Dragon's Dogma

She was useful. I think I picked her up when I was in my teens and she was about the same level. I used her until I was in my 30s, so she stuck with me for a while.

Say goodbye to TheSilverHammer. Killed, literally, by Death. All traces of him are gone now from the rifts. Taking with him a couple of bones, a claw, some herbs and a rock. Moment of silence, please.

You’ll have to create a new main pawn or what?

Rob,

Is that ENB preset also making the load times very long?

No, that’s DeepT’s pawn from his first life. He rerolled and Silver is no more.

F
(chars)

The ENB dev did improve that some. It takes about 20 seconds of loading to leave the capitol. 12 seconds to go back in. I don’t know what it would take without the ENB because disabling the effects doesn’t seem to affect the loading time. Maybe next time I start the game I’ll remove it from the folder and check.

I think I can live with those approx. times. Honestly, the slow loads times from the last ENB were totally fine with me, I’m used to playing this game on PS3 after all, and I put the ENB in pretty early into my time with the PC version so I wasn’t really thinking of them. Then the ENB I had been using stopped working (no reason I could tell) so I deleted all the files in the root folder, re-sync’d the files with Steam and yeah, it loads VERY fast without that stuff. Still, I could live with 12-20 seconds to get more vibrant colors and better (AO) shadows and such, for sure.

Now I feel sad.
I am glad he was well liked. I will miss him, but playing as a mage was just too dull.

You can always try Loki, my new main pawn. He is like a level 10 mage (although I do not know the last time I rested at an INN). Probably too low level for most of you now.

His focus will be scather ( going after the weak guys first), followed by the medic role. He is meant to nuke down all the trash mobs while buffing and healing. He will always be a mage.

Are there any control type spells that are really good? I do not recall any that seemed worth getting. There was one that “binded” an enemy although I have no idea how effective that would be.

Magick Archer and Mystic Knight have some control spells, but I don’t know how effective they are. As for mages/sorcerers, they don’t really have control spells, though the statuses some of their spells inflict may act as control in some cases (freezing, petrifying, etc).

Isn’t that one the single target one?

Mages have grapnel (?) that is a hold in place thing.

I haven’t bought this yet, but I’m close to pulling the trigger. It sounds like everyone thinks Mage is boring. Is there another caster class that’s more fun?

And is ENB a must-try for this?

ENB is most certainly not a must-try - I don’t use it, and the game is fine. Depends on what you think casters are - There are mystic knights, Magic archers as well, that can cast spells, and do archery or warrioring.

Yeah, sorry he is Mitigator, the one that goes after the weak dudes.

I dunno, I had a level 103 Sorcerer last time I played on PS3 and I had a blast with her, so I at least enjoy the magic combat in the game.

I wouldn’t say an ENB is a must, but I think the one I linked to above improves the visuals. The game looks nice without one.

ENB is fine for those super-saturated, super-contrast-with-crushed-blacks, with bonus vignetting and all photoshop dials turned up to 11.

And some of us survived the filter wars of the 90s and 00s. I like the default smeary, painterly look.

Just as a reminder for folks based on some stuff I saw upthread (nothing new, but very useful)

• Turn HDR to low on options
  • Turn off cinematic scenes (“HERE I HAVE A HOLD A OF GOBLIN ARISEN WHILE YOU ARE STABBING A CYCLOP’S EYE 100 METERS AWAY FROM ME”)

So, spending time watching casting bars didn’t bother you? For me, if it was a normal fight, then most of the mobs would be dead before I cast any of my big spells. Sure I could spam Igni over and over, but that got old fast. Even the one where you had the lighting whip was only “meh” Basically Id cast it and maybe 5 seconds later I could actually attack with it. Then id have to walk to some enemies and then let loose. If any of them tagged me, even the tiniest of hits, then my spell would end.

Really what they need to do to fix playing as a caster in this game is to make all, but the most powerful spells instant cast. The grand igni should be a 1 second cast. The super meteor spell 2 seconds at max power. If they did that, then Silverhammer would still be alive and I would still be playing a sorceror.

But no, even the mid level meteor spell takes like 15 seconds to cast ( do not know exactly, but it is god-awful slow) and when it finally goes off, it will kill a few weaker mobs and maybe take a hunk of health out of a bigger mob. I am sure that I could do far more DPS to the bigger mob over the time the meteor spell takes time to wind up and then execute.

The main limit should be my stamina, not the fact that it takes forever to spam spells.

Some of the spells are easier/faster/more efficient than others. I only used some spells for the fun of casting them a few times, but some spells were a mainstay/staple of my arsenal and I never really got tired of “casting” them - the end results were always so satisfying. Like watching two or even THREE pips of health fall off a massive enemy beholder thing or something, I just never got tired of the massive damage I was putting out.