Drox Operative (Soldak's New Game)

You can use either the mouse or keyboard, and yes the weapons autotrack selected enemies.

I myself use the keyboard but…HEY, WHY ARE YOU WATCHING WITH THE SOUND OFF? ;)

Seriously, thanks for watching. ;)

HA! That’s awesome. After making my post, I headed over to YouTube, found a video that turned out to be yours, and even commented on the lack of links! Now I know it’s your video I should be able to find the write-ups you were referring to.

I got pulled away before I could watch a lot of it, but great video so far. Thanks Brian, your efforts are much appreciated.

He’s out there doing space god’s work so that we can enjoy our space games in peace.

Aaww, thanks guys, I try my best. :)

With everything else to play, it’s been several builds since I’ve even looked at this. It might be time to come back.

There’s some different control options, but I use WASD. W for thrust, A/D for turning. You can also use the mouse in a “fly towards mouse cursor” way and other things, but I prefer WASD.

Weapons do autotrack. You have some other weapons that you target in different ways like Mines which you leave behind you and torpedoes which you can detonate in an area. There’s also EMP weapons, computer virii, and… well you get the idea. But generally yes, standard weapons autotrack.

Mines are OP which is why I always fly human ships :)

Sigh, I do so love mines.

So I watched some of Brian’s let’s play and have a few questions/comments.

1. Combat looked REALLY easy. Was he overpowered or is it always that easy?

2. What is the point of having people identify items? Does it cost money? If they don’t require “identify scrolls” or there is no financial cost, it seems pointless and should be removed from the game.

3. Are all the missions the standard kill this many things or collect these items and bring them back?

4. Do you always have the same ship and just upgrade it, or can you purchase new ships? Are you always stuck in a corvette, or can you purchase a destroyer if you wanted to go that route?

1. It starts easy in the noob sectors and noob difficulty settings, which are probably Brian’s favorite settings ;) If you jump to a system with higher level, things can get hectic. You have the ability at the start of a game to specify what level you want your enemies to be compared to your level. So, difficulty is easy, except when it isn’t.

2. Again, a difficulty level thing and a concept carried forward directly from Din’s Curse. At easier difficulty, you can ID stuff at your leisure and it just seems like a time sink. At higher difficulties, with events roaring along at a frantic pace in the world, you literally do not have the time or peace of mind to ID every item. It’s a deliberate design decision and not busy work, although I’d prefer if there was an option to turn it off.

3. Most are kill this stuff but there are delivery and protection missions as well. I don’t think anyone does the delivery stuff because it the cargo requires a ship space/socket, and I never, ever have one of those free.

4. Ship image doesn’t change IIRC. BUT when upgrading at level up, one of the attributes directly contributes to ship size and storage/equipment capacity.

Guh, thanks for reminding me these were here, sorry I didn’t answer them sooner:

1. No, it’s not always this easy, I was still a relatively new character. If you scan anomaly and find yourself teleported to a system you’re NOWHERE near ready for, you can see how easy combat isn’t. It gets damned hectic the higher in levels you go, as you’re always juggling power, shields, the need to run away and so on.

2. I identify stuff because, IIRC, it gives more accurate selling prices. It’s not required at all. I also like to see if it’s something that might be better than what I currently have.

3. Many missions involve killing things, but there are also “deliver this gift” or “protect this planet” or “help terraform this planet” or, if at war, “destroy this colony” or “distract our enemy”. I’ve never felt a lack of variety in the quests.

4. Every certain number of points you invest in command, you upgrade to the next hull level, such as from, say, a scout to a destroyer (might not be 100% accurate). Doing so gives you usually a bigger ship which might be a bit slower, but has more structure and another light equipment slot, for example.

I hope this helps!

When will this be on steam?

Your ship appearance most definitely changes as you upgrade hulls.

Cool. I’ve only upgraded two tiers on the human ship and it looks like the same blue blobby ship to me :)

I actually got to the second human ship last night – started a new ship because MINES – and there was definitely a visual difference, gotta zoom in now and then :)

So, once you level up your ship enough there is no way to go back to a lighter ship? Do you have to put points into command? It seems as though some people may want to stay with a lighter quicker ship instead of a larger slower ship.

Pizza, there’s no way to go back, and you don’t have to put points in command, but the ships you get in upgrading do have benefits that, I felt, made it worth it at least. Also, you can get more powerful engines to make larger ships faster as well.

The benefit is that if you decide to stay “light and nimble”, you’re going to eventually going to fall behind the power curve because you don’t have the space to install the new stuff you’ll need to survive the higher difficulties.

Version 0.928 is out: patches and changes. This patch has a few balance changes, some useful UI tweaks, and a bunch of fixes.

We are trying to make light and nimble ships a viable tactic also. The recent bonus skills are one of the boosts for smaller ships.

BTW, thanks KevinC for starting a new thread with the game name in it.

I love how you drop updates right before the weekend hits, Steven. Patch notes look good, and Alstein got his Prev/Next Race buttons added. :)