Duke Nukem Forever to be released on May 3rd 2011

I’d be shocked if such a game became a success, though.

I don’t have a hard time envisioning a good and successful Duke Nukem game. Gearbox could definitely pull it off. Just look at DNF and then do everything differently.

I’m sure they could make a good game, but I think it will be hard to live DNF down.

The public is not particularly forgiving in that way.

That’s assuming the public even remembers DNF at all. The enthusiasts like us will come back to Duke Nukem if Gearbox makes a good game. With regard to the more mainstream consumer, I wonder how many of them know anything about DNF at all. If Gearbox comes back in two years with a great Duke game and Take Two gets behind it with a good marketing campaign, the game will sell. If it doesn’t, I don’t think it’ll have much to do with DNF.

Well, let’s just wait and see I guess :)

I look forward to your final review, if only for the schadenfreude. Should be epic.

…oh wait, that’s the company which doesn’t make vaporware, right? Never mind.

Tried the first part of the demo. Seemed awful. No idea why it would sell at all. Didn’t bother finishing… and it would completely put me off later games with this name.

Same. What a piece of shit that demo was. I can see why they locked it behind a pay wall.

Wouldn’t suprise me. Take 2 was committed to squeezing at least some revenue out of what they had put into DNF development over the years, and they had made claims on the DN IP in their suit against 3D Realms. Think of it as one of those multi-team trades they like to do in the NBA.

If DNF is sequel material, I wonder what Squeenix-Eidos has planned for Daikatana?

Daikatana 2: The Unmaking of the Bitches. Play now for free with all your facebook friends!

Ha! That is my favorite username this year.

Wasn’t there a mobile Duke game in the making or something such when 3DR shut down? That’s a likely next title to get finished and out the door.

You’re forgetting the part where there are several good Duke games, but zero good Daikatana games.

I can still hear the horrible belching sound the robo-frogs made. I picked up Daikatana after it had been discounted and it really was a piece of crap.

The truly sad thing about Daikatana is that it didn’t end there, it was only the beginning of what was to become the trend of Daikatanas which eliminated one star designer after the next.

An awesome insiders view of DNF:

I am surprised that Yahtzee almost wrote the story. Also, Gearbox did almost all the humor which has me worried.

“And like y’know like y’know like and uhhh y’know like like uhhhh like y’know like y’know uhhh y’know like uhhh like y’know?”

I played the demo the other night, and I’m going to have to side somewhat with the Qt3 hive-mind on this one. I wouldn’t say it’s terrible, but it’s not really entertaining and certainly not worth 50 bucks… at least from what I could tell from the demo. When it falls to somewhere below 20 bucks, I might pick it up just for the sake of nostalgia. Did I emphasize the word ‘might’ enough back there? ;)

I don’t think that’s quite accurate. Basically Yahtzee and some other writers were asked to do some sample scenes for a Duke game on the presumption that they’d become the full time writer.

I overstepped my bounds somewhat aggressively early on by pursuing that and feel bad that I ended up wasting the time of a few writers. For various reasons (that, in my opinion, had nothing to do with the quality of the submissions – all the writers sent in pretty stellar stuff and I think any of them would have been great) it was decided not to hire any writer at that time.

Hiring a high quality writer early on would not have necessarily saved the project at that time, but based on the comments here, it was something that would have increased the quality by a measurable amount.

It gets worse. I think that later section may have been one of the older ones designed, actually. It wasn’t nearly as forcefully linear as other parts were, at least providing the illusion of open movement at a few points without being locked into tunnels.

Frankly, more of that would have made for a better game.