Dragon's Dogma

Pre and Post DAMON. That’s right. It’s not tied to the dragon at all, you’re supposed to go through Bitter Black twice, once after defeating the damon in its base form, and then through a higher tier version to get to his true form. That second run is awesome, too - so different.

In which case, RUN.

The Switch version has come out a day earlier it seems, yesterday.
From what I’ve read, there are conflicted views about wether or not the portable mode is great or lacking. Just like there were conflicted views about the game being great or lacking when it released, I guess.

I was strongly considering picking up Steamworld Quest, but when I was looking at the eShop, I saw Dragons Dogma hit Switch. I admit I never gave this game much time. I had it on PS3 from plus, but it didn’t win me in the little (very little) time I gave it. I do remember thoughts about how cool nights and the pawn system sounded when @tomchick talked about them in podcasts. Reviews seem to indicate that the Switch version is a higher res version than what I played and runs pretty good. Portable/ instant pause could be a nice selling point. I can’t decide if this is a great game I missed or a great game I should pick up.

Chaplain, Tom streamed Dragon’s Dogma for two days recently. I do not know how it plays on the switch, but as a game? it is really a good one. If you like a mix of western open world with Japanese systems and maybe a little less storytelling. But man some great batt

Oh?! Ok, I will try to hunt that down in the youtube channel. Thanks. Anyone that has dabbled in the Switch version, I welcome comments.

I’m replaying this on Switch, because while I enjoyed the PS3 version, I stopped playing at some point when I couldn’t devote more big screen time to it. As ever, the Switch solves that particular problem. Also, I never played the Dark Arisen DLC, so that’s my excuse.

This game is great! It’s very interesting to play in a post Breath of the Wild world. Some things feel very much like a proto-BotW. There are wandering set piece battles (Griffon, Cyclopes), foraging and crafting, etc. There’s also similarly relatively little exposition or tutorialization: you’re kind of tossed into the world and expected to figure out what does what. There’s day/night cycles, oddball status effects (e.g. drenched), even explosive barrels scattered around. While the exploration and climbing options are lacking in comparison, there’s a similar feeling of exploration.

More than anything though, the sword-and-board combat feels pretty similar to BoTW. I mostly played a Ranger class last time around, so I didn’t experience it then, so it feels pretty fresh. I think the combat diverges a bit more later in the game, where there’s more use of abilities, etc.

I down want to overstate the similarities, but it’s definitely an interesting comparison, and at least as valid as the dark souls/monster Hunter ones made when it was first released.

I barely played Dragon’s Dogma on PS3, but the flexibility of the Switch really makes this for me. If you (or anyone else) wants to use or trade pawns mine is level 32 now. She will eventually be a Sorceror or Mage, but I am flipping through professions to pick up augments. Judging from other pawns my level, she is really solid.

Switch friend code: SW-6147-4541-6616

As a huge fan of this game, having played through it twice now (but not on PC, I should remedy that at some point), this looked perfect.

I’d rather have a next gen sequel, but I’ll probably watch this.

Yeah, I’m watching it for sure. I should reinstall Dragon’s Dogma… I miss it terribly.

Hmmm…I am going to get my kids to watch this with me. I bought them each a copy of the game on Steam when it was super cheap and hopefully the show might motivate them to play. Gotta get those 5 star reviews for my pawn!

So, Castlevania…again, I guess? I watched that, and I’ll probably watch this.

I don’t show Dragon’s Dogma on the list of projects Powerhouse is working on. But if you mean it looks like Anime then yes, welcome to Anime. :)

Wow, it never even occurred to me it might be a different animation house. It looks very much like Castlevania, not just “generic anime”. It even has shots that make me think, “this looks like Metalocalypse,” which Castlevania also had. There’s a weird kind of jerkiness to some of the violence that is hard to describe but reminds me of Dethklok.

But really what I meant was another Netflix animated show based on a not exactly blockbuster video game (although this one is, I think, even less so than Castlevania) that aims to make an “adult” show with plenty of monster bashing and some Whedon-esque quippy dialogue. I mean, they seem, from this trailer, to have an awful lot more in common than just “anime.”

Not once did I hear Hannah warn that dude that wolves hunt in packs, or alert him to the presence of harpies. What the hell kind of useless pawn is she?

The strangeness that I noticed, and maybe this is what you were talking about, is for some reason they made the decision to render the larger creatures (dragons, hydras, seems like stuff in the game that has multiple health bars?) as a 3D animated object instead of 2d animation like the entire rest of the show. The framerate is a little jerky on these animations, maybe that’s just in contrast to the smooth cartoony animation, but it doesn’t “fit” and it makes everything with those scenes look off. I assume it’s a style choice and not a technical limitation (“we can’t draw a huge hydra! do you know how much ink that would take!?”) but I’m not sure I like it. Nonetheless, I think I’m going to really enjoy this one.

I think it’s an interesting choice in this day and age to make the hero a man and the pawn (a creature which only having played a couple hours of the game as far as I know has no personality or free will) a “woman,” that’s for sure.

I was waiting for her to opine that that section of forest was quite a pleasant corner.

I’m pretty sure that one of the quick cut shots was him making out with Hannah, which is problematic in multiple ways.

1. I’m pretty sure he named her after his mother?
  2. It’s sure gross to introduce the idea of having sex with pawns. Like, I mean obviously people in that world would, but, like, can we at least leave that to the fan artists?

It looks fine, but it seems like it hews so close to the plot of the game that I kind of wonder why they bother. The game did tons of cool world building already.

Actually…it would be kind of cool if it turns out that it’s telling the story of Duke Edmund. That would be a neat easter egg.

I wonder what a man & pawn pregnancy would create.

a beautiful baby, according to anime standards.