Dragon's Dogma

The combination of a single portcrystal with the Eternal Ferrystone solved the biggest issues I had with the game when I played in the PS3. Now I can explore as far as I want and decide if I want to keep going when night falls or not. If I do, I just press on. If I don’t want to, I drop the portcrystal, ferrystone back to Cassardis, rest until morning, ferrystone back to portcrystal, get it back, press on. I really like having that option, especially with the limited gaming time I have.

I also learned to appreciate the way exploration, character speed, and stamina use come together. If you sprint to get somewhere faster, and you get ambushed, you start in a disadvantage, so it creates this risk/reward mechanic that, for me, works pretty well. It actually gets me into this “flow”, in which I’m always checking my surroundings, examining terrain for possible ambush spots, and combining small stretches of sprinting with this sense of tactical awareness. It is one of the things, for me, that adds to the sense of adventure that this game has.

You can do this? Huh, didn’t know you could dismiss your main.

Yup, Assassins have an augment that buffs them up when they’re solo too.

Went Strider to Magic Archer, a lot more fun with the new weapons I must say.

It seems my pawn sometimes picks the right buff for the fight, but other times it doesn’t. I guess it depends on the mob knowldge they have?

Ogres are really really annoying to fight in tight spots.

Yeah, pawns depend on mob knowledge to use the right buff. But they will learn from fights, which is pretty cool.

And yeah, the hardest fight I had so far in the game was exactly against an ogre in a tight spot (fairly early in the game, too). Second place is a surprise fight with a Chimera by nightfall. So good.

Man I’m really loving this. With a long weekend with the family away and two days off due to no heat at work I’ve put in almost 40 hours. The pawn system is pretty neat and i’ve enjoyed seeing other folks creations. Someone even used mine for a good while apparently as she came back with over 6k rift crystals!

I started out as a Fighter and once I maxed that out I moved to Assassin to get some better attack. I think once I finish that out I’ll either go Warrior or Strider for a bit. I really need to look at what each class offers since I ultimately want to go back to Fighter and want to pick up the more useful abilities.

Yeah, you just don’t call them back after they die. :)

What do you keep when you switch vocations? I know you keep stats, and if you have common skills you keep those. However, what else do you keep? How about core skills and augments?

Augments. Core skills if the vocation has those in common too.

You definitely keep the augments, which is like (imho) a main reason to switch vocations. So having your mage go all the way down the sorcerer line you get a augment to cast faster or use the warrior 20% more strength augment on your assassin and so on.

Core skills somewhat carry over. They depend on the weapon equipped. So if you have a lvl 10 vocation assasin, with all skills learned and you use daggers, you will have the double vault core skill on you lvl 1 vocation strider. Still the strider could have learned it on it’s own.

Huh, the griffin hunting quest was a bit of a pain in the ass. First stage is just outside of town, then the beast cutscenes itself away. Then I get a long-ass trek across the world to follow it, and then a cutscene-filled combat which kept interrupting my charged attacks. For example, after the long cutscene sequence along the outside, we get into the main arena and I think FINALLY, I CAN HIT THE MONSTER WITH MY SWORD. Charging up my attack, and then all of a sudden Bubba the wizard runs in and starts a cutscene and breaks my damn charge yet again.

Still really conflicted over this game. Overall I think I like it more than Fallout 4, simply because Dragon’s Dogma has good points and bad points while Fallout 4 (Currently, though mods will probably fix it) is basically just Gray Extruded Gaming Paste. I get pissed off at the cutscenes breaking up the fight constantly, but then I enjoy it when a pawn knocks the griffin down and I do two and a half health bars of damage to it with one bit slap to the face. It’s more memorable at least.

I just did a bunch of the DLC area and it was pretty fun. At one point I stumbled into an area with a large enemy and 2 magic throwing guys and the large guy 1 shotted me. I skipped that and moved on to other areas in Bitterback Island and cleared a bunch of areas. SOme of them were pretty tough. Early on in the cockatrice fight I lost 2 pawns without realizing it. The 3rd pawn stuck with me until the enemy had 1 dot left, so I had to clear that and then take down the entire health bar again. A little slow going but I did it.

I decdied to go back to the main quest. I just started stage 6 according to this list of main quests. Any idea about how long until I wrap the game up?

The bittersomething area is cool. I aventure myself there, and got lot of action and sweet loot.

At what level Mr Teiman? I want to explore there, but was thinking you have to be level 50 at least?

I covered a bunch of ground there at about level 30ish. Some areas were too tough so I left to go complete the main story missions.

What are the party compositions that people are using? I typically use 1 fighter type, one ranged / melee type, and two mages types.

I recently switched to 2 mages and that seems to work better for me too. I am playing on Hard and need the extra healing and buffing spells. I was a Fighter->Magic Archer. I used to keep a Strider type but when I changed vocations to Magic Archer I started filling out the 4th slot with a Fighter/Warrior vocation.

-Todd

My character is a fighter who is picking up some assassin skills. My main pawn is a pure mage. I fill that in with a bow type and another melee type.

I finally found an ENB preset that I think is worth using. It’s in beta and can be found here. Who knows if it is a safe site.

Without ENB

With ENB

Without ENB

With ENB

With ENB

With ENB

I hope Brienne is being useful. I tried to make her a helpful tank, but not sure how well it’s working. :)