Dying Light 2 - Zombies, parkour, and decisions

Also, an update was released today.

Community Update is our effort in listening to the voice of all gamers in the ways of improving their experience in the City. This update is live now! Furthermore, we treat this initiative as a long-term plan. So this is just the first patch of this type, as there will be many more to come.

Community Update #1 includes the highly requested features our players were dying 2 have:

• New color grading option “Gritty” for a game looking akin to the 2019 gameplay presentations

• More Biters are now roaming the streets of the City

• Bitters are now more aggressive during the night

• Increased number of Special Infected during the night

• Volatiles hide in Dark Hollows and Forsaken Stores during the day

• Virals are more vigilant

• Weapon mods can now increase a weapon’s maximum durability

• Image clarity and graphic enhancements (all)

• Improved GPU memory management on PC in DX12 mode, especially with RT enabled (PC)

• Added AMD FSR 2.0 support on PC (PC)

I’ve recently started to go back and play New Game +. Looking forward to checking out this patch.

Just ran into a bug where I just got 75 inhibitors from crate where I should have only gotten 1. GRE Lab in Lower Dam. Now I have 25 upgrades available. The ding “new skill point available” was going off over and over for a minute. Now I am kind of sad.

New patch and chapter content incoming:

Patch notes: https://dyinglightgame.com/news/update-1-6-0/

The Bloody Ties story DLC was released this week. A loose story wrapped around arena/gladiator combat essentially. Glad to have it as an excuse to dive back in for a while.

Bloody Ties DLC for Dying Light 2 Stay Human is Out Now! (dyinglightgame.com)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1oBDswvxq0

A zombie Christmas…

I have been playing this game for the last week or two (I’m pre-grapple hook, but on the Broadcast quest, which I’ll get to as soon as I do some of the side quests I’ve been neglecting.) The parkour is really fun, the zombie/human bashing is fun (though I don’t do much parkour combat, I’m not sure how to even get that going with zombies), and the story is about as bad as everyone says up-thread.

From what the patch notes look like, they’ve made the game (especially night time) a bit more deadly than it was originally - I’m getting a fair bit of terror at night, there are howlers everywhere waiting to start chases, and there are viral infected always after my ass. It does remind me quite a bit of the terror of the first game, but going into dark zones to salvage stuff is definitely more interesting than DL1.

Like many people up thread, I’m smashing into buildings constantly with the paraglider, and much preferred the lower rooftops of old town where you can really get into a groove running around.

Big patch dropped today along with a new event - something something dismemberment rate up, everybody chop some limbs off (of other people, not yourself. If you could cut off you own head, I’d probably have done it already.)

https://dyinglightgame.com/news/update-1-9-0/

Not gonna lie, this segment was some pretty crazy stuff. I’m definitely a bit afraid of heights, so this was…a lot.

I’m super afraid of heights and this building… was rough. I think the taller buildings in DL2 directly lead to my controller death grip and wrecked my old- and weak- ass elbow.

The sloped solar-paneled section took me a fair bit of time. When I played, I didn’t realize how you could use the grappling hook to boost you up in consecutive short bursts as demonstrated in that video.

Now that I finished Elden Ring, and the Hitman 3 campaign, I’m looking at what other big game to play. DL2 is looking as a good choice. I imagine it has been properly patched at this point. I remember it had less positive reviews than DL1 at least at start, and I guess they couldn’t ‘patch’ the plot, but is it a good choice?

I mean, I liked it. Slightly less than the first game perhaps, but still enough to play 90 hours of it over few weeks without getting bored. I liked the addition of branching quests and some decision making. Gameplay and atmosphere was great. City was fun to explore. etc

I grabbed it recently after Elden Ring and am enjoying it. Only just opened up the Central area, so long way to go yet but I’m hopeful. I really, really enjoyed number 1 even though the storyline was shite, so not expecting Oscar levels in 2 either.

Enjoyed the heck out of it. The campaign does have truly onerous writing, and the final boss fight is a tedious chore. But truly, DL2 isn’t about the destination, it’s all about the zombies we drop-kicked along the way.

You should play Elex 2!

I played a bit less than 90 hours, but I concur. The parkour is really great (better than the first game, even!) and the combat is pretty fun. When I first got to the 2nd area, I was worried the new equipment would make the parkour trivial, but it really isn’t - there’s still tons of challenges (and harder ones with the communications towers).

If you enjoyed running around in the first one, you’ll enjoy the 2nd too. Just try not to worry too much about the plot, and be wary of the filler side quests that are time trials. (500 hours of gameplay!).

Something I thought I observed but never confirmed: When you take more inhibitors, do you get better night sight? I remember at the start of the game it was pitch black and I couldn’t see a foot in front of my face, but at the end of the game it was almost like daylight. Was that scaled to where you were in quests, or inhibitors, or something else?

You are not kidding. Oooof. There’s ANOTHER STAGE??? (he said repeatedly.)

Guess I’ll have to reinstall this to check it out.

Yeah - I’ve been thinking the same.

Techland really plays the long game with their games and updates, which is pretty cool.