Dragon's Dogma

If an area is to tough you just look for another area. It is also pretty easy to farm levels and upgrade equipment. The help you can get is also great for both the combat and the banter.

Explore and talk to NPCs.

First day Dragon’s Dogma 2.

Yeah, I’m so full of admiration for Dragon’s Dogma. That’s my open world RPG. There’s jank, and the story is ridiculous, but it’s the fun, endearing kind that doesn’t really bother me.

Why wouldn’t a dragon randomly swoop down on my hideously incestuous fishing village and literally steal my heart? That’s a great reason to go on an adventure. Fuck that dragon, I’m gonna go whoop his ass!

The character creation system and pawns are just fricken awesome. I’m playing as a 13 year old female thief supported by a trans caster/healer chick. I can’t think of any other game that ever gave me that option.

I can only think of very few characters in conventional RPGs that have thrilled me as much as some of the designs people are coming up with.

And the combat! I never get tired of doing counters and watching those deliciously brutal animations play out, or climbing on monsters, and breaking their limbs to make them more manageable. Or using my bow as a submachinegun, because why not.

I feel like they put the emphasis exactly where it should be, at least for my taste. I really hope they can pull it off a second time!

I am surprised more games haven’t adopted something like the pawn system used by DD.

Right? It’s entirely too good not to copy.

I think it’s probably because you have to build the rest of the game around it, at least if you want the character creator to still be amazing. Armor has to be able to warp, and you have to be able to fit anyone into the story.

Which is sort of what most RPGs do anyway - most are incredibly busy trying to be all things to all people - so it wouldn’t be a huge loss to give up locked player or companion characters.

Got a guide you’d recommend? Text, preferably: I have zero interest in watching a 20 hour video.

Lots of community guides on Steam.

I did watch a bunch of videos…trying to remember if there was one great one but it’s been a while. One thing you can do, is watch some no hack speed runs, there is a lot of really useful info in those.

I spent a bunch of lunchtimes watching random DD vids, and ended up getting the gist of it over time.

The world isn’t really that big once you can portal about. IIRC the game does do a pretty good job of telling you where to go.

Yeah, it’s been too long since I played to give specific advice but I don’t recall having any trouble finding the main path - you can basically just follow the quest cues. You can also free roam, of course, and generally if there’s something terrifying then you’re not supposed to be there yet.

Yah you can get through the game and follow a quest path, but there are a lot of quests that get wiped if you do things in a certain order. For example, if you go down the dungeon in the main town, before you complete one of the main quests in the starter town, you are unable to then complete that quest string, which actually has a fairly substantial impact on the main story/rewards. The main quest string in the big city, which has you talk to the head honcho, will also remove an NPC that sells a few particular very expensive items that can be crucial later on in the game. You won’t have the money to buy those items by the time the game starts you on that main quest. There is quite a few situations like that, so for me it was worth looking at optimal path vids or guides, YMMV.

If you don’t care about missing quests you can certainly just plow through and the game will do a good enough job of directing you.

Right. See, I said it had been too long! So to avoid that I ended up using the wiki:

and then apparently totally forgot that I’d done that - thanks for the reminder @Ultrazen!

It totally depends on how much of a side quest lover you are lol. For me, I hated being locked out of certain quest strings, as on my first couple play throughs, I went back to do some quests only to find out I couldn’t. The game doesn’t do a great job of letting you know what will or won’t be fubar if you continue on a quest string.

I guess my real point was, my enjoyment of the game dramatically improved when I spoiled a bunch of stuff in terms of where items were, how to build characters, and what quest order to follow. That can certainly be different for different people. I didn’t care for sort of blundering around trying to figure out great builds etc, as it takes quite a while to really level/build a character.

Yup, I’m a total completion nut and had the same issue. One of the (many) things I liked about Bitterblack Island was that this kind of thing was no longer an issue.

I had forgotten that you could trigger an event that caused great change.

I think you are safe doing quests that are outside of the big city, even if the request came from someone within the city.

It’s official now that there’ll be a second one. And the nice part: It looks almost the same, just with more up-to-date graphics, an actual budget to flesh out the storyline, and hey, they got David Lodge as the voice of the Dragon once more.

Looking forward to this, for once.

I enjoyed the first one and look forward to the next.

Very excited about this and yeah, I’d be very happy with more of the same in this particular case.

So is it the same Dragon?

That feels, weird. I’m still there day one either way.

Edit: And yeah, I vaguely remember something about cycles, but I thought that cycle was broken. Also didn’t think the dragon was literally the same dragon every cycle, but it’s been a long ass time so maybe I didn’t understand/forgot something important.

I’m reminded how the developers of Nioh said they weren’t happy with the original game and wanted to get closer to their original vision in the sequel. We know Dragon’s Dogma was kind of an incomplete game, and we see the similarities already from the trailer. Maybe Itsuno wants to make the game right this time.