Doom (2016)

Oh wow!

A game where you try to colonize/gentrify Hell would be pretty fun.

After a short hiatus I’m back at it and as collectible-crazy as ever. The general “floatiness” continues to annoy, but not enough to stop me from playing.

Uh, just finished Destroyed Argent Facility. The floatiness isn’t just movement, it’s how I just feel disconnected from the world and taking damage, etc. like I mentioned above. It’s very hard to put into words, but I don’t have any innate sense for how enemies are doing damage to me. It wouldn’t matter except so many of them are melee, and I don’t “feel” the danger.

It’s weird, man, I don’t think I’ve ever felt that way about a game before.

Every time the music fades and I get that little “checkpoint reached” chirp, I feel my shoulders relax.

Ok, this pinky room in Lazarus Labs is bullshit.

Out of ammo. Spent it on those two Barons in very close quarters in the elevator (I think?) and haven’t found any more.

I do have the ammo boost rune. I’m pretty sure I have it slotted in already, but I’ll check…

I keep thinking “this game is bullshit,” but somehow I can’t stop playing it. Hell Guards, hoo boy.

I beat the first one…is he the “hard” one?

I kind of feel like I’ve had enough Doom for now. It was fun for (checks Steam) 13 hours? But I don’t have the drive to push through to the end, at least not right now.

I played and finished this at launch on Hurt Me Plenty, but with all the recent DOOM activity I got motivated to play again on Ultra Violence. One thing I can’t remember is if the player can find all the secrets and collectibles on the first run through a level, or if you need to get further in the game and come back.

Anyone know if I should be able to find everything on my initial pass or if I need to revisit levels?

As far as I know you should be able to grab everything in one go.

Yikes, I missed a lot in the first 2 levels!

I’m so glad there was a bunch of DOOM talk the past couple months because I’m having a great time with my second play through, this time on Ultra Violence. I rarely ever go back and play a game I’ve already finished but this is definitely worthy. Most of the time I don’t die too much, but every once in a while there is a place that gives me trouble that takes many tries to pass. This last one was on a rune trial where you start with critical health and have a minute ten seconds to kill eight demons. I don’t know how many times I killed 7 and died, or had time run out. It can get hairy when there are multiple things trying to kill you at once, but it felt oh so good when I made it. I must have died 3 dozen times.

Uggg, that was the only one I bailed on.

Actually that isn’t the one I bailed. I bailed on the one that required me to do Death From Above. One of the quick large demons that smashes the ground chases me and I can’t get him near death below me so I can do the death from above from an elevated position.

Ahh, that’s good to know thanks. I think I had tried doing that as a single jump and failed and never tried again.

Won my Ultra Violence run, that was fun! Some of the late levels get a little to frantic or a little too long, but they were still very good. I don’t think I’ve played a game where I like the fast paced shooting so much. I’m usually a slower paced guy.