Doom (2016)

I played through the game on Ultra-Violence, and although there were a few places I got stuck a few times, there was nothing I couldn’t get through. Sometimes it required changing what I was stubbornly trying to do, I do remember that. Still, it would have been really tough if I’d taken a break from the game and tried coming back.

I kind of wished I’d done it on Hurt Me Plenty first. That way I’d have an excuse to play through the game again on Ultra-Violence.

I suppose I could give it another shot one of these days on Nightmare. But I think that’s the difficulty in which enemies keep coming back. At least it was in Doom II. That difficulty level was never for me. I like my enemies to stay dead once I kill them.

Because I apparently have too much free time on my hands, I made a dumb thing.

Haha, nice. I haven’t seen the Doom Forever trailer but I’m confident it’s not going to be as good as that. I still get the ‘what if?’ feels from that Duke music. Tremendous stuff Zylon.

I have an old save folder that I want to use. I copied the folder into C:\Users[username]\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM\base\savegame.user\ but the game ignores it and creates a new folder. Any help for that?

Was thinking of playing either this or DOOM 3 BLG edition for my “halloween” game. I played a bit of DOOM 3 on release and liked the graphics and animations, and touches like the computer monitors, but the environments seemed so tiny and confining due to the high tech requirements of the engine at the time relative to PCs at the time. But it might actually be a “spookier” game for Halloween, and I always wanted to go back to it.

The original Crysis is also in the running - I guess the aliens at the end are kinda scary lol

It’s pretty spooky, and the D3 graphics still hold up, great use of shadow and light.

Doom 3 has it all over Doom 2016 for closed-in, spooky environments. The latter is all about running, gunning, and doing glory kills at just the right time. Which is awesome but not spooky.

Agreed. Doom 2016 is a much better game than Doom 3, but it’s not spooky in any way.

For Doom 3, if you can track down the console version of the game, it’s much better paced and is genuinely spooky. Instead of every room being dark, they use dark rooms more sparingly. In the PC version the darkness just becomes a constant, and is annoying, but in the console version done by Vicarious Visions, when you do go into a rare room that’s really dark, it feels really spooky.

(I know Doom 3 BFG edition on Xbox One X is supposed to be enhanced backwards compatible, but I’m not sure if Doom 3 BFG edition uses id software’s original level design, or the superior level design by Vicarious Visions for Xbox’s Doom 3. I would love to know the answer to that if anyone knows).

I don’t know anything about the console game, but the PC version of the BFG edition just uses iD’s original game, with widescreen native, the flashlight mod etc. I’m definitely biased towards mouse keyboard for at least this older shooter.

With all the hubbub about Doom Eternal I decided to finally get around to playing this one. I have to say the checkpoint system in this game is very frustrating. I got the heavy rifle on level 2, and I upgraded it using a field drone I had previously seen. Then I went past that, got to an airlock and was having some trouble/fun with the enemies past that, decided to quit. Today I load it back up, and my save has me right in front of that same airlock. It was only after I’d progressed a little bit further that I realized, after trying to use it once or twice, that my upgrade from the field drone was gone! So apparently it saved my location or something, but not the fact that I’d done the drone? This isn’t the first time the saving has perplexed me. The worst part is, I went back, and the elevator that I’d used to get to the field drone the first two times (once when I first found it and decided [it turns out wisely!] against using it on the shotgun, which I’d already droned and was the only weapon aside from the pistol I had at the time, and once again going back to upgrade the heavy rifle when I found it), and the elevator is…locked! What the fuck! This sucks.

I don’t remember running into too much of that, though I did occasionally.

I like their solution to this in Doom Eternal. At the end of every level, you unlock the ability to fast travel to various points of the map. So that area where the elevator gets blocked off? Well, you’d be able to warp in to a part of the map earlier than that to get all the items you may have missed, and then warp back to the end of the level to officially “finish” it.

I did get it, though! That’s the frustrating part. I mean, the really frustrating part is that the area is now closed off, which there is no reason to do! Just a middle finger for nothing. There is absolutely no indication something like this would happen, either. Nothing got closed off in the first level

The only problem with that theory is that I was able to do it once. It was just the dumb save system that robbed me of it and now the dumb backwards progress gating that’s keeping me from doing it again. Oh well I’m just gonna have to replay the level I guess.

Yeah, that was one of my issues with Doom 2016: the checkpointing and having to do the entire level again to access some part that was locked off arbitrarily. I mean, the plus side is that running through levels again was a good way of working on weapon masteries but it’s annoying when you realise you’re going to have to do the lot again for no good reason.

As @Rock8man said, Eternal has a fast travel system right at the end of each level to allow you to backtrack before you leave. I had a few glitches where certain things didn’t trigger so I wasn’t able to 100% a level and had to reload it afterwards, but another great thing with Eternal is that it saves all your unlocks the moment you unlock them so you can drop into a level, do what you need to do, then quit out and continue with the campaign. All nice quality of life things.

Interesting, it’s even dumber than I thought. Today I restarted the mission and went to a secret I found the first time around, the plasma rifle in the air duct. I hadn’t found the heavy rifle yet (honestly I kind of forget where it was) or gone through the airlock, but as soon as I got the rifle/token, the elevator to the upgrade drone was locked. It might trigger when the hatch to the air duct is even opened. I guess I’ll see, because I’m gonna do the mission again now thanks to this (I really want to put that upgrade on the heavy rifle!). Maybe krayzkrok is actually right and they do this to gate the drone upgrade away from the plasma rifle. If so, it’s dumb and clunky.

Ok, I must return to the thread to admit that it was I, in fact, who was/is dumb. The checkpointing, whatever, maybe it hosed me with the field drone the first time, but after playing through the first part of the level like 4(!) times now, I can tell you the elevator did not lock. I just confused it with the elevator right above it which is always, as far as I can tell, locked. Ugh.

Yeah, I’m on the third level and having fun. I upped it to Ultra-Violence because Hurt Me Plenty seemed too safe.

Hell Knights, man.

Super Shotgun stuns them.

Don’t have it yet. :(