Dungeons of Dredmor - Graphical Roguelike-ish Awesomeness

Cool, thanks for the info. I figured out that if I stay out of the sandstorm, I get the Test of Time. But if I walk into it at any point, I lose Test of Time and get Ruin of Time instead. So there’s an easy workaround of “stay out of your own sandstorm, dumbass” that works just fine, until the patch.

Buffs are always nice, but I dunno if Broadside needs to be a lot better. It already occasionally kills things and always gives you free Heavy Shot ammo. My random build didn’t have the Throw skill, unfortunately, but I could see it being pretty good to have free Heavy Shot with throwing bonuses. Still, no complaints if Broadside would be a little more consistent with the aiming.

It’s always the place for interface whining! I’d love to do the crafting interface better, but Dredmor UI can properly be described as something between “brittle” and “held together with tape”. Sometimes literally.

But yes, I’ve added a couple of these quality of life UI improvements to The List of post CotW-fixes. We’ll do what we can, especially with the critical crashing and more gross balance issues out of the way.

Huzzah!

Now if I could just manage to kill Vlad. His resist list doesn’t make much sense, the only thing I can really hurt him with is chucking Clockwork Sawblades at his head.

Oh, and a possible bug: with either 98% magic resist or 100% magic reflect, Vlad’s lightning attack hits me every single time for huge damage. Is it because it’s AOE, and treated as trap damage or something?

New at this, but this is the most common reason I’m dying: I’m in a hectic fight and accidently pick up an object a dead opponent drops(I assume), and then can’t fight or move.

Then I get surrounded and can’t drop it either. By the time I struggle to put it in the inventory, I don’t have enough hp to survive the fight.

You can use WASD to move which will let you walk over items one square at a time when you need to, step onto open doors instead of closing them, and purposefully (I totally meant to do that) step on traps. If you pick something up you can also walk around with WASD while the item is still held as your cursor if your backpack is full. Remember that the game is actually turnbased and if you do accidentally pick something up you can drop it in your inventory (I) without taking a turn, but dropping it on the floor next to you will take a turn.

You should go to the pocket dimension and drop off your crap more often.

Any further word on an iPad version?

I am used to mouse movement, but I did not realize that it was turnbased and I had that much time. I’ll test that.

I must be a packrat, just sold all sorts of stuff and do use the PD, and still have a full backpack. Problem is I’m really new to the game, and don’t know what is totally useless for my build yet.

Until you sort-of-memorize the crafting tables it’s pretty aggrevating. Try this. Really unless you’ve actually taken a point in wandcrafting, smithing, or tinkering you can just sell everything but potions (the potions, not the bad-if-drunk alchemy gear), wands, and resist gear.

You can save stuff for encrusting, but I wouldn’t bother unless you’re powergaming.

but this is incredibly tedious. Pocket dimension is a nice idea. but what it should really give me is an infinite for practical purposes, easily filterable, inventory.

It was a good run.

So close. In the end, impatience was my undoing. Didn’t have a full HP or mana bar but I kept exploring level 15 anyway, and couldn’t do much but run when I came across Dredmor. He got me with that wind-cold DoT thing.

They’re already pushing the bounds of roguelike enough as it is, in my opinion. What’s the point of inventory in a roguelike if you never have to agonize over what to keep or sell?

So now I know what people were calling a monster zoo is!!

I managed to retreat to a alley and kill them one by one. I was pretty pleased with myself, but when I went into the zoo, some spell mines killed me.

And I thought I was getting pretty good at mine detect and retrieve, but these must be higher level.

Ohhh ouch! Are you sure you weren’t just moving too fast and missed them from all the blood and guts? There are some mines that a just killer and every time you move you take damage. Thaumite trap is one of the worst.

Anyone know if that patch is coming out today/tonight?

It just said spell mine in the death panel, did not say which one. I was surrounded in blue or purple clouds.

Yep, you hit one trap and it kept damaging you.

If you go slow enough traps will always be revealed even without rogue skills until you get to a Level 4 or much higher. The problem is… taking one step at a time and noticing your surroundings is very difficult, especially when they’re right above a South wall. I find I do the opposite of what I should. I move too slow and carefully when there’s no danger, then when I should be careful I move around with abandon. It’s like the damn thing reads my mind. That’s why I usually take the Perception skill and always suggest new players use it too.

Guys, there’s a challenge for you: Reddit’s /r/dredmor had a challenge last week, I won it, and so this week I get to make the rules and here’s what I set up. Join us, and let the friendly competition begin!

Reddit Weekly Dredmor Challenge link

Cool. But I think you should wait until the new patch comes out today/tomorrow as that willl change A LOT.

Aaaaaand I just lost a level 22 Clockwork Knight to a goddamn turnip. This game is so random.

Easy easy easy easy easy easy easy easy SPLAT

LOL - Is it bad I laughed when I read this? That is one funny statement you don’t expect to see in gaming.

I wish Gaslamp could do “DeathWall” that is tradeable amoungst friends on Steam and up to Facebook/E-Mail. This is the one game… the only game I’d ever want to see updates from friends on their gaming just because seeing causes of death is so hilarious (and one can truly appreciate high scores).