Dragon Commander, from Larian (TBS/RPG?)

The download shrunk itself to around 4.7 gig and finsihed, but I had no time to play before work.

I saw this over on the D:OS kickstarter page:

Free upgrade to everyone who backed a tier that gave them a copy of Dragon Commander. Pretty awesome of them! :)

Messed around a bit, the RTS portion is simple yet fun, once you are in battle there are spots on the rts map you can capture and build on then you pretty much duke it out till the enemy is gone. So consider it a RTS “lite” game. But there is tons of depth with the research system as it had multiple pages of stuff, and then there was also the dragon upgrades. On the turn based map you build units, build facilities , do research, play map cards (more gold for x number of turns in a territory) and capture territory zones.

Overall I am really surprised how fun it is. Nothing from the flagship / chatting with advisors is in beta, at least not that I could find. The game seems like the mix of really good ideas from other games , and they have at least from what I’ve played , made a fun game here that isn’t getting very much publicity.

I’ve also bought it thanks to lordkosc’s comments and a few videos I’ve seen recently. What I’ve seen in the videos kind of reminded me of Space Rangers 2’s multiple genres in a game and Sacrifice’s battles. Could be wishful thinking, downloading the beta at the moment.

I just bought this as well, and first off, let me warn you that its Multiplayer only! You can assign AI to fill your opponents roles, but thats it!

The turn based part is really neat, but the combat itself, is…well, in a word, horrible. For some reason i was unable to attack some of the opponents. In my battle there was 4 armies for some reason as well, and I had no idea if I was allied with some of them. The dragon part was really poorly implemented as well, and the RTS part itself looked like a cheap fantast version of Dune 2000, and not in a flattering way. The animations were crude, the unit graphics just werent there, and they had no AI at all.

i realize this is beta, but MAN they have some cleaning up to do if they want this to be good. So sad I wasted 39 bucks on this :-(

Single player won’t be out till release, and thats the meaty focus from what I’ve seen in the videos. And it is still beta, so expect some patches for unit AI. I like the dragon part myself. Sad you didn’t like it Razgon. :(

Steam beta keys are being given away here: http://na.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/dragon-commander-closed-beta-key-giveaway

I haven’t tried the beta yet but after the brief process outlined in the link, I am downloading the game via Steam without issue.

Thanks for the link!

Well, this game is out today and I’m curious how good the game is, with the full campaign in it.

The RTS was a major letdown for me, and basically is about grabbing the first land as quickly as possible, otherwise you’ve lost. Thats it - no real strategy involved other than rush rush rush, something I hate in RTS’s. Dragons are just reskinned buffs as well, thats pretty much it.

The campaign on the other hand, has me intrigued and which is why I’ll install it as soon as I came home!

Installing now, should be done by tonight.

Campaign looks interesting to me too but waiting on reviews as I’m not a big rts fan.

I’m curious too.

This game is a hot mess. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

-Tom

So it’s very much a Larian game?

Sweet. I am on my way to Jack in the Box to pick up a copy along with a large coke. Or wait, was that the one that was the “bad one”?

I haven’t played dragon commander, but i think we can be certain there is more horse in anything you buy from Jack in the Box than is present in this game.

Aw man, it’s been years since I’ve had Jack in the Box.

I didn’t get to play much, other than for the first time in many years, I had an extremely choppy intro to watch with sound skipping and everything. Then the talking to characters began, and that was choppy as well.

There was an update already though, so I guess they fixed some stuff fast.

Was this the one that they had the kickstarter for? The one where you had two people in your group that represented some kind of godly powers? Or is that a different game they are still working on?

Divinity; Sin was the kickstarter.

Backers above a certain tier got Dragon Commander for free, on either GOG, Steam or Vault.

It’s the divine divinity game they Kickstarted. This one was also a reward at certain support tiers.

Wendelius