Doom Eternal - Hell on Earth Returns

Yeah, I did some button remapping and found it a little less annoying.

This game provides such a good time, I’ve been having an absolute ball with it for days on end. And whenever I have to finally tear myself away from it I’m always left wanting more.

First of all, I think I need to mention that I want my fucking dog. Where’s my dog? Doomguy and his former buddies, the Night Sentinals, had dogs (and loved them so much they put statues of them everywhere), and even the corrupted Night Sentinels (A.K.A. Marauders) still have their dogs. But where’s my dog, god dammit? Sure, I get to follow one green dog whenever I visit Exultia, but until I can recruit him and team up I won’t be satisfied.

We better get dog companions in the DLC.

As for the rest of the game, I love the artwork and look of all the Argent locations. The look of the fading white brick with platinum/silver inlay everywhere, and the overall architecture and design is very reminiscent of several D3 maps released since Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls. I just love the look. The rest of the game looks good too, well, except for Earth, it just looks like any other junky setting in a video game, but so far the Argent maps are my favorite (with the science & space labs being my second favorite, because those and hell are always what what really make me feel like I’m playing an actual DOOM game).

Anyway, I’ve spent the last couple days replaying all the earlier maps, making sure to 100% them and unlock all the upgrades on my Castle DOOMship as much as I can, because I’m about to start map 10 and the game is telling me there won’t be any coming back for them after doing so.

The Marauders don’t bug me as much as they first did, as long as I have room to actually fight them. The biggest problem I had with the first encounter was the feeling that I just couldn’t get away from the fucking thing, but like all things DOOM Eternal, persistence, repetition, and muscle memory made the best practice for me. They still kill me, but not 100 times in a row any more, and usually when I just don’t expect them. When I have room to get away from them they become much more manageable.

Anyway, these are just my scattered random thoughts.

I can’t really afford this game yet. But from what I’m reading, I should fire up Doom 2016 again.

I know a box quote when I read one. :smile:

Ha ha, you’re reading Doom lore!

I didn’t realize those were dogs the marauders summoned. I thought they were some kind of orange ghost panthers.

That’s actually not correct. You can definitely go back. It’s just that you have to play through that last bit all in one whack before going back to Castle Mission Select.

Does anyone know whether there’s any incentive to play master levels? Actually, what even are master levels? I accidentally jumped into one but then discovered I was just replaying a previous mission, so I was all, like, “never mind” and then I quit out and went back into the regular game progression.

-Tom

That is my thought too. I’m kinda hooked on Kingdom Rush right now but plan to play Doom 2016.

No incentive other than the pleasure of playing them. As you say they are literally the same old levels following the same plot beats. The only difference is you’ll be fighting a tougher menagerie of enemies and a lot more of them. I don’t think you’re intended to play these without having beaten the game.

Not quite sure why they didn’t just go the whole hog on this one and make it into a New Game+ sorta deal.

I am one measly Praetor suit point away from finding all collectibles and unlockables. Unfortunately this one last secret is somewhere in the Urdak map, and I can’t load that map because the game crashes when I try. I finished the map perfectly fine on my first attempt a few days ago (when I initially completed the campaign), but now this particular map won’t load at all for subsequent replays. So until this is patched I guess I’ll have to settle for 99.999% completion.

Except for this issue the game has been a blast. I have no interest in the asymmetric multiplayer, which is too bad because I like a lot of the costumes and weapon skins I’ve unlocked, so I guess now I’m just waiting for more master levels and future expansions/DLC.

I’ve been making excuses to go through all the maps again on harder difficulties, but as soon as I hit any map with a Marauder I just get obliterated on anything tougher than Nightmare. I guess this is why the cheat codes exist, but because I can’t just toggle them on and off for this one mob I’m not interested in using them. I do fine against them on Ultra Violence, but there’s still a lot of room for improvement. If I were playing on PC I don’t think I’d have this much of an issue because I would be able to keep him stun-locked, but you can’t switch to all the weapons fast enough on Xbox to make that viable.

Just use the lock-on rocket launcher. Lock him in, then wait for your opening and fire off 2 bursts without pause. Gibs him every time.

I had to stop doing that early on because he’s pretty good about closing the gap between us and I kept blowing myself up. Now that I’m a lot more comfortable with his move set I should try again, and I should have less of a problem predicting and reacting to what he’s doing and where he’s going.

Is the general consensus here that this is an improvement over Doom 2016?

Sounds a bit more like great shooting bogged down by too many upgrades & collectibles. I’ll bite when it’s cheaper I think.

I don’t agree with this sentiment. It’s not like there are tons more stuff going on here than the previous game. You have more things to get excited about when you take the time to explore (like, not just toys but now also records and cheat codes), but it’s still Suit upgrades, Weapon Mods, and Runes. Bogged down is something this game is certainly not. It might be too fast, sometimes.

Is that stuff skippable, say on easier difficulties? Or crucial for cool upgrades?

I still haven’t finished the second level yet. This starts off much harder on Ultra-Violence than Doom 2016, I think. One big, big change is that you have to use the chainsaw to get ammo in this one. I never had to do that on Ultra-Violence in Doom 2016.

It’s skippable on easy difficulties (or even harder ones, I guess). It’s not like they make you do more damage or anything, and there are plenty of suit upgrade points, weapon upgrade points (earned through gameplay anyway now), runes and the like that you’ll get most of the stuff you really want anyway, casually. Exploration would be important for completionists, but not otherwise required.

That sounds pretty good. $50 still too steep for me these days though.

Yeah, certainly if the price point (and about 15 hours of gameplay, I think, is what you get so that’s not great return, imo) is a little rich for your blood right now, do what is best. I just hate to think someone isn’t picking up Doom Eternal because of any incorrect assumptions though!

DOOM 2016 has a more cohesive world setting, in that one map leads directly to the next and that one to the next. You feel like you’re moving from one side of one giant facility to the other, and then off to Hell. While DOOM Eternal feels much more fragmented in this regard because there’s a hub map and you mostly return to the hub between map levels. But the trade off is that DOOM Eternal has a whole lot more map and setting variety because of the different locations you visit in different realms and worlds, rather than just the Martian Base / Hell binary that is DOOM 2016 (which I adore, don’t get me wrong).

As for combat, they feel quite different because the pace is faster in Eternal because of the reliance on getting ammo off enemies, and the need to time certain types of kills with your need for a reload. It took a day or so for me to find my groove, with my early hours spent constantly forgetting to chainsaw baddies to get ammo.

But it’s partially due to this shortage of ammo that makes DOOM Eternal much better at forcing players to utilize ALL the weapons in their arsenal, instead of just sticking with one for most of the game (such as the combat shotgun in DOOM 2016).

As for all the different upgrades, they can seem a little unwieldy at first, because boy there’s a lot to upgrade if you break it all down, but everything you do in the game progresses your character in one way or another. Simply clearing maps and ignoring secrets and such will still get you upgrade points by just killing demons on each map. The upgrades don’t get in the way, and they never feel tedious or grindy. You might play through a map a couple times because you won’t want to miss something, but that’s optional, and fun, so it’s not a big deal.

Oh, and platforming is hit or miss for some people. I enjoyed it, but I enjoy Mario games so I was in my element.

I’d ignore Alistair since he hasn’t played it.

Nice video examining the combat.