Dying Light 2 - Zombies, parkour, and decisions

The 1.3.0 update is out now. 5.5GB download.

Below please find the detailed Patch content:

New Game+

• After finishing it once, the game can be replayed again, only this time with modified game parameters in place to encourage a second playthrough by the implementation of a unique system and experience. The player can now go through the story with revitalized mechanisms. These include new enemy behaviors, more difficult encounters, new objects within the world, namely the newly added inhibitors, and many more changes that will significantly alter the gameplay style and allow the player to develop their character further. All of this is only available in New Game+!
    • 30 new inhibitors
    • New platinum objectives for parkour challenges
    • Updated distribution of the enemies (f.e. Volatiles and Banshee spawn during the night, a wider variety of enemy pools in encounters)
    • A new legendary weapon tier added
    • Gold encounters added
    • Enemy difficulty scales with the player level

Co-op Updates

• Fixed connection and stability issues in co-op

• Fixed connection issues with the players who are further advanced inthe story
    • Improved game performance in co-op
  • Co-op story blocks

• Fixed an issue that caused blocked progression in a single player game mode after a co-op session
    • Fixed few remaining death loops in co-op
    • Fixed an issue with a missing NPC during the Missing People quest in a co-op session
  • Co-op quality

• Improved weapon visualization in online menu and inventory
    • Improved handling of challenges requirements in co-op
    • Fixed random bandit respawns while players are still in the bandit camp
    • Fixed issues with the player being unable to access inventory or map after dying several times in co-op
    • Fixed blocked story progression with ā€ženemies nearbyā€ notification
    • Fixed rare issue when a player canā€™t move after a revive
    • Fixes for far away peer respawn from the host and respawning in geometry
    • Fixed AI jitter in random cases
    • Improved various animations in co-op ā€“ f.e. crouching, throwing, using the bow, and more
    • Fixed sound duplication in co-op
    • Fixed rare cases of unresponsive quest radio dialog in co-op, causing story blocks
    • Fixed the display of incorrect icons on the map after a co-op party
    • Fixed ā€œcall for helpā€ when the player is being summoned during a gather in co-op
    • Fixed black screens in certain situations that could cause progression blockers during co-op progression
    • Fixed unnecessary ā€œskill requirementā€ text-glitch in the description of a challenge in a co-op session
    • Updated the time of tutorial windows to 30 seconds during the co-op sessions
    • Fixed a bug that allows player to have multiple story quests active

Content Update

• Mutated Infected ā€“ New quest added Something Big Has Been Here, which included special elemental Goon variants

Gameplay Updates

• Enemies with bows are less annoying ā€” decreased damage output
  • Completed achievements are correctly awarded upon completion. This works for the achievements that were obtained before the update as well
  • Fixed a bug that was causing Howlers and Screamers to become invulnerable to damage
  • Fixed a possibility to fast travel between map regions after completing various quests
  • Fixed a random AI bug of Human encounters
  • Fixed infected invulnerability to arrows
  • Fixed missing rewards after Bandit encounters
  • Fixed the Virals patrol movement in GRE facilities
  • Grappling Hook. Tweaked pull limitations, longer swings will reset the vertical pull values; pulls will have a bigger first value

Quest Updates

• Fixed a bug related to wall-clipping during the Letā€™s Waltz quest
  • Fixed a bug of the player getting stuck after using an inhibitor, or opening inventory after obtaining inhibitor in the Markers of Plague quest
  • Fixed the map display bug in The Only Way Out quest
  • Fixed the disappearance of Hakon in the Into The Darkness quest after playing in co-op
  • Fixed Sophieā€™s inaccessible position in The Raid quest

UI/UX Updates

• Added FOV slider on PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X
  • Improved UI textures optimization
  • Fixed issues related to switching between keyboard and controller
  • Fixed inhibitor pop-up message in Markers of Plague quest
  • Fixed quest display in journal
  • Fixed tutorial window display
  • Fixed weapon durability display, quest tracking, and inventory management on ASUS ROG Zephyrus Duo second display
  • Aiden should no longer T-pose in the main menu
  • Fixed crashes related to launching the game in 5760Ɨ1080 resolution
  • Fixed display of incorrect numbers on Immunity Bar
  • Minor changes to PC key bindings

Technical Updates

• Improved game stability
  • Several crash sources fixed
  • Improved the stability of frame rate in various places on the map
  • Fixed multiple bugs that allowed players to see and fall outside map texture
  • Fixed occasional texture glitches in various places on the map
  • Fixed various audio glitches

ā€¦and numerous additional bug fixes and quality improvements.

