Dragon Age 4 - Before and after GaaS

I would guess it was going to be closer to Fallout 76 than Fallout 4, for example. Now it will be more like a traditional RPG and I for one am relieved.

You (and I) think that, but I guess it depends - did the last DA game (Inquisition) do okay? Or did it struggle to make projected sales goals? If Anthem had really taken off, making this into another (fantasy version of Anthem set in Dragon Age’s world) GaaS would be very attractive. I’m glad they didn’t go that way, though.

I feel like this “change” isn’t going to change that core gameplay was designed for a multiplayer GaaS game though.

C’mon - It’ll be a cool single player RPG like Cyberp… never mind.

Maybe it will have invasions. :)

I don’t know why we assume multiple player RPG games suck. I mean Divinity are MP RPGS, and they’re not some weird MMO lite open world game nor whatever GAAS means. And before that some of the NWN games did it too.

Well, I don’t think it’s the idea of a NWN or Icewind Dale type multiplayer that people are afraid of, it’s precisely that MMO-lite type ideas. I’m sure people would be fine with Icewind Dale type multiplayer. I know that game was 100x more fun for me to play through with friends than when I tried it by myself. And I’m a single player guy.

Well, two things. One, which is more relevant, is that it’s coming top down from EA because they think multiplayer increases the stickiness of games and it introduces additional revenue streams, not internally because they want to do a game that does cool multiplayer stuff.

The second, for my part…I just always would rather have those resources put into singleplayer content because multiplayer is not something I’m going to get to do and in most forms, not something I’d want to do. And it can meaningfully alter the design in a way that hurts singleplayer. Divinity isn’t particularly egregious, but not everyone wants to run multiple player characters, for example. NWN was worse, because it adapted D&D in a way that didn’t assume that you were a single character with a really stupid and minimally controllable henchman (two in the expansions) if any (most modules did not have henchmen, much less two at a time). but I nearly always was. D&D was designed for a 4+ person party. So, y’know. Problems.

Oh I remember being chased of gaming board because Single Player gamers would go after me for trying to take their resources and use them for the evils of MP. These days the issue is reversed. It really should be a balance I think.

Anthem’s problem wasn’t that it was MP. I just see no way anyone can claim that. For an MP game, it just wasn’t right, with a lot of time wasted climbing into suit animations, sloth walking through hubs and just constant disruptions to getting to the game play that mostly worked… and we’re not even addressing the crap loot system which was not improved by playing alone.

A good multiple RPG does not have to be an MMO, games as a service exploit approach. That’s the main point, and some of these articles are writing their response as if that’s our only choice, SP or some hellish MMO like release when there are several gradients in between those options… and like Anthem, I don’t believe the tacked on MP is the reason the other games were not as well received as the earlier ones. I don’t think resources has anything do with it either. Their visions for those games… not great.

It wasn’t solely that it was MP, but it really, really didn’t want you playing it solo, to the point where if you tried to go out by yourself and had to afk for any reason you’d get booted from your solo game for idling and lose all mission progress, which is 100% what killed any interest I had in giving it any more of my time.

Haha, well yeah that’s really dumb.

As someone who played it MP during beta, I can assure you it didn’t want you to play MP either. It was just not good. Sometimes a game and the ideas behind it are just… lacking. Anthem didn’t work for a lot of reasons. Hopefully they learned from some of them.

Just to help manage expectations for the upcoming EA Play event later in July - neither Dragon Age 4 nor the next Mass Effect will be shown.

Easy to explain.

Every worthwhile studio EA buys withers and dies.

Not sure what this says about the games development, but I suspect nothing good…

“Mutually agreed?”

Yeah, that stuck out to me too. There’s a tale there.

There is no more Bioware, it’s just EA Edmonton.

Exactly, which is why I popped into this thread to see what caused it to come back to life.

That does not sound good at all. Hate to speculate, but that’s not the kind of press release you see when someone decides to leave of their own accord.

This could be potentially a lot of things, many of which are not directly tied to the game itself.

But, yes, it’s not helpful. Unless it is.