Dominions 5: Multiplayer Warriors of the Feint - 2018 Stabby-Stabby Edition

Yes, mountains and rivers can be set to a %.

I guess i’m in the other camp - i like that rivers and mountains can be significant barriers now. I think in terms of a game where you know your starting position, they can be mitigated by your scales (ie taking a cold nation into an area of rivers if you want easy bypass, or perhaps have a bless strategy allowing your sacreds easy access across water).

Yeah, I get it. I think it was mostly bad luck for me on these maps. I am surrounded by rivers with a cold blooded nation that needs heat, and sea all around me, and on the other map I could never keep it warm enough to hold mountain passes open and if I moved armies past them they would have been trapped. That and a combination of some sea there, with rivers right next to mountains, and I had very very limited mobility to do anything at all with land armies.

I do agree that they add a nice element overall, though.

In general I really like the new Dom 5 random maps. I spent a LOT of time on previous versions hand tweaking maps to fit our games. The random maps are now good enough where they supported a 10, 12 and now 14 person game (with different nation types) successfully. That saved me … 30 hours of map making?

I can see the frustrations of a bad “map roll” but remember one person’s terrain impediment may justify another nation’s gratitude for mountain survival. :-)

One option for the possible 10 vs 10 game is to pre-gen 5 maps with the right settings and then put them up to a vote. You won’t know where you start, but people often have feelings about which maps looks “right”.

WyldeRyde3 -

One of my researchers was “exploring a dungeon” and was assassinated by a Gelatinous Cube!

I dont know whether to be pleased or saddened!

No doubt that was a Lemuria-leaning Gelatinous Cube… :)

WyldeRyde3

I’m looking for a permanent sub for Jomon. As you can all probably tell from my complete absence from the thread and horrible (even by my lackluster standards) play, I’ve really burnt out on Dominions over this past month or so. I’ve been kind of phoning in my turns and that isn’t really fair to you all. On top of that, I have to be out of town for the first three weeks of June so would need to find a sub eventually anyway.

Jomon isn’t in a terrible spot, but it’ll take some digging to get it out of the hole I’ve put it in. Research is decent, and I’ve stockpiled a respectable amount of gems.

Anyway, sorry I basically disappeared. Both from this and Furies earlier.

Llamaserver is telling me my 2h files aren’t valid. I feel so rejected :)

Anyways, I hope Jomon gets a sub.

And in other news, for the team game, I looked through the loaded Dom5 maps on the Llamaserver that could fit 10 players a side. There is a few that looking interesting:
(And the names are)
Faerun
Origins
Archaea_5_ea_modv5 ( i guess it got tweaked a lot)
New Age
200 prov team map

Looking in the manual, the only way we can ensure the each team mate starts close to each other is if we play a disciple game - or if we have someone manually set the start positions on a map file, and then gives everyone the map file to upload and use.

If we go with the disciple route, we wont be able to pick our own start locations, so we could do pyrhics A-B-B-A-A method of picking nations.

I do remember playing, i think dom2 or 3, on the Faerun map…it was pretty.

should be working now - there’s a note on llama

Ugh, haven’t made a mistake like that in a while. I would call it a rookie mistake, but is more like an intermediate level mistake, heh. Cost me a battle for sure, though. Ouch!

Wyld: should we pause the game until Ott’s substitute is found?

well, the only in-game way to ensure team proximity is with disciples(and random), but if start positions are not random, it’s easy enough to set.

Frankly, on a game of that scale, i think its better to have the teams choose (however) and then assign, then to leave it to chance…

Yeah, I think it will be best served this way:

• get with milspec’, and see how many of his band of merry pirates and Conan wannabes want to play this.
  • form teams
  • pick map, pick nations, and start positions if desired
  • since we have the nations and teams picked, spend june/july wrapping up milspec’s game, vacation, etc, as well as trying out different builds and talking as a team for strategy. One thing I want to see is if a ‘buddy system’ to do a turn if you cannot do it would work, to mitigate unforseen problems and drops.
  • start at some point August or whenever everyone is back from vacation/holiday.

I agree with this in principle. We have about 12 active players in our group.

For anyone not in WyldRide 3, just bumping this comment to see if a sub wants to join a game.

I’m happy to pause the game until we get a sub. There are no problems my end if Jomon either sets to AI (a one province border is easy to hold) or continues to stale. If the latter, I certainly won’t set foot in Jomon lands to keep things fair.

Wyld: As Lemuria’s time seems to draw to a close(again), does anyone have issue with Steve taking up Jomon’s reins once (and if) Lemuria falls?

I would be okay with that, @pyrhic

Only if he plays it Evilly.

@Evil_Steve - i really don’t know how any nation other than marignon could have possibly handled Lemuria…

I could have I think? Hard to say, only saw one big fight where pyrhic was pretty dominant I thought. C’Tis: Good priests, also death paths for dust to dust//wither bones and my own undead spam. Dunno.

^This. It makes way for an exciting conclusion to the game I think.

ah well, one can but dream. trounced at the end. i never realised just how good lemuria would be with these settings, and had never played an undead nation before, nor, indeed an undead blood nation (!)

congrats

@Strato But a lot of his undead are ethereal, and those grand priests - i dunno wtf they were doing, but they’d be surrounded and no one would/could hit them. Then there’s the simple fact of how fast lemuria can build…

@Evil_Steve - it’s not…congrats. That’s like congratulating water for being able to put out fire. You were hemmed in, reduced mostly to your capital for the whole game, and yet still you smashed bogarus and jomon and you took a concerted effort from me just to keep you down.