I am not sure Iā€™d want to try and endure the story a second time.

The only story choice Iā€™m interested in changing is unfortunately the final one to let Lawan prevent the missile strike. That way I could avoid creation of all the fogged/destroyed areas of town.

Not too certain my zombie kicking parkour enthusiasm can carry me through the story and the horrible final boss sequence just to make that one adjustment.

1st story DLC has been delayed until September. Updated roadmap:

Chapter 1

This is now the third RT game in a row where Iā€™m getting pretty good performance (mid 70s, low 80s fps) on max details, with DLSS set to quality, on an RTX 3060 TI to boot. Super impressed. Game looks gorgeous and plays like a dream. Looking forward to do a deeper dive.

And Iā€™m starting to think that CP77 was an unfortunate exception to the RT implementation, given how much it tanks performance. No denying it looks fantastic though, RT on or off.

Has Dying Light 2 been patched very much since release? Reviews here didnā€™t seem very good, Iā€™m wondering if it was patched up enough to be worth a playthrough now?

I think the gameplay was solid - plot kind of fell apart, so not really patchable.

Yeah, gameplay was fine. The core parkour and zombie-bashing was good. Maybe not quite as solid as the first Dying Light, but I think that comes down to the increase in human enemies and lame base takeover stuff.

The story was ehhhhhhhh. It was dumb, but whatever.

The loot was terrible this time around though. I dunno what it was, but it never gelled for me.

The change to the grappling hook between DL1 and DL2 made me sad.

Yeah. Also the DL2 graphic engine was clearly superior, but I think DL1ā€™s style worked better for me.

That said, I played through the campaign, and Iā€™m looking forward to DLC expansions despite the lame plot.

Did the whole idea of evolving cities have a big role in the final game?

Not a huge role, no. You got some parkour-type stuff added if you backed one faction and traps if you backed another. I think. Itā€™s been a while. Taking over stuff to give to the factions was quite fun though.

I remember them hyping this up as a major element of the game, and it feels like it was only half implemented.

Iā€™ve up to about 80 hours in the game and not have gone too far into the main story line. Here are some thoughts.

The gameplay loop of parkour + zombie bashing is very good. Movement is fluid and zombie bashing is impactful. Very similar to the first game. There was an outcry about having to unlock basic skills like power attack and dropkick. I found that skill points are not to terribly difficult to come by if you like the running around and hitting stuff loop.

My issue with the skill trees is the skills seem to be less important. There are three skills for dropping down and hitting an enemy. You can kick them, smash their head, or do an aoe stun. Does it matter? Not really. It is an opener in the fight to come, the real meat and potatoes is: dodge, hit with pipe. Why are there 4 skills to deal with the opener? That said, the dodge and pipe play is excellent.

The parkour skill tree unlocks basically make you more fluid and faster when traversing. You can still do it without the skills but you will feel a bit hobbled at first compared to the first game. The issue is that none of it matters once you get out of the intro area. The city part of the map is so vertical (30 story buildings) that parkour becomes a non issue. There are tools to traverse this new downtown area but the height of the buildings makes traversing the map more of a puzzle of which smaller building can I get up to, to then step up to a medium building to get to the tall building. It breaks the parkour and changes to a less effective spiderman game.

The changing world and which side to choose is less important that the 2 year before release trailers. It changes some terrain but not in an important way (see vertical city rant above). It seems like they started from a Empire vs Rebels choice and then made the Empire softer and thee Rebels harder to introduce ā€œshades of grey.ā€ In my opinion they over corrected and made the Empire kind of nice and the Rebels kind of freedom at any cost.

The game is very brown. I wish they would have gone a different direction with the timeline but this one is set in end times and you are in Zion from the Matrix. Not sure where you go for Dying Light 3, but I am 50 years old and will almost certainly be infirm by the time it comes out so.

I seem to be coming down on the negative side but it is a great game. Great gameplay loop. I just liked the first one a bit more.

Love the action in this game and wish I could actually play it again. I think I noted upthread that my intense fear of heights + death grip on Xbox controller = bad tennis elbow. Ended up at a doctor and it wouldnā€™t go away and ended up taking a cortisone shot that might have helpedā€¦

As someone who had 4 cortisone shots in a year and a halfā€¦oof.

Donā€™t take them so lightly, seriously. I ended up with endocrine complications because of it. Itā€™s very unlikely because itā€™s administered locally, but like with topical application, it can still get in your system.

Thanks. My doc is super conservative with cort shots, so Iā€™m hoping for no bad outcomes like that :-\