Dragon's Dogma

“Sorry to have kept you waiting.” [bows respectfully]

Love it. That’s an easy pre-order, I’ve gotten hundreds of hours out of the original. Plus, how can I not support that team?

The Internet kept asking why they waited until this 10th anniversary special to announce the game instead of an earlier Xbox or Capcom stream with the other heavy hitters.

It’s because Itsuno wanted to tell us personally in his own way, duh!

Capcom is on quite the roll.

Not much to add beyond this is fantastic news.

I’m so excited for this. I wonder how different this will be from the first one, and whether they will take any inspiration from Elden Ring or the many games that have come since DD1.

oh my god! There is no other game with combat just like Dragons Dogma - cant wait!

Day one purchase for me.

Yay, about time. I mean, still probably got a bit of wait until it actually releases but just to know it is in development is quite the news.

I’m excited for the fans! I’ve started the game probably a dozen times on different platforms and never made it out of the first city I landed in :)

Time for a 13th try!

I bought this game a while ago. I should install it and see what the hubbub is all about.

I did about the same thing until the game finally clicked for me, and then I put about 1000 hours into it. It’s not great at getting you into the game, as a lot of the systems can be a bit obtuse, but once you do get it, it’s very strong.

Yeah, I got into it on first try but it’s definitely a rough start and it isn’t great at showing off it’s best aspects, either. It really takes until the hydra fight for it to become clear that you’re dealing with something truly special, and then it just gets better as it goes. Hell, I’d argue its absolute strongest parts are the DLC content - it’s just a continual ramp up from those awkward early hours to the complete hurricane of awesomeness that is BitterBlack Island (even moreso the second time through).

I feel like I should get some to finishing the first one… I petered or shortly after reaching the big city. I vaguely recall having no idea how to progress in the story.

I need to go back to this one as well. I tried it shortly after the SteamLink came out and was trying to play on that. Unfortunately, I was dealing with a lot of technical issues at the time which I think got in the way of me really getting into the game as I was spending most of my time troubleshooting, not playing.

For me, this was another one of those games that was much much better on 2nd or 3rd play through, when I had a better idea where I was supposed to be going etc. There are also quite a few events that can lock you out of other events, so the order you do things in is also fairly important. DD is one of those games that’s worth watching a few let’s plays or guides on, as a lot of the pitfalls aren’t really something you could figure out on a first run.

I’ve tried this so many times since I first found a copy for the PS3. But I get to a point early on (maybe a couple of hours) where I’m stuck in a dungeon with baddies way over my level. Still, I’m gonna try this sucker again.

It’s very very easy in DD to be in the wrong place, especially early on. The game does a horrible job of steering you where you should be going. There really is a pretty specific /optimized path to take, and I found that that made a huge difference. Again, worth watching some guides on it if you’re so inclined, I found it upped my enjoyment exponentially when I could get my character/party built correctly for the content.

Oh, thanks. I may try that. I thought I was pretty much following along the main path and then ‘bam’, I’m in this dungeon that just kicks my ass sideways. If I can avoid this hell hole maybe I can enjoy the actual game that follows.

The path that you should follow is really obtuse, and not at all intuitive. The game sort of dumps you into that main town without a lot of specific direction, and some of the direction it does give you is actually bad to do in the order they steer you towards. Learning the order/critical path, and how best to do it, was the best thing I ever did, and is what finally made the game click for me.

The caveat to all of this being, that I don’t care at all about spoilers, so it didn’t matter to me to watch some guides/play throughs.