Dragon's Dogma

If anyone is looking for a gamebreaker, the pawn named Rusted Bow is around level 102 right now. All she does is inflict torpor over and over. Heh. She died to petrification (I had her at level 48) and I decided I’d had enough of that silliness.

Does the PC Version of Dragons Dogma actually save the screenshot it takes with the inbuilt utility? I am not sure it does. Was playing in Steam Big Picture mode and had some Kodak moments… guess they weren’t :)

I’m seriously about to ragequit. What idiot thought these wraiths in BBI (red phantasms) were a good idea? What a waste of my life.

I never had too much trouble with those. Holy focused bolt from mages and sorcs almost one-shot them (if your pawns happen to know that as a good strategy). If not, they’re more annoying in that they take awhile to go down for physical classes rather than dangerous unless you get tangled with something else (e.g. eliminator plus an elder ogre) at the same time for maximum chaos.

You can also easily run through that particular area if you don’t want to bother. Also the second round of BBI they are no longer a regular spawn there.

I beat the boss in BBI and I’ll probably skip the second round of it unless someone talks me into it. Ready to be done with the game.

While I was pretty enthusiastic about this game early on (and I might return to it some day) I deleted my installation as soon as XCOM 2 came out. As enjoyable as this game was it slowly started dawning on me that this, like so many “epic” RPGs, just pad the length and content to such a degree that I could never hope to finish it in my very limited game time while maintaining a high interest level. It’s kind of like those sprawling massive fantasy series where the author dies before finishing a narrative arc that should have been wrapped up 10 books ago.

-Todd

I killed the final guy, but never did defeat death. But then other games came along, so I shelved it. My plan is to go back at some point during a game lull…I can see myself whittling away at a level 200 character a week or so at a time.

This game felt twice as long as the 48 hours I put into it. Looking back, I think most of the fun was front-loaded. The expansion endgame content seems interesting in a theoretical sense, but I think I’m happy to leave it finished at this point.

By the way, unless you specifically want to go to NG+ (or you’re an achievement whore) there’s no real point going through the ending past the point of no return. Just watch your dose of life-is-circular Eastern philosophy on YouTube.

According to Google, there are ways to swap save files around, but it’s not really worth the trouble when you can just stay in post-game. Up to you.

I think the real end-game content is exploring all the different classes and build combinations, and hunting for rare loot. Almost like an MMO. Powering through the monsters is fairly unimpressive in itself, given how abundantly they’ve been sprinkled with exploitable weaknesses.

Woo. Picked this up on sale. What the heck is going on? Pawn stuff is confusing. I saw Red Signe @Razgon… Dunno what that means yet :)

Glad you did… it’s a fantastic game. I should boot it up to check on my pawn ;)

The beginning of this game is really one of the most bizarre RPG experiences. Once you get to the city it settles into a normal RPG rhythm. (And then gets bizarre again, but you’re prepared for it.)

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen Character Creation Formulas (as seen on Reddit).

More here.

My favorite is easily Inigo Montoya and Fezzik by a country mile.

The best movie of all time.

Just a quick question for someone who has played this game a lot. I just started it and am finding it very easy so far, I am OK at the souls games so that is my sort of level. Should I persevere at this difficulty level as it gets harder or just restart on hard mode?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Alex.

How far are you Alex? My memory of the game is that it could get hard at times depending where you go. But this isn’t a Dark Souls game, it’s more open world and both easier to out level content and wander into areas you’re not ready for.

People (including me) often talk about Dragon’s Dogma in context with Dark Souls, which is perhaps a little unhelpful for people who’ve played one and not the other. Very different beasts.

Very early, just picked up my pawns. Figuring out if I want to continue playing this or switch to Witcher 3. Looking for challenging combat mostly.

I also found this easy to begin with. Then I was sent to some mountain pass and I can’t make much headway. Getting stuck on one side, and another path leads to deadly lizard people.

Combat doesn’t ever get more “difficult”, mobs just have exponentially more hit points. I personally don’t find hitting something 30 times instead of 5 more challenging, and it’s my major complaint with this game, I think the combat is horrible. There are a couple of boss fights, where you can actually bother to use some tactics, i.e. aim for specific body parts/have to do things in sequence, but the average, run of the mill mobs are sort of spam and pray, and revive your eternally falling down pawns.

That being said, even on easier difficulties, mobs start to have a lot of hit points as you explore. It really depends on if you click with the combat and want “more” of it I suppose.