasteland. Provinces with thousands of happy tax paying peasants end up with just a few hundred miserable folk left. It gives the game a fantasy novel type of feel when one of the kingdom’s is detrimental to every last living being’s health. The Inquisition looks forward to the day of Ermor’s final defeat.

Oops, I just realized I gave play-by-play for the other game I’m in (Rob’s?). I think Rob did too.

In Carnifex’s game, it’s still very early. Turns come a little slower in this game (maybe once every 2 days), so we’re on like turn 10 I think. I don’t think I’ve even seen a non-independent banner yet.

Yeah, sorry, I’m not even in that game. Turn 10? That game is crawling. We’re up to turn 28 in mine (kudos to the players, they’re driving the game speed, not me). Dom2 starts to get interesting around turn 15, and then becomes nerve-wracking around turn 25.

Well, his game started a week or two after yours, IIRC. But it does move slower.

The Boston Rob game started on Nov 29 and is in turn 28, which is about a turn every 1.7 days. The Carnifex game started on Dec 30 and is in turn 9, which is also about a turn every 1.7 days. So the games are moving at almost exactly the same rate.

The Carnifex game missed most of the holiday disruption, so those numbers are not entirely comparable, but the fact remains that it started an entire month after the first set of games.

Someone should start a Dom2 m/p trash-talking thread.

The Boston Rob game started on Nov 29 and is in turn 28, which is about a turn every 1.7 days. The Carnifex game started on Dec 30 and is in turn 9, which is also about a turn every 1.7 days. So the games are moving at almost exactly the same rate.

The Carnifex game missed most of the holiday disruption, so those numbers are not entirely comparable, but the fact remains that it started an entire month after the first set of games.

Someone should start a Dom2 m/p trash-talking thread.[/quote]

Sorry, I thought the Carnifex game was the Bruce email game which was started before my game. I’d be interested to know where that one stood in relation to my game. I bet I’m CRUSHING your game.

Someone should start a Dom2 m/p trash-talking thread.[/quote]
Damn your Vulcan logic, Spock!

I really do think the Rob game moves faster, probably because of the holiday disruption thing, and also because of the way turns stretch out. In other words, I am guessing every game will take longer per turn as turn numbers increase, because every turn is more complicated later in the game. In the early going I got a Rob move every day. Now it’s slowed to the point that it averages 1.7 days per move. Even in the early going, the Carnifex game is averaging 1.7 days per move. I’m sure that by the time it’s at turn 28, it will be averaging more like 3-4 days per move.

Get me stats for Rob’s game at turn 9!

Another disruption that easily accounts for me losing .2 or so on my turn-per-day average is that someone STOLE Steve’s computer which set us back a couple of days. I tried to convince him that it must have been Pythium agents in a last ditch attempt to stave off their inevitable destruction, but he didn’t believe me. Luckily it was ‘only’ his work computer and once he got his email straightened out we managed to get the game back on an Olympian turn-per-day pace.