Dragon's Dogma

I think it will erase your current game. Not 100% sure.

OK, I’ll definitely try the DLC before I decide to give up. I just started doing some court trial.

Try turning HDR down to Low. It’s counter intuitive, but I remember on a stream one of the devs preferred that setting on low, so I tried it out and sure enough, the night-time lighting looks a LOT better.

One save. Have to copy your save out to store it and switch it back manually.

No idea what it does to pawns or if you can have multiple floating in the etherverse - probably not though (current pawn is synced).

I recently discovered that LCtrl and LAlt also work for this!

Thanks, I am googling it now. One save is stupid.
My main issue now is that I think playing a caster is boring. All I do is stand around watching a casting bar. I want to try a warrior which I hope is more fun however if it isn’t Id like to continue with my mage.

Apparently the save is in the steam / userdata / yoursteamid/367500 directory. I think Ill just zip up all that stuff and start a new game.

Just change vocations and start playing a warrior.

Or Mystic Knight.

Yeah, either way the game wants you to play as multiple vocations, why on Earth start a whole new game?

Id have to start over from scratch and my main pawn was a fighter. I also wanted to learn the ropes and not start with some higher level content.

Anyway, I did start over as a warrior and for anyone considering playing a mage, don’t unless you like watching casting bars. Warriors are far more interesting (I am sure striders would be too ) than mages.

Striders are pretty fun. I’m playing as a Magick Archer now and having a great time. I plan on trying Mystic Knight once I max my rank.

When I hit 45 I switched from Mystic Knight to Assassinand my pawn to a fighter. Man it is rough going back to having low level skills after mastering a vocation =) I can also voice my opinion that the game gets better post-game + DLC. Having a lot more challenging, fun fights now then I was before =)

I did warn you when you asked about mages, if they were fun to play ;-)

Honestly, I do love the game, but mages are simply no fun to be, even though they are awesome to have with you.

I apologize if this was answered before:

Since I’m starting a new character, all of the pawns from my friends list have gone way up in level. Is there any downside for a new char to take a couple of high level pawns? I know they’re free, but is there an XP penalty, or something else?

Yes, XP penalty is 1% per level difference, up to a cap of 25%.

On the other hand, if you adventure with lower level pawns you get similar XP bonus - and removing pawns will get you up to 95% extra XP!

edit:
Play with your pawn and one friend pawn: 25% extra
Play with just your pawn: 56% extra
Play with no pawn: 95% extra

Well I am only level 6 right now as a fighter and it is far more fun than the mage ever was. I am setting my main pawn to be a mage with the main trait of going after the weak guys (Mitigator I think) and then healing/buffing as the 2nd trait. Ill have to think about if I want to stay as a fighter in the long term or not. Its a shame you can’t keep using the skills you had in the past if you switched to a class that was incompatible.

In my first play through on the console I went strider to ranger to assassin. When I got Dark Arisen last year I tried a fighter. I decided to give the mage class a go for my PC run through. The game plays TOTALLY differently depending on which of the nine vocations you choose. Even a quick-swinging defensive fighter is much more different than playing a slow, powerful two-handed weapon warrior. In my first play through I wanted to try a caster class so I went from assassin to mage… and it was pretty horrible. I went from button mashing and up-close fighting to looking at a casting bar watching the action. I thought it was bad at the time since the gameplay contrasted so much from what I was used to, and I suffered for it. In my current game I am a vocation 10 sorcerer and I don’t want to switch! I love getting a High Bromide spell going while may pawns keep a chimera at bay, and once I’m able to kick off that meteor swarm I sit back and bask in the carnage. This game really does a nice job of ‘over doing’ class roles… mage classes are glass cannons and you can really feel it.

Yeah, I had High Bromide, but it takes forever to cast. By the time you do, combat is mostly over unless you are fighting a big dude. Then it is depressing when only 2 meteors hit it while the rest just rain down in the area. I found the fire wall spell much more effective most of the time, even high ingni was better most of the time.

They just need to drastically reduce casting times.

I killed my first dragon yesterday!

killing dragons…

I took a very long time, but it was not hard. I only had to try a second time changing my staff spells to ice base. Strangely, it feels less like a achievement than killing smaller creatures like gryphos. My PC had a ugly t-shirt, and it turned dragon-forged.

So I can literally say:

“I killed a dragon, and I only got this ragged dragonforged t-shirt for it.”

I went from Fighter to Magic Archer and that was a very fun transition.

I am really enjoying this game. I prefer the Pawn system over full co-op, but that may be because I am mostly a single-player focused person. Despite people’s frustrations with the vast landscape and long travel time I actually think that is what makes this game special. That gives this game an authentic LoTR feel, it forces preparations, and provides tension and risk on quests. This is also some of the best combat I have experienced in a realtime action RPG and hard difficulty continually tests me. I would love Capcom to work on a sequel to this.

-Todd

I have to admit the sprint stamina mod doesn’t quite do it for me. I can’t appreciate the world when I’m sprinting. But the slow-jog is painful too. They really blew it with the movement speed. Or maybe how it meshes with the world. It’s obviously difficult to tune given that I can’t even describe the problem. Heck, the Souls games use the same system at a superficial level. But the level design and pace are different.

The combat is a bit odd. It seems like I’m either steamrolling or suddenly dead. I’m trying to pay more attention to the real threats now. That seems to make it feel more fun and balanced.