Doom classic - Sourceports, WADs, and MODs

The definitely brings back some feels of hunting ftp sites for custom maps.

More Mapwich

map 14
It starts with an intense slaughter arena crossed by rivers, and once they are all dead, from there it branches out to other areas with more normal run & gun combat. It has some interesting combat setups, like the ice area where the walls open up to have a bigger place to fight, ending in an epic fight at the end, or the final part where you fight between waterfalls.

map 15
Very classic infernal keep theme. Good layout, some tough fights in smallish rooms, but also a decent amount of filler combat.

map 16
Epic map in the jungle. IMO, it goes too far, it’s a bit of a slog, it’s too long. And I say that liking ‘epic’ maps. It does some nice things with dark sectors to emulate shadows, or with blinking lights. The maze part is cool.

map 17
An interesting theme of industrial / tech base but emphasis on rounded elements. It has good fight setups too, the type that are a bit nasty but you don’t mind because they are interesting. Like two dozens Archviles pouring from one room lol. While it’s a big map, it isn’t as much of a slog as I feared, a good amount of enemies are spent of the glorious end. Good use of colored light too.

Map 18, by Tango and Major Arlene.

This level has been pretty different than the rest. It’s similar to Ribbiks stuff, also to Major Arlene’s Technicolor Antichrist Box, so that means, smaller number of fights, but much tougher fights understood as combat puzzle with emphasis on high level enemies (skellies and knights and above). Lots of frustration in some of these fights, but once I finished I was left with the impression it wasn’t so bad? The theme is an overgrown garden.

Map 19, secret, super hard, I didn’t play.

Map 20, by Insane Gazebo and DAC

Insane Gazebo’s level look like (and plays) like a Insane Gazebo’ level. Including the >5000 enemies. Well, it actually is a fair bit easier than usual, and only ramps up the difficulty in the last section, where it seems it was done by DAC not by him. In one specific fight I had to use god mode, it seemed impossible to me to do.

Map 21, Chromatose

I wasn’t a fan of this level, and how it was repetitive in fights, how it insisted on platforming, and how it looked like. I think I played almost half of it and then skipped it.

Map 22, by Dragonfly & BridgeBurner

Last map of the megawad, by two heavyweight mappers. It’s the inevitably long, epic and hard map to finish off this mapset. Now that I think about it, it had several maps with more than 1000 enemies each.
it well could be called Bastion of Chaos 2, as it has a similar style and trappings than BridgeBurner’s previous map. It has a kickass midi, by the way.

And after this, I think I’m going to rest a bit of so much Dooming, and resume some other pending games.

This looks very cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5YAfvkXCOI

And another one

Newest DBP goes cyberpunk
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/123042-dbp37-augerzenith/
It’s also a bigger mapset they usually do (21 maps, instead of 5-10)

I wasn’t sure what to play after Auger Zenith, but the Ancient Aliens-inspired Intergalactic Xenology 2 has been a good choice. The first part was good, but this second part increases the polish and the strong concepts for levels.

(don’t mind the weapons, that’s a separate mod).

I uploaded my Doom wads folder (well, minus the IWADS subfolder…) to a Google Drive. In case it’s useful to anyone…
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QDwsBltfye2s-F9F38Bgrr-MKSNIKOtv?usp=sharing

Wow this is cool, thank you!

Yes, thankyou. I don’t usually comment on your posts here, but I do find them interesting and appreciate the effort you put in. I’ve bookmarked that for later use.

Dominic Tarason compiles all games done with the Doom engine (or descendant, which really is most of the cases)

Oh wow nice. Thank you!

Jimmy, the creator… of many things, have released a new map, called Nameless. And it’s great.

It features a Chutlhu mythos atmosphere with custom palette, new weapons and reskinned enemies, new midi, etc. Very atmosphere driven. 400 enemies, but it isn’t slaughter map, so it around 35 minutes of play. Difficulty balance is more on the easy side, without being trival. it isn’t a hard map, it doesn’t abuse of Archs and CDs, but also I never floated with lots of spare health and ammo. It’s also non linear an in a good way , and instead it has a flow with several venues and options, with 3 keys that unlock the map progressively, and 3 special keys you need for the final door. These last 3 keys can be a bit harder to find, but it’s a question of going for the ‘set pieces’, usually circular, they all are there.

I’ve not actually tried any of these (haven’t played DOOM in absolutely forever), but I find it very cool that modders are still out there, and QT3 has its very own librarian/archivist/curator for them. I do intend to dig through this thread and steal all the stuff you’ve provided at some point.

I play lots and lots of Brutal Doom with whatever level .WADs I can get my hands on.

Why Brutal Doom?

Because it’s fucking awesome

Now you have me curious.

Wiki:

Brutal Doom adds many gameplay features, such as blood splattering, allied Marines, an updated particle system, the ability to drive vehicles such as tanks,[3][4][5] stealth kills, headshots, and a host of “Mortal Kombat-esque fatality animations.”[6][7] Enemy AI has been revamped, with most enemies gaining new attacks and behaviours.[7]

The mod includes new and updated guns, such as a flamethrower, the demonic Unmaker, assault shotguns, new rifle types, a grenade launcher and even allows the player to equip enemy weapons in the form of Revenant missiles or a Mancubus’ flame cannon.[8] Weapon behavior is also changed, with a fully working reload system for most guns alongside weapon recoil and iron sights.

How can Doom have headshots? Does that mean you can aim up and down in Brutal doom?

So I loaded Brutal Doom, which on its own seems great, but how do you load it with other WADs, such as that nameless one up there?

Brutal Doom is, let’s say, divisive. It’s very popular for a contingent of players, but it’s lambasted by the more purist or classic players. For example, the most famous Doom YouTuber, Decino, played it when he reached 100k subscribers… as a joke promise (if one day I reach 100k subscriber, I will stream Brutal Doom!).

The idea of glory kills of Doom 16/Eternal Doom was inspired by Brutal Doom.

I do it old school using GZDoom.

Unzip all WADs into GZDOOM directory. This should include doom1 and doom2 wads, brutal doom was, and anything else you want to play.

Fire up Doom 2 by dragging just the brutal doom WAD into the gzdoom exe. Choose doom 2 from dialogue. Done.

To play other mods with BD, ctrl select them, drag onto GZDOOM exe

[multi-edits: fuck spell check on phone]

And Prodeus is basically Brutal Doom in a 3D-engine, which is why I love it so much. Loud, stupid, gloriously over-the-top.

OHHH, so you multi-select the brutal doom file and the wad then drag it onto the EXE. Got it. Thank you!