Duke Nukem Forever in August PC Gamer?

Apparently, there’s a cryptic remark in the “Next Issue” blurb in the back of the July issue according to a post on Gaming-Age Forums. It was brought up on 3DRealms boards today and now those threads were deleted by the admins there…

Looks very possible that August will see the unveiling of this game in the pages of that mag.

–Dave

They meant August 2008.

The only thing I have to say about that game anymore is, hope its great.

Duke3D was one of the most fun pure deathmatch games ever, and in my opinion for deathmatch much more fun than quake 1.

Is there an August Fool’s Day that no one has told me about?

Troy

Is Duke Forever being ported to the Nintendo DS or something?

Ya know, all jokes aside, this thing has to be released EVENTUALLY… So August is as good a bet as any.

The good thing is that there should be no hype backlash if it isn’t great… I’m sure everyone expects it to be awful by now.

What the hell is Duke Nukem Forever?

I rewatched the 2001 trailer like five times. Man…if they have a graphic engine that’s current combined with the kind of incredible stuff that’s in that trailer (which still look fabulous if a bit dated polygonwise), then they can still make just about any FPS seem kind of bland by comparison. The trailer is still that good and shows flashes of interactivity that rival anything done to date.

–Dave

Which has been in development longer, this or Grimoire?

I don’t know, I still think it’s going to be really hard, if not impossible, to find “fair” opinions for a long time following its release. People will polarize quickly into “I told you it was gonna suck” and “oooh, all you naysayers were wrong, it’s the greatest thing ever!” When communities have had this long to speculate, people will become more attached to these assumptions about the game they’ve been cultivating and will be much more likely to overlook things in the interest of defending their long held position once they actually have the game in their hands.

Even if they’re not playing exclusively to one of those angles, most reviewers will probably have a hard time not expressing one of those opinions in their reviews as well. They might not be out to say “I told you so” one way or the other, but it’s still likely to come up that “feature X suffers, likely due to the development time” or “you can see how all the time really did benefit feature y.” That will just get the readers going again and more shouting will follow. Oooh! Ahhh! That’s how it always starts. Then later there’s running and screaming.

And of course, we haven’t even decided what a fair review is. There will be people who will say that the game should be judged as if it just fell from the sky with no announcement, and there will be people who will think that at least to some degree, the production “schedule” and timeframe are fair game for factors in a review.

This game will always be the posterchild on how to destroy a profitable franchise.

They could and should have released at least 2 maybe 3 games by now.

They could and should have released at least 2 maybe 3 games by now.

Why do they need to when they have external developers who can do that for them?

I don’t know, I still think it’s going to be really hard, if not impossible, to find “fair” opinions for a long time following its release.

I agree. With this game I’m just gonna buy it without waiting for any reviews.

All joking aside I suspect it will be a pretty good game. I probably will scratch my head and wonder how the hell it took so damn long to make, but in the end I’d be willing to bet it turns out to be a good game. If people are willing to look at it fairly, which may not not be possible for some.

You know, it’s strange, but I will probably buy this day one as well. :?

Speaking of the latest PC Gamer…

I was relatively shocked by how negative Dan Morris was in his Ghost Recon 2 preview. Not shocked in a bad way necessarilly- Dan was very upfront about how much he felt the gameplay was being dumbed down to appeal more to console users and how the game really didn’t resemble the first game at all. Definitely not what I would expect from PC Gamer.

DNF? Not interested.

Well, I’m interested in what BS 3drealms is going to come out. After all, they have to top Valve’s “code theft” at some point.

Is there an estimate somewhere as to how much they’ve spent of development of the game so far so we could get an estimate of just how many copies they’d have to sell to break even?

Is there an estimate somewhere as to how much they’ve spent of development of the game so far so we could get an estimate of just how many copies they’d have to sell to break even?

Actually, they have not spent any money on the game. You see, the reason it’s taken so long to come out is that they are getting the code from aliens, and the flying saucers got stuck in a traffic jam near Alpha Centauri.

Or their simply stealling it.

Gamer installs new DNF, “hey why are the installshield pictures a crowbar?”

Development was announced in 1997. I imagine they were working on it at least a year before that.

All 3 Star Wars prequels will have been made and released by the time one PC game is completed.

Imagine coming to work every day to work on this game. How pointless does that feel.