Drox Operative 2

You’re one responsive developer. :)

Is this just me? In the Trade screen on a planet, attempting to ID an item doesn’t work. At least until you switch to just the inventory screen. Not a major thing, but IDing in the Trade screen would be nice,

The game auto pauses on those screens. You can hit the pause button to unpause. There is also an option in the game options to turn the auto pause off on the planet screens.

Oh, cool. Thanks!

In addition to what Steven already said, if you’re on a trade screen the NPC will have an option to identify your whole inventory for a small fee. I use that a lot unless it’s the very start of the game and am completely broke.

I’ve gotta be more aware of the UI. Thanks, Kev.

Version 0.903 is out: changes.

This patch fixes a few crashes, adds an upgrade consumable race service, flattens the xp curve quite a bit, adds new dialog, makes scanning anomalies and planets faster, and fixes several more minor issues.

I might be biased but I think this is a great change. ;) Looks like Lithisoid is back on the menu!

Glad to see the shotgunners whacked with the nerfbat again as well. The last tweak made them not so impossible but they still felt like they punched way above their weight to me. Lots of other nice changes in there too.

Version 0.905 is out: changes.

This patch improves the spying system (counterespionage, laying low, jump gate activation stealing, & better sabotage), makes armor plating more viable by increasing its resistance, balances a bunch of things better, and fixes several more minor issues.

Version 0.906 is out: changes.

This patch adds cool descriptions to random races that explains them and their background a bit. The description basically explains why they are the way they are and adds some more details.

Version 0.907 is out: changes.

This patch makes slavery races impact a sector more, fixes a diplomatic win issue, adds more race story chunks, makes danger level in race descriptions more accurate, and fixes several more minor issues.

So I finally picked this up in prep for v1, took her out for a quick spin and I’m not sure the controller support is doing it for me. :(

In particular, how am I meant to trigger slots 5-10? There are four buttons bound to slots 1-4, yet there seems to be around eight buttons for moving around the UI and emulating a mouse.

On thing that can help is to use the weapon grouping stuff. Click one of the up arrows below a hotkey slot and it will open up 3 more slots. All 4 will get used when you trigger that hotkey slot.

Doesn’t that just mean I miss out on using all the groups under 5-10 as well though? :)

And does it mean there is no strategy to weapon cool-down rotation (I didn’t play enough to see)?

The other thing is surely I’d want bindings for the three quick buffs (health, shields, boost)? That leaves two for weapons, if you include the right stick auto-firing one of the slots.

You can also rebind things how ever you want, but you are definitely more restricted than if you were using a keyboard.

I still have it on my list to go back and work some more on this.

After 13 months of Drox Operative 2 early access, I’ve posted another update talking about all of the changes from the last few months.

I think maybe a ‘shift’ button would be a quick-ish thing that could help, to nearly double your control options (including giving you two slot options for right stick directional weapons instead of one). Just have a binding for ‘shift’ and allow it work while binding other controls.

Also stuff like holding A or something to tractor nearby loot.

Pipe dream stuff - a different paradigm for controller, like a separate context for UI where a selection wheel lets you brings up interface screens, and UI controls only function/override the ship/slot controls while screens are open. Then you’d have two sets of bindings, and introduce more controls for navigating the UI, like quickly moving between UI sections (e.g. inventory and hot-bar). Get rid of mouse pointer altogether.

Nice, I’ll check back in at release and see how it’s all going. The game itself is great! :)

Yeah the gamepad needs to have its own ui mode. There should never be a mouse cursor emulation necessary - that automatically makes the mode difficult to use and scares away potential players. The cursor should stick to buttons and inventory slots etc.

I think using the d-pad already does that, it moves the cursor directly from button to button. It’s still pretty slow going though without controls to quickly move to a different window.

Does it do inventory slots? But yeah you need the trigger buttons to switch windows as well. Basically look how a AA title like Grim Dawn does it and copy the heck out of it.