Doom (2016)

Yep, got it. Those praetor upgrades to the “navigation” system are gold. This is great. Having fun.

Man, I bounced off this game pretty hard when the demo first came out, but I’m finding it a good rush this time around, whew.

Opening that thing out is satisfying enough, let alone before you pull the trigger.

That’s the best rune in the game you should really try to get it!

If you can get Rich Get Richer rolling along with the rune that gives you armor on glory kills, you can pretty much chaingun down most encounters. Bust out rockets and the gauss rifle for any mancubus that spawns.

Just reinstalled this. See y’all on the other side.

I finally reached a rune challenge I’m not at all sure I can do, the one where you have to stagger three Hell Knights with the heavy assault rifle and then perform a specific glory kill on them (death from above). Oof.

Good luck. We’re all counting on you.

Oh, good tip! Maybe I can do it…

I did do it, thanks to your tip. The trial with the imps and the not being able to move was way more annoying thanks to the super shotgun being the weapon you have to use and its reload times (don’t have it fully upgraded yet)

Oh no! I have had zero technical problems, but the checkpoint system continues to annoy. Yesterday I did the very annoying in-flight mobility rune and quit after. When I loaded it back up, the challenge was incomplete! I was standing right in front of it, though, so it knew I had been there, I guess. After several more attempts I got it, then I died to some enemies, but the rune remained done, so I have no idea how this game is keeping track of anything. I hate checkpoints. Let me save when I want, god damn it.

That sucks. I had about 5 crashes during the final sections of Doom Eternal, which is crazy because up until that point it had been rock solid.

Yeah, that kind of thing is infuriating!

That’s a terrible bug to just leave unfixed.

I was going to comment on your Steam review and basically say ‘Based on some of the things you’ve said here, I’m pretty sure you’ll love Eternal!’. Particularly:

“Some of the later levels feel much like later Doom 2 levels in spirit, one brawl after another in interconnected maps, I wish there were more of those.”

“This greater degree of movement isn’t just for exploration but a key part of combat if you want to survive.”

My problem is I want more Doom Eternal!

My only real gripe with the game so far is that I don’t really “feel” enemies or damage. This isn’t really something I would have imagined other games gave to me, but all too often in this game the only reason I know I am taking damage is because suddenly the little “you’re gonna die” beep goes off. There’s very little “tacticility” to it, and I don’t like that at all. Likewise sometimes I don’t realize I’m too close to an enemy, and also I don’t like that enemies sometimes can’t be staggered, the Hell Knights in particular. I just don’t feel as “in the world” as I do in other games, I guess. Still enjoying it, though I haven’t played in a couple days (other stuff going on, and I am compelled to gather all the little bits and bobs, and finding some of those has proven very tough).

Yeah, Doom was solid at 1080p on my 8GB, i5 3.3GHz, GTX 970 system with everything turned up (not sure about max though), but Eternal I had to dial a few things down from High (texture pool size, shadows, water and… reflections on Medium) and quit most other applications. That kept a solid 60fps with a little adaptive resolution scaling. This guide was useful for optimising but might help you gauge your system’s capability.

$38 on HRK right now. I bought something from them once, no problems.

I did a post on adding Doom Eternal to Steam and it’s more convoluted than you’d expect.

And I don’t think Steam logs non-Steam games’ time played which is pretty much the only metric I really want from my launcher! (Bethesda’s doesn’t or at least I couldn’t see it anywhere.) I had much better luck using Playnite which I’ve now started appreciating more than GOG Galaxy.

One more thing, I could not take screenshots or videos of Doom Eternal through the Bethesda launcher. MSI Afterburner, OBS, Greenshot, print screen… nothing! Not even the in-game photo mode chucked out pictures. I’ve seen others mention this too. The Steam version might cost more but if any of these things sounds like they’d bother you, it might still be worth considering. I wish I’d spent the extra 7 quid for those conveniences and features!

There are videos out there about how you can exploit the level geometry to skip a big part of the level. Not that I would ever advocate for doing such a thing, mind you. Good day, sir.