Doom Eternal - Hell on Earth Returns

I just drowned in lava and gave the T2 thumbs up as I died. Perfect.

There’s been a bit of a Down on Glory Kills vibe in here lately in which I myself played a part. So I’d like to offer a counterpoint: they’re awesome.

This game is fucking excellent. My only wish is that I could cram in more glory kills. I’m not sure I’ve enjoyed anything more than pulling out a Arachnodemon’s grenade from his own pack and shoving down his throat and watching him panic before he explodes in my entire life.

This game’s pretty hard with my atrophying twitch skills, but I’m loving it anyway.

(runs like a dream on my ancient 2gig 1050, too, which is a nice bonus)

Yeah, I love them, mostly because they give me a breather in the action, but also it’s nice to be low on health and then burst a Cacodemon open and have health to spare, baby!

You guys are probably way ahead of me now. The second level is really hard. I died about 50 times in the shootout after you get the double dash ability. Then I died a dozen times after I got the Plasma rifle last night. This game is super tough!

For my first perk I got the ability where time slows down when I get close to death. It’s neat, and it’s saved me a few times, but usually I still die. I think next time I’m going to pick the perk where monsters stay staggered for longer. I think if I had staggered monsters close by that I could wait to disembowel might help me in the arena battles.

Glory kills pass the “makes me giggle while playing” test. That’s a short list of games.

I mean to to mention this earlier, but I find this game to be much more challenging than the first one, which I just played on default diffculty into the end-game without too much of a challenge. Around level 2 I went down to the lowest baby difficulty and I’m still feeling very challenged, dying (using extra lives) in several very tough fights swarming with powerful enemies. It’s kind of perfect, right where I’m at, honestly. I still feel like I fail if I don’t use all my tools as soon as they recharge, swap my weapons for the right enemy type, that sort of thing. I’m a little worried I have nowhere to go from here difficulty wise, though, and I only just started mission 5 last night.

Same for me! And this too:

After Doom 2016 I cranked this up to Ultra Violence and man, it’s crazy. Juggling the weapons, mods, frag grenades, flame belch, blood punch, chainsaw, dash, double jump, environmental stuff, staggers and enemy attacks in real-time is a lot for my slow brain. I’m slowly building muscle memory but every time I get a new weapon or mod, it’s back to forgetting stuff again when things heat up. “Damn, I haven’t used flame belch yet”, “Damn, I need my shotgun grenade for this guy”, “Damn, my chainsaw!”, “Damn, I forgot frag grenades”, “ARGH!”.

I ran into an issue last night where I found the space where I suspected the Slayer Key to be but… it wasn’t there. Apparently if you have a Cheat Code enabled, it doesn’t appear, but I didn’t have one enabled so it seemed like an annoying bug (because I checked afterwards and it was the right spot for it). Gotta fight my way through the level again now to reach it. And the levels are massive! Good practice though for that muscle memory…

I’m really getting into a groove with this game. It took me a while to fall into the combat rhythm here, since it’s different from DOOM 2016’s, but now I’m making great headway and don’t feel like I’m constantly a step behind like I did when I first started.

I love these massive arena fights where wave after wave of the tougher enemies will spawn, and I’m forced to replay a few times in order to memorize and utilize every bit of armor, health, ammo, and gas on the map. I also get great pleasure after completing one of these big fights and looking at the map and seeing that I painted every square inch of that arena green, due to my constant running and vaulting from one end of the map to the other, using every ledge, boost pad, or swing-pipe along the way.

I’m not sure where exactly I left off, but I’m halfway through collecting keys in the Super Gore Nest map.

Of all the enemies in the game that do their best to screw me over, I think the Whiplash demon (snake thing) is easily the most frustrating for me so far. Not frustrating in a bad way, but they always seem to end up right behind me, whipping me to death from halfway across the map.

Freeze grenade those slithery f*ckers then let 'em have it!

I still wet my pants when I see a Hell Knight. Aggressive mofos.

Just reforged the crucible sword. Sooo much fun.

Goddamn fucking Marauder is a bitch and a half.

They suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I played 2016 on Hurt Me Plenty and wished I’d cranked it up to UV so this time I’ve started at UV. It’s tough but I’ve found it a very welcome challenge where I have to constantly think on my feet. The game ramps up quicker and has more moving parts so it feels tougher to start with than 2016 but the difficulty bump from Hurt Me Plenty to UV feels about right from my experience. I think if you’re cutting your teeth on UV you’ll be prepared for it here krok!

Oh and in other news I went back for the Slayer Gate and did it first time. Was down to my last life after missing several rushing through the level.

Show off.

Yeah, I don’t think you need to wait to do the Slayer Gates. They’re like the bonus levels from the original game. They’re tough, but winnable. Just don’t get cornered.

I had the same experience in Doom 2016, so I stuck with Ultra Violence in Eternal as well. But yes, progress is pretty slow. But it is satisfying when I do eventually get through.

Since I don’t have Eternal yet and withe the talk about DOOM 2016 I’m getting an itch to play that!

I’m surprised at how often I’m dying because of falling lava. Yes, the game takes some health away and puts you somewhere “safe”, but when that safe place is usually full of dangerous enemies that I jump away from, I usually end up back in the lava repeatedly until I die.

The Marauder.

Fucking hell.

Finished the game a few days ago and started a new one. Going slower, slightly different build, using the regular grenade instead of the cold one, and exploring more. The platforming is definitely easier, that lava section at the end of Exultia took me a good dozen efforts the first time, got it on one try this second time.