Dragonlance Animated Film

http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/

Evidently, it is really in the works this time. I read on gamingreport.com that Lucy Lawless has already done some of the voiceover for a character.

I am glad it is animated and not live. Now they will just butcher it less.

Fall 2007. Based on Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

Please don’t fuck it up, please don’t fuck it up, please don’t fuck it up.

Say what you want about roleplaying novels as a whole, but the Dragonlance core trilogies (Chronicles and Legends) are really good, and stand up to time as well. I can still read and enjoy them.

Does this help or hurt?

The screenplay has been adapted by George Strayton, whose credits include “Cleopatria 2525”, “Xena: Warrior Princess” and “Hercules: The Legendary Journeys”.

Troy

oh man. but but but Weiss and Hickman are technical contacts on the film, I heard.

Ooh, a Dungeons and Dragons movie based on the worst book of the sextet. What could go wrong?

I shudder at the idea of re-reading the novels now, so maybe some changes to the animated film wouldnt be so bad…

I did like the books as a teen.

It seems they might be doing this 2-d rather than 3-d… good.

an amusing breakdown of the first book:
http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=3892

The books definitely do not stand up to time. Weis and Hickman’s writing is atrocious. The characters have nostalgia value but that’s about it.

I rarely re-read books, but a few years ago I re-read the 1st two trilogies in relatively short order. I don’t know if it was due to nostalgia or some other ethereal force, but I enjoyed them even after 15 or so years between readings.

As long as there is no character similar to Uni (a la the old animated D&D cartoon) that, in the 2007 iteration, sounds suspiciously like Jar-Jar Binks, I guess I will see it.

Don’t they have that annoying guy who stole stuff with the slingshot staff? Isn’t he basically the Jar-Jar.

Yeah, I hate that Kender fuck and his Hoopak

Bah, screw you guys. Go back to adjusting your monocles.

I’m totally looking forward to the movie.

Ok, then, how about the Xanth novels then?

how they’re going to get around the super-sexist naked chested servile nymphs all over the place will be interesting.

The Dark Elf Trilogy > Dragonlance

Oh no. Do not throw some Salvatore up in this piece.

The Kender sucked. End of story. The Gully Dwarves also sucked. Bupu needed a mercy bullet (or I guess a mercy magic missile).

Cool story does not mean that everything had to be good. Of course, I think some people just have a higher tolerance for “foil” characters (or actually, god forbid, enjoy them). For example, I also think R2D2 and C3P0 could be removed from Star Wars with little to no loss, and a fair bit of improvement.

Ok, I am going to get a lot of hate for this but…

R.A. Salvatore is a hack. You may not notice it in his first books. I did like the 6 dark elf books, although by the end of the last few books I was starting to see through his weak plot devices.

I went on to read more of his books, and the more I read the less I liked them. There is one book he wrote about an alternate world where there was a demon setting up armies to attack. It featured this guy who became a ranger named Night Bird and this other guy who spent time in a monastery learning to be some kind of super monk and how to use magic rocks. I made it to the end of the 2nd book and was disgusted with him by then. That was and will be the last book I ever will read by that guy.

Less hate than you would think, I wager.

Troy

I hate Salvatore