Dom2: Good vs Evil game - CLOSED, get your pretenders ready!

ok, I’ll take Vanheim. Sweet, I can be the Vanheim Steam Roller

First advice, McMaster - make an Allfather Pretender - he’s the big guy on the horse that looks like Odin. Very, very powerful pretender if done right. For your first game, I’d say try to make a SuperCombatant out of the Allfather, and just have him romping around with troops yelling DESTROY in Norse and murdering all those who defy him. Definitely try out at least 2 to 3 Pretender builds in single player for at least 5-10 turns to get a feel for how well he does in battle, then send in your best Pretender build to the game host.

I’m not that familiar with Vanheim, but Air and Water magic seems to be their bread-and-butter. Look through the spell lists a bit when making your Pretender, and check out some of the nasty Lightning or Ice stuff you’d want your Pretender to fling around to help you determine how strong he should be in each path of magic. Then again, if you’re going with a primarily melee SC, this could be lowered in priority.

I’d be happy to play a nation. Too many posts already to figure out which if any slots are left. I guess I would be mentor-type player.

YaY!

I was a little intimidated by the idea of being the only mentor.

OK, as of this post the top post is up-to-date.

Should the good nations perhaps be disallowed use of death and blood magic, or would this be too crippling? It might distract from the flavour of the game if there were large armies of demons and undead working for the good guys.

I think the newbies should be allowed to use whatever means necessary to win. Also, part of the reason for this game is for them to get exposure to as much of the game as possible.

Uh, McMaster is a n00b - he literally just got the game. And which Rob has R’lyeh, Boston or Vegas?

I’m familiar with a lot of the “good” nations, especially Marignon, Pangaea and Tien Chi. That’s why I didn’t pick one of those. The nation you are playing, Man, is relatively straightforward, so I can help you with any question you might have about it. Nick can help as well. Once the game starts, I’ll send you (and everyone else on the team, obviously) my email, so you can ask questions.[/quote]

Cool. I’m going to run a few practice games with Man so I’m not completely lost but some advice on a pretender build for Man would be very welcome. :)

I’m familiar with a lot of the “good” nations, especially Marignon, Pangaea and Tien Chi. That’s why I didn’t pick one of those. The nation you are playing, Man, is relatively straightforward, so I can help you with any question you might have about it. Nick can help as well. Once the game starts, I’ll send you (and everyone else on the team, obviously) my email, so you can ask questions.[/quote]

Cool. I’m going to run a few practice games with Man so I’m not completely lost but some advice on a pretender build for Man would be very welcome. :)[/quote]

A little fire magic can be very very handy for a Man pretender. Man has no fire magic, but has great archers. Taking a fire mage pretender to find fire magic sites and then using him to beef those archers up with the fire arrows spell can produce scary results.

I knew that!

List updated to reflect Balut’s nitpicking :P

OK, sign me up for Atlantis. Never played them. What about moving Ulm to bad guys to balance out numbers?

Well, since Backov is going to be a mentor, I’ll take Ermor in his place. :)

hey, so where are the cool things I need to download like the background and stuff?

Looks like another mentor is needed. Put me down for Ulm and give VegasRobb his Ermor. ;>

Oh Oh. We are giving Ermor to Mr. Vegas “Burden Of Time On Turn 15” Robb and we expect this to be newbie friendly?

Oh well, I guess if he pulls an early BoT then we can probably get some people on the evil side to help us eliminate him.

Fantastic, the Master himself beneath the waves with his longtime (and underachieving) pupil. Cue track nine from Synchronicity. This time you won’t burn, freeze, electrocute, and blugdeon me to death quite so easily my dear Clark! Mwuhahahahahahahhhaha…

-Robbothotep

I’ve never played team dom2 before, but I’m salivating at the thoughts of some of the synergies. Being on the same team as Ulm means all good players get dwarven hammers if we can cough up the earth gems, or staves of storms from Caelum, or path boosting items from each other. Definitely ought to give a big boost in the magical oomph department. I know I normally have to beg and trade to get some of those key items if I’m playing the wrong nation to make them myself.

I think the good players should pool ideas before the pretenders are finalized to make some plans to exploit these synergies.

Oh Oh. We are giving Ermor to Mr. Vegas “Burden Of Time On Turn 15” Robb and we expect this to be newbie friendly?

Oh well, I guess if he pulls an early BoT then we can probably get some people on the evil side to help us eliminate him.[/quote]

Couple things:

I could have cast BoT much earlier than 15

And uh … I’m not going to go AE Ermor this game, really.

Is there somewhere private we can do this? A Yahoo! Groups mailing list or web-forum maybe… Because I’ve got a TON of questions.