Duke Nukem Forever to be released on May 3rd 2011

Night Dive is a pure porting studio, they aren’t equipped as far as I know to develop a game.

With the 5 years they’ve taken to re-do System Shock, you’re pretty much right :)

Hahaha. Those are the most early Unreal Engine lens flares ever.

I don’t care who does it. Gearbox does not seem to have any interest to do it themselves, regardless of ability. Night Dive has done quite a few fantastic remasters lately (quake, shadow man, turok…). They have good track record.

It seems to be out now! Duke4.net has the relevant info…

What’s really amazing about this is the way it shows how little work was actually done.

Not that amazing. They’ve said for years that pretty much everything that existed of the 2001 build was in the trailer.

This was the second engine change/reboot I believe? They were going to use the Quake 2 engine at first, later they changed to Unreal Engine, then to UE2, and finally it was finished with an almost ue3.0 engine. Something like that.

When the original Duke 3D came out, it was pretty damn cool, and a fun FPS. I don’t quite get the fondness for the franchise at this point, though. The theming was never much more than juvenile pseudo-parody, Duke’s whole schtick gets stale really fast, and there are better pure shooters out there these days. Nostalgia is strong I guess.

They are currently developing a complete remake of System Shock though, aren’t they?

Yes, although its development was somewhat messy. They seem to be very close to release though.
The also have their own engine, KEX, used for most (all?) of their remasters.

I still like Duke. I like its combination of real world setting, interactivity with the environment, 80s bad ass protagonist all outta bubblegum and its mature-juvenile humor. There actually aren’t all that many games like it these days. Shadow Warrior maybe, but that went kinda off the rails after the first (great) game.

Plus Duke still has its unique level of interactivity with the environment, I feel. That’s the one thing it did that still seems fairly unique. Maybe Star Citizen is the true successor to Duke3D in that way, trying to create really detailed interactions with environments.

The thing about DNF is that even in 2001, we had already seen Half Life. We had already seen that shooters could be so much more.

More types/flavours of shooters can exist at the same time. I love HL but it does not satisfy the same itch as Duke does.

Apparently, there’s a Hollywood Holocaust remake included in the files.

https://youtu.be/EbKRaP-pVyI

Alan Blum, the only developer to work on Duke Nukem as a sidescroller all the way up to shipping DNF, said that the first they would do whenever there was a significant engine development like switching from Quake to Unreal or dropping BSP in favour of static meshes would be to receate Hollywood Holocaust, the map he designed for D3D. I just love that’s the benchmark to see whether a project feels appropriately “Duke.”

Scott Miller just made a brief post about the leak.

It’s a very sad story no matter how you look at it. It brought 3D Realms to its knees, all of our development team left or was released, and the 3D Realms name is now owned by someone with no connection to our past.

It’s the best thing that could’ve happened for the series. Any future project that’s now underway following the Embracer deal would still have people asking about this build and never can measure up to people’s dreams. I’m shocked by how much is here. A lot of its very rudimentary but all the weapons, enemies, and multiplayer are fully functional. While I love the Unreal 1 aesthetic, the game it most closely resembles, at least aesthetically for me, is Max Payne 1; early digital textures sourced from location photography mapped onto (for the time) high poly models. It’s like a dark, sci-fi take on that.

Ouch.

It’s genuinely sad to see even a decade after the game launched. I guess these teams fall apart for a reason. It reminds me that Sandy Petersen went off on Tim Wilitis, who it seems was not well liked by anyone on the Quake team outside of the co-founders not named Romero, just last year.