Dragon Age: Inquisition

I really loved DAI in 11/2014 but I cant’ be arsed to care after making Witcher 3.

How much does the Descent and this cost?

No price announced on Trespasser, but The Descent DLC is $14.99

Since this is free on EA Access I gave this a try last night.

This is really going to be a rough transition coming from Witcher 3. Apparently the character I created back in the early access demo was a lady who looks really old and ugly. What a weird decision I made back then. But then I met some of my companions, and they are also really ugly. I might have to restart from the beginning just so that everyone in the story isn’t so butt-ugly.

The fights against common enemies at the start go on for way too long considering these are presumably the weakest enemies in the game, and yet they have a ton of hit points and take a long time to take down by my mage. The world itself is pretty good looking. Quite a step up from Dragon Age 1 and Mass Effect 3.

I might have to bench this for a while. Coming in straight from Witcher 3 seems unfair to this game.

Yes it is. Considering that Witcher 1 completely ruined Jade Empire for me, I would advise you to wait a bit before playing Inquisition. ;)

I played inquisition just before the W3 and liked it a lot. Not sure what would’ve happened if I reversed that. The world is really nice to explore and if you like typical Bioware story and characters you’ll probably like this. I didn’t think that combat was that great - from what I remember I think DA:Origins did combat the best.

Finally gotten around to playing this (Destiny addiction is over) and I’m having a ball. The start is brutally slow, but once the ball is rolling it’s a great ride. I think I’m about half way through or so, and I’m glad a pushed past the slow start.

It’s quite the fun game. There are quibbles I have with it, but overall an enjoyable experience (far better than 2 for me, not as fun as Origins)

Yeah, 2 was the weakest, but I am enjoying Inquisition at least as much as Origins. It really feels like you are playing through some of those old fantasy novel trilogies that I liked so much as a kid (Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, etc…). Great fun!

(I hear ya on the quibbles, but I’m having to much fun to care about the silliness that pervades this game)

I have Inquisition… having a really hard time getting through 2 though to get to it. I can’t even remember what the main quest… so board with the repeat maps.

I played through Origins, should I go straight to Inquisition or would I be better off playing 2 first?

Inquisition has way more narrative connection to 2 than Origins, and there’s some good writing and characters in the first and second acts. Shame about most of the rest of the game and act 3. Play on Easy and try to focus on story and it’s maybe worth it.

There are definitely some very direct ties to DA2 in Inquisition, but I’m quite sure you can follow the story having not played 2. It’s not like Mass Effect where it is a direct sequel, so I would say that unless you are a completioninst just skip over 2 and play Inquisition.

I was very confused at the beginning of Inquisition before I stopped playing. I had no idea if I was supposed to be that confused, and more would be revealed, or if I was supposed to know more about these characters and world. Coming from Origins, I was completely in the dark, especially since it’s been so long.

Yeah, I’d agree with merryprankster. If you picked up 2 and like it, go ahead and finish. It’s been said before, but the best way to view DA2 is imho as a story by Varric with him as an unreliable narrator. If it’s not clicking for you, however, I’d say don’t bother and go straight to Inquisition. There’s plenty of opportunity to get backstory as you go for anything relevant (and a lot of what isn’t, tbh).

I suspect the time between games would be the biggest deal in that situation. But to answer the question, your character is supposed to be confused - the protagonist went through something that they don’t remember.

edit - Oh, and if anyone is a “skip the cut scenes” kind of player, I’d steer clear of the game altogether.

Inquisition definitely starts with a “what the hell just happened” kinda story but it is revealed if you keep playing. Also, get out of the Hinterlands and get the story moving ASAP! Not sure why they had the story bottom out like that right at the start, but it’s worth pushing through that first aimless few hours.

Dan is bang on about the cut scenes too.

I definitely never skip cutscenes unless they are boring. Gameplay-wise what bothered me the most about the start of Inquisition is that there are sooooo many trash monsters, and each one takes way too long to kill. It made me question whether I started with the right type of character (I tried to recreate the mage I played in Origins as much as I could recall). If it takes about 30 seconds to kill each low level monster at the beginning of the game, maybe I was doing something wrong.

I am playing a mage too, and I was kinda meh on my damage output until I got my specialization (now I’m a boss!). I also generally play Dragon Age games on easy since the combat is kinda meh in general (at least on console, I’ve heard the tactical stuff is fun on PC). It seems the early mage stuff is more about status than straight damage, and Cassandra was doing most of the killing while I froze/panicked things.

How far did you get Rock8? I was about 12 hours in before things started to pick up, but I fuddled about in the Hinterlands way too long.

A big thing to deal with in DAI are resistances: some enemies are highly resistant to one kind of magic or another, and you (one of my quibbles) can’t switch gear (or mapped spells) in the middle of a fight to accommodate that (staves were the most notable items that I would want to switch out). Rather, you have to run away, re-equip, and then rejoin battle. If you go into your tactical mode and highlight an enemy, it will tell you their resistances. iirc, the enemies early on frequently have resistance to fire, and fire spells and fire-boosted staves are some of the most common early weapons that a mage will have.

But regardless, you’re kinda underpowered to begin with and those enemies will still take a little time to bring down. By mid-game, grunts (which are of course more powerful than the fodder you start out against) go down pretty quickly. That said, you’ll likely never get the “I just stuck you with a blade so you should be collapsing dead on the ground” kind of visceral experience unless you play as a crit-happy rogue assassin with all kinds of stacking bonuses to chance and damage.

As a mage, you do get to the point that you’re dropping massive damage on opponents, and getting the specialization certainly helps with that.

Oh, and yeah - leave much of the Hinterlands for later (you can normally return to areas to finish out quests, etc.).

Yeah, the resistances are a pain. Generally my solution was to shrug and let Cassandra whip some butt. :)

I think my biggest problem with Inquisition were the interminably long load times. That became the biggest barrier to me for a repeat play through once I’d beaten the game for the first time.