Doom Eternal - Hell on Earth Returns

It’s a single-player first-person game, only cosmetics you could even see are weapon skins.

Not that that would have stopped Bethesda or Ubisoft etc.

Well they said there’s a hub in this game, so maybe you could have a mirror to try on fuzzy hats in front of.

Well, there IS multiplayer though, and I think the first game’s multiplayer was fairly popular, so in hindsight I can see it being something they pull the trigger on. I’m glad they aren’t, though.

If by the first one you mean DOOM '93, then yes. DOOM 2016 multiplayer was a dud.

You know this is the one I meant, of course, and regardless of it’s popularity (or lack thereof), there was always a possibility they would try their hand at CS:GOing the multiplayer side of this. So it’s good they are not!

Yup. Rage 2 has them. So dumb.

You could sell demon skins!

Kinda like how there used to be those Doom Barney mods.

Are there glory kill cutscenes every 8 seconds in this one too?

I hope so!

I guess if you don’t like them you don’t have to do them, but it’s the best way to recover resources. And they are very fast.

You do need to do them, they’re part of the core gameplay loop. Maybe you can skip on easy mode. Id supposedly added a lot more though, so they should be less repetitive.

I hope somebody mods them out. That was by far the worst part of Doom 2016.

I wondered. I did them whenever I could, since it makes enemies drop the goods, and it felt like a moment to catch my breath from the action at the same time - just a second or two while they were animating where I could relax for a bit.

Yeah, you need the health and ammo on higher difficulties, so they really are not optional.

I played on the difficulty below Nightmare, and I enjoyed doing the glory kills all the time, so I’m not sure if it’s possible or not to get by without them, but I can tell you I always kept forgetting to bring out my chainsaw to do those types of kills which is the only way to get extra ammo. But you know what, I didn’t need to do them, it turns out. Even though I kept forgetting to do the chainsaw kill, I was mostly fine on ammo. It just meant I had to switch weapons when I ran out of ammo for any particular weapon. There was enough weapon pickups in the level that usually after a fight, I was mostly stocked up again.

(Every once in a while, I did remember to do it, but it was rare).

The glorykilling is great. It turns combat into a punctuated rhythm game, and just like @Scotch_Lufkin said above, they gave me a moment to stop holding my breath and actually breathe for a bit.

And the few new animations I’ve seen so far just look… well… glorious!

From the developer interviews I’ve seen, most players didn’t switch weapons much in DOOM 2016, the super shotgun was a key that opened every lock and they want to change that in 2020. I would expect ammo to be much scarcer and certain weapons to work better against specific enemies. They talked a lot about 2020 being a fast-faced brutal puzzle game on higher difficulties.

I’m guilty of relying on shotgun whenever possible. But I do this in every game, DOOM 2016 just gave me the best shotgun (with mods) combat ever to indulge.

All of this. I blame Doom 2, ironically.

Usual reminder that not everything needs to be balanced. I don’t remember the Doom 2016 super shotgun so I don’t really care if they change it. But don’t let any modern game designers near Doom 2.

I never got tired of glory kills. Forcing players to be aggressive with their movement was so smart. And I liked that it let me play a bit sloppy since I could keep my health up. I played through on Hurt Me Plenty difficulty.