Dying Light 2 - Zombies, parkour, and decisions

I finished the initial story campaign yesterday. I chose to save Lawan. I felt it was the wrong choice, but I also hoped that the game might also me a final chance to do the right thing before there were consequences.

Honestly, without the mediocre narrative pushing along along my character, I’m of the opinion that now the real game can begin. Exploring sidequests, Dark Zones, GRE anomalies, quarantine areas, unlocking windmills and energy plants, solving radio tower climbs is way more engaging than the dumb find my sister, and stop Waltz plot.

I’m still only a few hours into the game, but I have a dumb question. I think I missed something or wasn’t paying attention and don’t understand this:

Why does Aiden have issues going into dark spaces or the night? That clock starts ticking and I constantly need to get back to light inside ~ 5 minutes. Was this due to my getting bit by a zombie?

Thanks

Yes :)

It is less clear than it should be - the whole biomarker stuff is kind of lost in the attempt at drama. But that’s the gist of it. You don’t like darkness now!

The infection speeds up in the dark is slows down in the sun or UV light, yep. The inhibitors you pick up make you more resilient to the infection and extend the time in darkness.

That, and when you bed down, he throws a tantrum like an overtired 6 year old being told he has to go to bed. That got annoying after only the 2nd time i saw it.

I finished this up last week. This one was a pretty big disappointment for me as I recall enjoying the first Dying Light. I’ll go on record and say this is one of the worst games I’ve played in a while.

No spoilers:

I played on Normal Difficulty which I feel should adequately express all the things that game is about.

The story is flat out horrible. Tonally it’s all over the map. I think they were maybe going for 80s Action Movie part of the time? I don’t know. The motivations for the characters often made no sense. I’m still not entirely sure why the ending escalated the way it did. As in, why did the main bad guy want to do the thing he wanted to do. There are so many laughably bad and completely nonsensical moments toward the end.

The final boss battle glitched out on me, with the enemy jumping into the geometry. They couldn’t get out and I couldn’t get to them. Had to kill myself and start again. This happened twice. And it also happened to my son on his playthrough,

The big bugbear of having a limited time in the dark or at night amounts to nothing once you’ve leveled up a bit. I had tons of inhibitors and rarely needed to use them. 2/3ds of the way through the main game I think the devs just gave up as there were UV lights everywhere.

Anyway, the main offender here is the design. Don’t get me wrong, the parkour stuff is great, and as you unlock new moves and ways to navigate, it gets better. Combat is fine but ultimately not very nuanced. Initially it seems like they want you do use these parkour combat maneuvers. There’s even a tutorial about how important this will be. But none of it matters. Combat is rote. Get the dropkick move and you’re good to go. I ended up with parkour and combat skill points I was having trouble allocating because none of the skills looks interesting or useful.

Others have mentioned this, but night isn’t nearly as scary or dangerous in the first game. And they clearly wanted you to go out at night as lots of optional/looting areas are night only. I did a few at the beginning as I figured I’d need lots of stuff for crafting and merchants. Not so.

The lack of depth manifests the most in the weapon, clothing, crafting, and upgrade system. Basically the entire economy of Dying Light 2. Literally none of it matters. There are a crap ton of weapons. As you progress through the story, the game makes sure you get powerful ones to deal with any tough fight. There’s no meaningful reason to upgrade your weapons. I tried out a few, but often forget to do it as I got more powerful ones which seemed to dispatch everything without much effort.

For clothing, I just looked at the big number at the top. If it was higher than what I had, I swapped it out. There are these minuscule bonuses to things like stamina recovery time, but again, none of this mattered.

Crafting and upgrading. I crafted bandages, knives, and molotovs. I started upgrading stuff, but never bothered to keep doing it because I was plenty powerful to deal with anything. I never figured out if the crystals were good for anything. I guess I sold them? I don’t know, I always had a ton of money.

This is a great example of a game that has a decent core game loop… parkour and zombie combat. Then they muck it up with a bunch of “things that need to be in modern games”. Incremental upgrades, loot chases, crafting, factions. The game doesn’t do any of these things well and it had a real impact on my ability to enjoy what Dying Light 2 does right.

On to Elden Ring (which I’m already enjoying a lot).

Yeah, plus the scavenging economy.

Agree completely that this equipment grind is everywhere. It’s in Elex2, and from what I hear HZD2… I hope Elden Ring is spared. I don’t mind it existing, but I would like the odd game where the sword is the sword and that’s it.

It’s bananas in HZD2. Even the first upgrade for the top tier of weapons is a bit of a grind. Trying to upgrade all the weapons you use to max level would easily double the length of the game. One advantage it does have over DL2 is a lack of weapon degradation. I’d be much more inclined to upgrade weapons in DL2 if they weren’t going to break after a couple of quests.

On the other hand, in DL you have an incentive to add sparks! Curious system :)

I’m not at all against adding Sparks to things.

There is an in game charm for that.

Patchez!

And it was a big one! I was trying to figure out why internet was crawling this morning until I saw this 3GB+ beast had come down.

I was having this problem too so I stopped playing for a while. I’m hoping today’s patch fixes it. Downloading now…

EDIT: Yep, fixed.

I finally finished the main campaign. It was a solidly mediocre experience. The story was terrible. Like, pants-on-head stupid. I can’t even really fathom how dumb it was, and combined with the terrible boss fights and linear chase sections, I can’t recommend the campaign to anyone.

What was Waltz’ plan anyway? He needed the key to something something his daughter Mia, but for some reason that also caused the missile launches, and all along you were never Mia’s brother? WTF. Hey, choose between saving the inexplicable love interest you’ve known for like a few days or your just revealed non-sister. Who cares by that point? You walk into the sunset away from the city, forever exiled from humanity, but not really because you just become another Pilgrim in the city for post-campaign free roam.

By the end, I was just yelling “Shut up!” at my screen.

The open world missions were only marginally better because at least most of them allowed you the freedom to do what you wanted. On the other hand, all of the inter-faction conflict was dumb as hell. I have no urge to keep playing free roam.

The game is saved by the great parkour and somewhat engaging combat, but only just barely.

Agreed to all of the above.

I am clearing up some map icons before doing the final quest, which warns you before accepting it. Currently at 47 hours played.

Unlocked all the windmills also tonight, loved the climbing puzzles in this game.

Also let me tell you folks, after the first metro station unlock, activating each additional station was so damn boring. And the area under the metro stations with the generators makes no damn sense, absolute shit repetitive level design. At least the power stations and water towers were enjoyable to activate.

Also game fact that I didn’t see mentioned anywhere. You can bash open any door that needs to be lock picked. So that is actually a really useful skill to choose early.

I was thinking this is the worst writing I’ve ever seen in a videogame. The ire faded a bit when the plot left you alone but dayum.

@Lordkosc - but don’t let us put you off those fun last missions!

Since you can free roam after the campaign, you don’t need to wrap those up first if you prefer to move ahead. There are probably a few story related optional quests that disappear forever when you opt in to the final quest, but most activities are still available.

I always find it so dumb when these openworld games have an ending that precludes playing further (like here, leaving Villedor) but after credits dump me back into the city as if nothing happened. So dumb.

Finished Elex 2 last night and not only does everyone notice that the big plot event has happened, they give you a nice reason to travel round the game world again.