Doom Eternal - Hell on Earth Returns

I’m kind of relieved about this delay! So much other stuff I’m playing now anyway, and want to play.

::wallet heaves a sigh of relief::

Petition to change thread title to Raze Hell.

Bot just day one for me, I plan on pre-ordering the deluxe digital edition.

Too much talking in this trailer.

The actual trailer starts at 1:16.

Doom Guy looks like he stepped out of a Gears of War game, with his stumpy legs and massive biceps.

Didn’t play the 2016 one? You should.

I totally did, loved that game. I don’t recall Doom Guy looking quite that roided up.

Seems like a lot more plot in this one, what with heaven and angels etc.

Yea, if it turns out even 1/10th as storied up as the shitty Wolfenstein New Order series of games (Old Blood was good, everything else is rancid garbage) they’ll have completely ruined this game too.

Hopefully it’ll be all about the gameplay, like Doom 2016, the best single player first person shooter in four hundred years.

Ten bucks says at the end of the game Doom Guy takes a portal that ends up in Tristan, as a familiar voice says, “Stay awhile, and listen!”

I’ll take that action.

Huh, and here I kept feeling like I was the only one who thought the story in those made the experience worse than it could have been.

There is plenty of room in the world for two crazy people! Kidding…to each their own . I loved the crazy stories.

All of this DOOMing reminds me of the abject batshit insanity of the 90s Doom novels which immediately began trickling in some weird religious debates, moved onto Mormons as the last vanguard of humanity, and eventually wound up with two books worth of mind-bending space opera nonsense that revealed, amongst other things, that the entire DOOM war was taking place between two sects of immortal, un-evolving alien scholars locked in an eternal debate about literary realism vs. deconstructionism. I cannot stress how utterly bizarre those novels are.

I’m in.

Oh, I like that.

What turned you off of the storylines in those games? I thought they were a bit convoluted but otherwise a pretty solid “plucky resistance against overwhelming odds” sort of thing.

Every time a cut scene started the game was paused and I had to watch a movie I didn’t want to watch instead of playing the game I paid money for. It was just as bad as those shitty mobile games that rip you out of the game and force you to watch a full screen ad before allowing you to continue.

I prefer to actually play my shooters, not watch exploitative melodrama.

And even though you could skip some stuff, the game would force you to take part in some ways, like refusing to continue until you personally decided which good guy in your squad should get tortured and mutilated by the SS.