Doom Eternal - Hell on Earth Returns

Fair enough. While I didn’t mind, or even liked some of, the story stuff, there was quite a lot of it and a lot of long cutscenes for sure.

It’s happenin’ Caroline.
Another cut scene.
These talkin’ Nazis. So much talkin’.
They fought a war so they could talk at us. And then murder us.
Give me your strength, I’m nothin’ but a bag of meat in a suit.
Just help me watch one more.
Be mah angel one last time.

Thanks for linking this. Reading the Wikipedia plot synopsis was interesting

While the novelizations of Wing Commander and The Dig were occasionally nearly good and at least some of the Baldur’s Gate books neared competent, the Doom novels will always be my favorite wholly unnecessary videogame adaptations.

Bravo.

I liked Wolfenstein: New Order? Played it through twice. Old Blood I grew bored off well before the end…

Old Blood, New Order and New Colossus were good. Youngblood is crap.

That headline is writing a lot of checks that I hope the game can actually cash.

Test:

Edit: I like the look of the new platforming with the additional mobility.

(Check out that early appearance by Darth Malak)

Bulletstorm sucked. DOOM 2016 is a masterpiece. I don’t need comparisons to Bulletstorm, PC Gamer.

Oh man, Bulletstorm was so awesome!! I am getting all shivery. Also, I hope the flame belch ability also has a corresponding Barney Gumbel-esque sound effect.

I don’t know that I want that platforming crap in my DOOM. Maybe if it’s optional, for secrets.

It was clarified they (platforming sections) are not designed to require precision, they are just small moments to break up the run/gun gameplay a little - it didn’t sound like anything they wanted to use to “challenge” anyone.

It also sounds like this is around 22 hours long, which they claim is twice the length of the first (I swear the first game was longer than 11 hours, but perhaps not). So I think it’s probably going to be wise to mix up the gameplay here and there, or no one will have the enthusiasm to actually see it through.

The only criticism I’ve seen of the game so far is that it’s so action-packed and fun that they got exhausted playing it. Sounds like it doesn’t have many periods of exploration or narrative (heh) to break up the ultraviolence.

Maybe periodic nap time breaks too. Us old dudes can get so tired playing our video games.

Let’s just say I hope we can rename the intro video files because I generally can only play games like this in 15 minute increments so I don’t want to have to see the Bethesda logo upwards of 88 times. :)

I’m the same way re: 15 minute increments. But I always hope the opposite on the logos. I hope they do a good enough job with the logos and unskippable intros that I actually enjoy spending part of my 15 minutes with them each time.

Edit: For example, I recently finish Jedi Fallen Order. I loved watching this 40 seconds every time.

I love the EA logo, where I adjust my amplifier volume knob behind my monitor. Then the Lucasfilm logo and the flute really get me in the mood. And then the Jedi Fallen Order logo comes on at the 30 second mark accompanied by the deep bass if I adjusted the volume correctly during the EA logo.

This was a kick for me - I still remember being excited about Doom 2’s new enemies, like the Archvile, and seeing these same demons get the Doom Eternal treatment is rad.

The new demons all look crazy/awesome, too. I am super pumped to get this one.

Really interesting - I enjoyed the way the game director presented here. Everything (forgiving the odd looking addition of the tentacle hallways) sold me hard.

This isn’t something I was worried about, the previous game had nothing like this either, but it’s still good to get confirmation.