Duke Nukem officially dead? 3drealms closed down?

So, just start quoting Army of Darkness and They Live?

They’re still working on it. It’ll be released “when it’s done.”

That would almost certainly be impossible due to Take2 owning a significant portion of the rights now, as well as many possible licensing issues related to their use of third party middleware/engine providers.

Damn! You beat me to it!

Realize that this thread is mainly about trying to be cooler than everyone else on the internet by out-scoffing other posters at the studio’s closure, but there’s at least one vote of genuine disappointment here.

Whatever else may be said, Duke 3-D (the one with the pipe bombs, shrink ray, jet pack, and Army of Darkness quotes) was a hell of a game. Shame we won’t get to see what would’ve come next.

That’s okay, we’ve had games like Half-Life since.

I wonder if Take 2 could have its own team finish the game if they wanted to. You’d think after 12 years there’s got to be a good portion done. Or not, which would be why today’s announcement happened. :P

Should I repeat that bad news are usually true news?

Hilarious. The saga behind DNF would be epic to read. Something like The Devil’s Candy or that book about id Software would be a great page-turner.

There’s nobody to blame about us not seeing what would’ve come next but the people who run the studio, thus the scoffing. (And actually, I’m not sure what thread you’re reading since this one seems to be biased somewhat more pro-3DR than I would normally expect).

I mean, this isn’t like a case of some publisher coming in and fucking shit up at the last moment on a game that was looking good, this is a case of a company having well over a decade and many millions of dollars to produce a game and being completely unable to do it and too stupid (again and again) to admit defeat. There is just an epic level of incompetence at the root of this that makes it impossible for me to shed a single tear for 3DR.

Maybe after the dust settles, Take2 will be able to take the rights and let someone develop a new Duke game that is actually good and captures the spirit of the original. If you believe that any new Duke game really needs Broussard and Miller behind it to capture the, uhmmm… “essence” of Duke, well I totally disagree.

Consider changing your screenname.

About fucking time.

I thought this outcome was painfully obvious when Jason Hall got video footage of the development team with level 80 characters in World of Warcraft. I know that footage was supposed to be sort of a joke like “haha, we’ve been playing WoW instead of making DNF,” but I knew in my heart that they most likely were playing WoW instead of making DNF.

Duke Nukem + Rockstar New England = match made in heaven

For what it’s worth, for me, it’s about one fellow I interacted with personally a few times and thought was a giant asshat, and his business partner, who I thought was disingenuous almost to the point of criminal fraud, mismanaging a company and producing nothing of note for a decade, and finally crashing like they deserved. The gaming industry moved on long ago. I don’t regret what 3DR didn’t release, because over here are all these nice developers have actually been releasing things I can give my money and attention to.

I assume that there are people who are now out of work with medical bills and mortgages and whatnot, and I feel for them, but Broussard, Miller, and Duke as an IP? It’s all shadenfreude.

It’s not like nobody saw this coming (including the people who worked there). Personally, I gave my condolences to 3D Realms after the second engine overhaul.

Give it a time travel plot. You start out playing the original Duke Nukem, then transition to the 1998 version, then the 2001 version, then the Atari 2600 version, and finally the 2008 version.

Announced april 1997- quake II engine(wow really? it was that long ago?)
Scott sez release in 1998
1998 switch to unreal engine sez game out in 1999
1999 upgrade to shiner version of unreal
2000 GOD gets rights to publish
2001 GOD shuts down enter Take Two
2002 redo the engine again (Take 3?)
2003-2005 development hell.
Best Quote ever "On March 21, 2006, 3D Realms CEO Scott Miller talked of a sequel by stating, “of course as soon as Duke is done we’ll begin a new one”
2007 we get a crappy teaser and a tiny pic on a gameboard
Scott sez 2008 release
2008 some screenshots
Now- Finished-but not the game.

Duke Nukem ForNaught

Believe it or not, the game and the company’s existence is actually a performance art piece.